Where is DCI?

Yes, I agree with you, as do many older real Drum and Bugle fans.

Nothing at all is going to be done to bring back any of the things that we enjoyed, so you might as well get used to all the Artsy Fartsy stuff, because it's here to stay.

And, none of the current "Marching Bands on Steroids" seem willing to integrate some of the old school stuff into their shows.

This is the first time in many many years that I will not attend a single show. I always go to either San Antonio, Atlanta or one of the smaller local shows, but not any longer. I'm no longer a paying DCI customer because I'm not entertained by what I see on the field.

The Lafayette Louisiana Show is going on as we speak and I'm sitting here right next door in Baton Rouge, but have no interest in driving the 50 miles west. (Not even to get one of my Deano's Hamburger Po-Boy's) Not interested in "Marching Broadway Theater and Ballet on a football......................

i understand completely because i might get there someday

the increasing destruction of the line between DCI and BOA/WGI is a little distressing

but the performance quality from those who choose to march DCI is unmatched

it's a very different set of skills to appreciate, and a very different design aesthetic to enjoy compared to DCI from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s

i never marched dci, so i'm sure it's much more of an adjustment for those who did, but honestly, i've usually only enjoyed maybe 4-5 shows per year. it's actually gone up for me of late. i didn't think that would be the case since i have no desire to attend a WGI/BOA event, but there it is.

Edited by Lance

Many many old fogie drum corps people are doing just that.

Like I said, the new generation will fill their gap.

DCI's attendance numbers would like to speak with those of you who think drum corps is dead.

As a music educator who works with high school band kids, let me say this: the kids love drum corps. I love drum corps. Its still drum corps. Old fogies can either get with the program or stay at home and listen to their 1960's VFW championship records.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I am so sick of posts from people who show up here or on facebook just to bemoan the loss of symmetrical drill and piston-rotar bugles. If you don't like going to shows anymore, I'm sorry that you aren't open to being amazed by what those kids are doing on the field. As for DCI and the corps, believe me, they won't miss your money. For every dinosaur that decides to drop out, twelve high school kids and/or more recent alumni will take your place.

I agree with you, but I'd also say it never hurts to have a forum where young and old can come together and debate the issues of the day. DCP is just such a forum. I think it's good we hear from those who were around in the 50s, 60s, 70s. They have a lot of history to share. Some of those dinos (aka old timers) have adapted quite well to modern DCI. Some have a harder time. Totally understandable.

I've been attending live shows since 1979. I still love it, but I've had my moments, especially when amplification and electronics were first allowed. For a while it felt odd, and the narration that many kept trying to shove down our throats just felt out of place. Do I hate synth bass or electric bass? Sometimes. Depends on the balancing. But for the most part I have adjusted to the electronics and actually quite like it, if balanced well and used musically.

I love that attendance has grown at shows. I definitely see the activity today as moving in a positive direction and am thrilled so many young people love it. I do not compare today's DCI to the 70s or 80s, nor did I feel the 70s/80s had to be like the 50s and 60s.. Different eras.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

DCI's attendance numbers would like to speak with those of you who think drum corps is dead.

As a music educator who works with high school band kids, let me say this: the kids love drum corps. I love drum corps. Its still drum corps. Old fogies can either get with the program or stay at home and listen to their 1960's VFW championship records.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I am so sick of posts from people who show up here or on facebook just to bemoan the loss of symmetrical drill and piston-rotar bugles. If you don't like going to shows anymore, I'm sorry that you aren't open to being amazed by what those kids are doing on the field. As for DCI and the corps, believe me, they won't miss your money. For every dinosaur that decides to drop out, twelve high school kids and/or more recent alumni will take your place.

Here is some VFW champs (prelims) from 1971 for you... :tounge2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_qdK3xJcek

But I do get the gist of your post. The link was actually the second to last year before I stopped marching, but I absolutely LOVE seeing modern drum corps, and looking at the crowds it seems a lot of people love it.

• Like 2

Like I said, the new generation will fill their gap.

Maybe... maybe not. Will the current marchers of all these Corps when they become alums, financially donate at higher levels ( which will be required ) each and every year to their former Corps ? Hope so. But lets face it, the newer generation will be faced with mounting college debts, flat wages, high costs of housing, health care, high taxation, etc that the previous, older generation that now subsidizes all these Corps did not have to endure to the same degree. And the 19-20 trillion dollar extraordinarily irresponsible overspending Fed. " Gummint " Debt is not going to somehow magically disappear because few pols or taxpayers are paying attention to it at the moment.

Edited by BRASSO

71 Yankee Doodle and a peace sign. Nice!

Did you see all the judges sauntering around the field?

Am I cross-pollinating threads?

Edited by c mor
  • Like 1

71 Yankee Doodle and a peace sign. Nice!

everybody knew " Yankee Doodle ", and everybody knew the " peace sign ". Little to no confusion in Corps shows among either audiences or judges back then.

Judges before the season began did not need to meet with the show designers for any " splainin " to the confused judges over coffee and pastry as to what in hades a Corps would be attempting to convey in its contemplative, navel gazing, 10 minute "messaging" to the judges with its performance that season. There were things that worked well back then, and things that in retrospect did not work so well. Same as today in that respect, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

everybody knew " Yankee Doodle ", and everybody knew the " peace sign ". Little to no confusion in Corps shows among either audiences or judges back then.

Judges before the season began did not need to meet with the show designers for any " splainin " to the confused judges over coffee and pastry as to what in hades a Corps would be attempting to convey in its contemplative, navel gazing, 10 minute "messaging" to the judges with its performance that season. There were things that worked well back then, and things that in retrospect did not work so well. Same as today in that respect, imo.

Though for that particular show, we did pass out a printed libretto in the stands, a decade prior to Regiment.

Along the lines of what worked and did not work with the judges...A good percentage of the older drum judges, sad to say, did not understand George Tuthill's percussion score. What we started with and what we ended up with were VERY different as he pulled apart his initial score.

• Like 1

All in the name of change, DCI is no longer enjoyable to watch or even listen to (not even for free on YouTube). I pray someone figures it out real quickly before the entire activity goes down the tube. If I wanted BOA, I can just wait until band season. Enough will all of the crap talking, singing, 3 value horns, strings, trombones and various other electronics/ musical instruments that was reserved for marching bands. The judging community could use a major facelift too.

No were.

No were.

Its the orbit phase. Once emc2 passes in his voyage over the moon, he generally comes back to the oxygen field in his reentry phase in his spacecraft, and then he is more communicative to ground control with his flight observations on his voyage. From my watch, he should be reaching his reentry stage shortly. So everybody here on the ground, just be a little bit more patient with him, as I fully expect a successful reentry soon.

Edited by BRASSO