Blue Devils Percussion is Currently in 4th place as of 8/6

I am a die hard BD fan and i have no problem dealing with this if the other lines out perform them. If the other lines score better than so be it. I think you want BD fans to have a problem with this so you have a reason to come at us if BD doesn't win next Saturday night.

• Like 1

Based off of what has been leaked I'd assume it's...

1) Bloo

2) SCV

3) Cadets

4) BD

5) Crown

Personally I'd be shocked if Cadets were in top 3 percussion wise. I've seen quite a lot of lots and videos this year and even though Cadets have an amazing unison sound (punches you right in the chest!), they are wildly inconsistent. Nothing to be ashamed of, it is most likely a building year for them and they will always put out a high quality product. There are just a lot of talent this year in other corps.

My thoughts........die hard Blue Devil fans will have trouble dealing with this. You know, there are other talented musicians in other corps and some drum lines are worthy of a better score than the Devils.

Why would we have a problem with it? You're reaching.

Their book is ridiculous, but they're not as clean as they could be.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 2

I think the reality is (and this was even the case last year) that there are a ton of really, really good lines. It's not like BD has a bunch of new people...they return seven snares from last year's Sanford-winning line. I think issues have been two-fold...BD take a 'stage-->refine-->formalize-->clean' approach visually. From my perspective, the percussion ended up buried near midfield and behind the horn line for almost the entire show. In contrast, many of the other lines were right there up front and accessible. With the ensemble percussion sheet, being able to evaluate both the front ensemble and battery is important. This is where they were getting beaten up the worst. Field percussion-wise, it created accessibility problems. Secondly, they've been scoring very high in content, and low in execution. Some really ridiculous stuff being put out there, but you have to do it out on the field as cleanly as you do in the lot...and I see they're already working through those issues.

There has been much talk about the carbon fiber drums as well. I've heard a few drummers I know remark that they couldn't hear the battery (save the bass drums) from the stands. Maybe less "ring" compared with traditional drums? Hard to say, but from what I'm hearing, they project just fine when they have a little bit of room to get the sound out. I already see that restaging with both the percussion and the horns around them has occurred (refine-->formalize). Of course, we can't see the detailed recaps but my understanding from (non-BD) sources is that they were very close in drums on Friday. It wouldn't shock me to see them repeat a drum title, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them place lower...it's just that strong at the top.

This is the key point. Devils book is off the charts difficult. When I first heard it, my jaw dropped.

This is the key point. Devils book is off the charts difficult. When I first heard it, my jaw dropped.

Agreed. I think their percussion is key to this week. If they can clean they have a shot. They clearly have the hardest book. Now can they clean it.

My thoughts........die hard Blue Devil fans will have trouble dealing with this. You know, there are other talented musicians in other corps and some drum lines are worthy of a better score than the Devils.

Are there other talented musicians in other corps that are worthy of a better score than BD?

Do bears s*it in the woods?

Of course other corps are worthy of a higher score, no one is arguing that or finding that hard to believe.

Edited by Cappybara

BD was 4th in prelims last year (.50 penalty), 2nd in semis to CC, and Gold in finals. OP comment unclear to me if staffer was talking about perc or total show.

Does not change the fact that this year as of now spreads at the top and bottom are paper thin, with some middle thrown in. Gonna be an exciting and amazing championship run.

I'll probably get dinged for this, but my impression (from lot and performance videos, granted) is that BD's book is technically maybe a step below the demand in Cadets and SCV's book. It reads that way to me, at least. I thought BDs books during the past couple of years had a slightly higher technical demand quotient than in 2016.

All lines seem to be playing the #### out of their books, at any rate :)

Edited by hughesmr