Sizzlin' in HOTlanta (DCI Southeast, Atlanta - July 30th)

It's pretty easy to hear the difference between tap tap tap and fluff fluff fluff due to minute timing issues. I may not know how to beat a drum, but I can tell when timing is off on attacks.

I was staring at my phone not fully engaged so fair point.

I would go back and listen right now bbbbuuuuuut.

I don't get how Bluecoats are winning based on their musical book. It's just loud repetitive ostinatos over and over.

if so, its because DCI judges love " loud, repetitive ostinatos played over and over "

just kidding.. its not the Brass, Percussion arrangements ( it never is anymore ).. its the Visual Show Design.

When?

About 1/3 way into the show, Mellos were marching a block close to the back sideline behind the stationary ramp. I had nose bleed seats so I saw everything

Not sure how Bluecoats won percussion. I'm no drummer, but even I could hear dirt, especially during segments over the microphones.

1. Part of what you're hearing is not actually what is happening live in the stadium. Instruments playing into mics sound fine inside a stadium or theater provided they are mixed and placed well. An instrument sound through a mic and then captured by another mic on the same field and then fed into a live internet feed where the audio is compressed to some extent is not going to produce the best sound.

2. Just because they are dirty doesn't mean they can't win drums. Others are dirty too. The little bit of dirt bloo has is offset by their amazing musicianship, balance, clarity, phrasing, and musical construction.

• Like 6

Top 6 drum placements

1 - blue coats

2 - SCV

3 - cadets

4 - blue devils

5 - crown

6- cavies

Cadets only have a tad of "restaging" left to accomplish - mostly they will go into full clean mode this week

it will be interesting to see if they can close the small drum gap in the remaining time