Where is DCI?

I'd say the reason you no longer have the PBS broadcast at least is because you no longer have Bill Cook. He was the driving force behind that whole deal. When he left the activity, so did PBS. I don't think that's a coincidence and it has NOTHING to do with the product on the field. I was once lamenting the current product and attendance but I'd say over the last 8-10 years, we've seen a return to very entertaining shows and the shows I've gone to have been packed and close to capacity. Those who don't like the current product (not directed at you) have been crying about the imminent demise of the activity going back to my days in the early 90s but I don't see the end in sight. There are new band kids being made every year to replace those whose tastes refuse to evolve. Hey, there's nothing wrong with Elvis. Just don't get mad at the current generation if they don't like Elvis and everything else from your generation.

PBS had a very good pledge to receipt rate in the early going in their relationship with DCI..... sufficient enough for many years for PBS to consider the relationship with DCI a good enough one to continue the Finals broadcast either live or on delay for Sept. viewing around the country. But over the years, there was a noticeable drop off between pledges and receipts.... then even the pledges themselves began to decline. Bill Cook, nor any other single indivjdual, had anything at all to do with the diminishment of both pledges, and receipt of monies received diminishment. Elvis had nothing to do with the DCI Finals broadcaat pledge decline . Elvis had nothing to do with DCI 's loss of TV exposure for its marchers at Finals. That said, I will agree with you that DCI is not dead, but Elvis is, no matter what anybody tries and tells you.

As for music from the 60's 70's. 80's, some of the biggest grossing concert acts every year are still filled with groups playing the same schtick they did in the 60's 70's, 80's. There are TONS of 20 Somethings in the audience too. And I mean TONS of them. Maybe you don't go to these concerts.. and thus not aware. So this notion that music from eatrlier decades is not appealing to most young people, is certainly not borne out by the gross receipts and attendance figures that is available, Now, whether marching band fans go to these rock and roll concerts, I wouldn't know, as nobody asks you if you do marching band at these concerts that I go to every year.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I'd say the reason you no longer have the PBS broadcast at least is because you no longer have Bill Cook. He was the driving force behind that whole deal. When he left the activity, so did PBS. I don't think that's a coincidence and it has NOTHING to do with the product on the field. I was once lamenting the current product and attendance but I'd say over the last 8-10 years, we've seen a return to very entertaining shows and the shows I've gone to have been packed and close to capacity. Those who don't like the current product (not directed at you) have been crying about the imminent demise of the activity going back to my days in the early 90s but I don't see the end in sight. There are new band kids being made every year to replace those whose tastes refuse to evolve. Hey, there's nothing wrong with Elvis. Just don't get mad at the current generation if they don't like Elvis and everything else from your generation.

I still can't understand why DCI cant get some type of broadcast deal given the fact that there are now 300+ TV channels. I can surf through my hundreds of channels & find reality shows about darn near everything. Many of these shows are absolutly ridiculous & terrible. I would think that someone in the TV world would be interested in a show about drum corps. I have posted before about this. DCI needs to get with the times & embrace TV & mobile apps for fan use. Having said all that, I don't think DCI wants finals on free TV because it would kill their DCI live revenue. This is a dangerous & shortsighted view in my opinion. TV exposure would be great for the activity.

I still can't understand why DCI cant get some type of broadcast deal given the fact that there are now 300+ TV channels. I can surf through my hundreds of channels & find reality shows about darn near everything. Many of these shows are absolutly ridiculous & terrible. I would think that someone in the TV world would be interested in a show about drum corps. I have posted before about this. DCI needs to get with the times & embrace TV & mobile apps for fan use. Having said all that, I don't think DCI wants finals on free TV because it would kill their DCI live revenue. This is a dangerous & shortsighted view in my opinion. TV exposure would be great for the activity.

The most recent experiment, ESPN, was not free - DCI had to pay for the time slot. As you'd expect, DCI doesn't draw a lot of advertiser $$ so broadcasters have little incentive to show it.

I'm sure there's no opposition to it - if a modern day Bill Cook showed up and wanted to sponsor a DCI broadcast, I doubt they'd say no - but the cost/benefit of the the ESPN broadcast was pretty bad.

Edit: I think DCI has made some good choices with the Cinecast for broader exposure. They're likely to get close to 50k cinecast attendees this year, by far the biggest audience of the season.

