Warrensburg Wateringhole

EDIT: I judge GE and Music in a few marching band circuits where the sheets are literally designed after DCI/BOA.

Same here. We use an almost verbatim BOA sheet, and by those parameters the GE scores are not at all surprising.

I mean, maybe, but there's 3 sub-captions in there. It is entirely possible that those were stratified and just added up to what we got.

You are absolutely correct .....but if those are the only recaps DCI will let me see, thats my stand and I'm sticking too it....... and maybe instead of stratified, they were in cahoots !!! We'll never know. DCI does itself a dis-service by squashing information. Lack of information is fodder for the conspiracy theorists. That decision should have been scrapped a long time ago.

Yes. There are extensive points of comparison for judging GE outlined in judging sheets. Just because you have never seen them doesn't mean they don't exist and doesn't mean the judges don't know how to use them.

EDIT: I judge GE and Music in a few marching band circuits where the sheets are literally designed after DCI/BOA.

Jesus dude. I've been in or following this activity for about 30 years. I've seen a judging sheet. Clearly you're touchy about this, which proves what I thought. It's entirely up to the judge.

Edited by caliswift

Jesus dude. I've been in or following this activity for about 30 years. I've seen a judging sheet. Clearly your touchy about this, which proves what I thought. It's entirely up to the judge.

"WHAT EVEN DOES GE MEAN?"

"Well there is a sheet for that and the judges know it well"

"DON'T YOU SASS ME, YOU TOUCHY SOUL, I KNOW WHAT IT IS"

• Like 1

GE caption is 40% of the scores, by the way. Performers, no matter how well they play their brass, or drums, or twirl their flags can not save a subpar designed show. But a Corps can finish out of the top 3 in a performance execution caption ( like Percussion ), if the GE is there and the Guard is top notch. BD, Bluecoats, Crown look to me as if they have the show design to potentially win it all this season, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

GE caption is 40% of the scores, by the way. Performers, no matter how well they play their brass, or drums, or twirl their flags can not save a subpar designed show. But a Corps can finish out of the top 3 in a performance caption ( like Percussion ), if the GE is there and the Guard is top notch. BD, Bluecoats, Crown look to me as if they have the show design to potentially win it all this season, imo.

Hasn't it always been that way? Has any corps ever won at Finals with G.E. that was ranked below, say, third?

GE caption is 40% of the scores, by the way. Performers, no matter how well they play their brass, or drums, or twirl their flags can not save a subpar designed show. But a Corps can finish out of the top 3 in a performance execution caption ( like Percussion ), if the GE is there and the Guard is top notch. BD, Bluecoats, Crown look to me as if they have the show design to potentially win it all this season, imo.

I really can't stand this. GE should probably be around 20% of the score.

• Like 1

Crown's show is the easiest show for me to enjoy. I get goosebumps during Roxanne and I'd pick their music as my favorite across the board. I think it's crazy they didn't move up higher than they were last night. They don't seem to be trying to do anything different or stand out from the crowd, they do it naturally by just putting on a great show with music I get really into. I've seen their show live 4 times and the soloists NEVER crack. Did anyone else see the guard members doing literal flips? The part during the fight over Roxanne in the bar and the Robber kicks at the "son" (or good guy, whatever) and the Son flips backwards?! I LOST MY ####.

Tonight's Bluecoats show was the first time I really loved it. I hate to admit that although I'm not a dinosaur, I've agreed with a lot of dinosaurs about how loud and WGI coats are this year. I'm a long-time fan of Bloo, but until tonight I wasn't into this show. I think it has a lot to do with this being my first time watching their show on a live feed. I've only ever seen their show in person and it's always too synthy and loud to not get overwhelmed. It seems like something you guys have picked up on before and an issue they've fixed for tonight. But they were amazing tonight and I would have placed them before Devils.

Blue Devils show I've only seen once, and it was tonight on the live feed - I really enjoyed it. The middle dance number is cool, but I don't get it at all and the transition from that piece to the next is super abrupt and out of place. I truly hate the transition (not the dance piece itself) and I want them to figure that part out.

But seriously, I really really liked Blue Devil's show. I'm not a massive fan of BD, the fact they win every year makes being a lover and follower of the 'sport' of DCI really frustrating for me, but you just gotta hand it to talent and a smart show. I think there's a lot that can be added to their show. It still feels really empty in a lot of places….could be another gold year for BD (sigh….but also, I'd be happy for them :) ).

If it were up to me, I'd put any one of them up for gold this year and say it was well deserved. Crown's my favorite, followed by Bloo and Devils in a tie.

• Like 5