Where is DCI?

Admittedly, it was a statement of exasperated frustration. But I think you can get the gist of what I was trying to say.

you overestimate him

:ninja:

Incorrect. Drum corps was not marching band & went to great lengths to distance itself from band...until DCI put all of the judging circuits out of business & amplification, trombones, guitars, & body movement & prancing became the norm.

not true at all. You are right about wanting to distance ourselves BITD but it was only because we were trying to deny that we were the geeky nerds we thought we saw in band. Little did we realize the outside world still thought of us that way which made us deny it all the more. Took years for me to also admit that but imo it's true.

• Like 4

The world is constantly changing. Many organizations in all walks of life thrive & grow. The drum corps activity has shrunk & declined in a big big way.

so have the Legions, VFW's and churches that sponsored many of those corps

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

so have the Legions, VFW's and churches that sponsored many of those corps

Yes. So you agree that the drum corps activity has shrunk dramatically.

Incorrect. Drum corps was not marching band & went to great lengths to distance itself from band...until DCI put all of the judging circuits out of business & amplification, trombones, guitars, & body movement & prancing became the norm.

Yes, because marching bands had amplification, guitars, body movement, and prancing in the 70s. I'll give you trombones, obviously, but the activities have never been THAT different. I watched an interview from the early 70s with a corps director, I believe, and when asked what the difference between a drum corps and marching band was, it was the markings on the field. That was all he said. No need to be elitist. Thanks to marching band the kids in drum corps can actually... I don't know... Read music?
  • Like 2

That's all you got?

Correction. That's all you have?

Sorry for the quick response and not correctly adding the punctuation . I hate doing postings on a phone and often on a bus or in an airport lately BUT, yes that's all he has I think. It is usually how some respond when they can't respond to facts or when forced to look at an entire post or the bigger picture. Oh well, bless their hearts..lol

Yes, because marching bands had amplification, guitars, body movement, and prancing in the 70s. I'll give you trombones, obviously, but the activities have never been THAT different. I watched an interview from the early 70s with a corps director, I believe, and when asked what the difference between a drum corps and marching band was, it was the markings on the field. That was all he said. No need to be elitist. Thanks to marching band the kids in drum corps can actually... I don't know... Read music?

Wrong. Drum corps & marching bands were verrrrry different BITD.