Edited by ShortAndFast
  • Like 1

The most recent experiment, ESPN, was not free - DCI had to pay for the time slot. As you'd expect, DCI doesn't draw a lot of advertiser $$ so broadcasters have little incentive to show it.

I'm sure there's no opposition to it - if a modern day Bill Cook showed up and wanted to sponsor a DCI broadcast, I doubt they'd say no - but the cost/benefit of the the ESPN broadcast was pretty bad.

Edit: I think DCI has made some good choices with the Cinecast for broader exposure. They're likely to get close to 50k cinecast attendees this year, by far the biggest audience of the season.

Absolutely spot-on.

Additionally, online streaming is *the* way to market to everyone. It's cheaper, far cheaper, than buying time on a tv network, and you can reach the audience anywhere on almost any device. Especially if you're aiming the broadcast at the next generation...kids.

• Like 2

That's fair, but back in the day (80s and 90s) you would meet people at shows who were there for the first time, and loved it. Now, it's by and large alumni, bandos and family of current marching members. I've taken different friends to Stanford and none of them ever asked to go back. In 2013, the two friends I took only liked Crown and Mandarins. In 2015, the friend I took only liked Regiment. In 2016, only liked Madison. One corps each year. The problem is, DCI is bringing in no new fans that weren't directly involved or indirectly involved with the activity. You can argue with me up and down and left and right, but it is true. The fact his there were a hell of lot more people in Camp Randall in 1985 than Indianapolis last year.

I'm sorry, the activity has to evolve I know, but the way corps are rewarded creates boring shows with NO musicality, it's all chop and bop and snippets of umpteen pieces, designed to show off skill rather than entertain the crowd. Hornlines play for what seems like 1/2 the show. They do body movements more than marching a readible drill. Guards spend more time prancing around the field than doing guard work in unison.

I'm all for evolution, but not at the expense of entertainment. You and I love this activity. Take someone to any show, who has never seen drum corps before, and I guarantee they will be bored and not want to come to another show. It's a whole different experience now than it was in the 80s and 90s.

The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it's...

...anecdotal.

The problem with anecdotal evidence is that it's...

...anecdotal.

Well, the numbers speak. Far less people go to shows today than in the 80s or 90s and the season today is shorter. You can spin it all you want, and say it's anecdotal, but aside from bandos, family members and alumni, no one is going to shows.

Well, the numbers speak. Far less people go to shows today than in the 80s or 90s and the season today is shorter. You can spin it all you want, and say it's anecdotal, but aside from bandos, family members and alumni, no one is going to shows.

How many family members follow most kids activities as they did decades ago. Not many, peoples lives are much more complicated today and it by no means has anything to do with music, costumes, marching or dancing etc etc, Its funny also because you reference the 80s and 90s and the people which came before that many believe that those were also the decades which added to the decline of the activity. Then those who felt it died in 1972. How about the entire picture for a change instead of only the parts of the picture which never proves a point but only a partial look at reality.

In reference to your bring someone to a show. I have sent tickets to people around the country and told them bring some friends if you like and in comparison most have looked at it as a very cool show and different entertainment as opposed to back in the day I couldn't get someone to go but when I did they thought it was just a bando thing and marching around a football field and coudnt get them to go again nor did they understand whey we even did it.

So my point is either way, doesn't prove a thing.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Actually, attendance is higher than the 90's.

Mike

No its not.

There were 214 shows in the summer of 1990 across the country ( and into Canada ). By contrast, DCI had only 103 shows last season ( 2015). It is simply not possible for the 103 show's combined national attendance last season to exceed what the 214 show's generated in overall national attendance in 1990. Not possible. I do agree with you however that DCI made some very questionable site decisions in some of the 90's for their Championships. For just one example, when we think ourselves of potentially great sites for DCI Championships, is Jackson, Mississippi on anybody's wish list right now ? I mean... seriously ? Well, guess what ? DCI thought that this should be their ultimate Go To city in 1993. What the hell was DCI thinking ?. Did they pay DCI to use the facilities, stadiums there ? ( haha!) if not, no offense to Jackson, Mississippi in August, but I can easily think of 2,000 other places I'd rather be than in an outdoor stadium in Jackson, Mississippi for DCI's Championships in mid August. DCI's " brain trust " also thought an outdoor stadium in Orlando, Florida in mid August should be a Go To city for their Championships in the 90's as well. Who came in as DCI's 2nd choice for the Steamy, Hot and Humid Go To City for the DCI's Drum Corps fans in mid August ? Calcutta, India ?

Edited by BRASSO