Warrensburg Wateringhole

If The Cadets get that show clean, and their feet clean, they will hang with anyone in the music captions...brass, drums, or total ensemble. Their problem is selling the general effect, making sense of the show, and ultimately cleaning it as they fix the back end of the show. It's definitely an uphill battle, but they are good at cleaning and polishing.

I still give SCV the better shot to take 4th at Finals. Just an overall better show top to bottom.

I don't disagree. But historically (well - the last 8 years or so) Cadets have been better at cleaning. With the changes both programs this year who knows, maybe that will change

• Like 1

Hasn't it always been that way? Has any corps ever won at Finals with G.E. that was ranked below, say, third?

No. Corps can finish 6th, 7th in brass or drums and win a DCI Title, but can't do it if the overall GE score is below 3rd.....or their Guard.. in modern times, anyway.

The weirdest score was a Corps that won the Percussion caption in the Prelims at DCI Championships one year,. 1st in all 4 percussion subcaptions, & with both DCI Percussion judges too. But their entire Percussion section had to buy a ticket to Finals ( or get a freebie ), as their Corps failed to make Finals Top 12. Thats unreal, imo. ( 1977. It was the Oakland Crusaders, from Canada).

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Why? We need to remember that GE does not mean "show design". GE is a performance-derived caption.

Yes, and no. Its both.

No. Corps can finish 6th, 7th in brass or drums and win a DCI Title, but can't do it if the overall GE score is below 3rd.....or their Guard.. in modern times, anyway.

The weirdest score was a Corps that won the Percussion caption in the Prelims at DCI Championships one year, but their entire percussion line had to buy a ticket to Finals ( or get a freebie ), as their Corps failed to make Finals Top 12. Thats unreal, imo. ( 1977 maybe ? it was the De La Salle Oaklands, from Canada).

It was the Oakland Crusaders

• Like 1

I guess I should have said GE doesn't ONLY mean show design. That IS a part of it, indeed.

I just think a lot of people think that GE is ONLY the show. They get mad when their corps has a great show, but doesn't execute well. Or when their corps is very talented but has a sub-par design, so it doesn't make sense when they don't score well in either of these situations.

The best groups has top notch talent and top notch design, at the same time. Period.

not sure that's how i'd characterize it. but ok.

it's not really hard to take a recap and type it into excel and publish that

or screenshot the recap (like i saw elsewhere)

DCI can do what map companies did to prevent forgeries, create fake towns. IE change a number for the BD on the Blue Stars recap, and vise versa.

I guess I should have said GE doesn't ONLY mean show design. That IS a part of it, indeed.

I just think a lot of people think that GE is ONLY the show. They get mad when their corps has a great show, but doesn't execute well. Or when their corps is very talented but has a sub-par design, so it doesn't make sense when they don't score well in either of these situations.

The best groups has top notch talent and top notch design, at the same time. Period.

True. The thinking behind performance being important in the GE score, is the sentiment that no show design can be quite as compelling as it could be, if the performance execution of it is not what it can, or should be. Its a bit more complicated than this, but its a good enough snapshot of it, without getting bogged down in the detail.

N.E. Brigand provided an excellent detailed explanation of it right from DCI itself on this thread above.

Edited by BRASSO