Too many amplifiers?

Have we all been watching too much politics? The first and sometimes only tool in the political hack game is the ad hominem attack. It diverts attention from arguing the topic by trying to marginalized the person instead. I'd like to think we're a little better than that here. But maybe not. Not today anyway. I said amps were sold based on a premise it would help pit instruments. Then it blew up way beyond that, so much so that it led to creation of a new phrase to describe it: thunderous goo. So, what's incorrect about this argument? Why are there not too many amplifiers?

I do believe drum corps is, perhaps, facing a difficult decision due to "amp-doping," or whatever term applies better. The potential for "overreach" in this area came to me last year at a DCA show with the Caballeros. They projected such a rich and deep closing finish to a couple of numbers that sounded very "Phantom Regiment-like". It was a pleasing, impressive sound, for sure. I just don't think it came enough from human brass players. THAT'S the part I found unsettling. The "where do we go next with this?"

This full-bottom (electronic) chord enhancement NEEDS some restriction. The device is happening so much in DCI, the effect is losing some of its appeal, almost now something to be expected.

This is similar to how I feel about Bluecoats, right now. They are not just a talented, exciting, and a massive fan favorite. They are a trailblazer. A corps that will possibly win it all tonight, but in terms of change, this is another "where do we go next with this?" for me. Even higher amps and ramps? No uniforms at all?

On the other hand, the unknown of DCI evolution is also appealing!

Edited by Fred Windish

Reading comprehension problem? Amps were justified based on allowing proper mallet technique. I never disagreed with that. Please reread my post. My point was, once the door was cracked open, it blew up way beyond use of an amp to facilitate the pit instruments.

false pretenses of "proper mallet technique"

Your words, not mine. I get your comparison to a "pandora's box", but that's not all that you said. There was nothing false about the motivation behind amplification of front ensemble equipment. If that's not what you meant, then you should word things more carefully. There was nothing wrong with my comprehension.

I always thought the usage of amps was based on "The Theory the Second", by Miss Anne Elk. 🤔

Have we all been watching too much politics? The first and sometimes only tool in the political hack game is the ad hominem attack. It diverts attention from arguing the topic by trying to marginalized the person instead. I'd like to think we're a little better than that here. But maybe not. Not today anyway. I said amps were sold based on a premise it would help pit instruments. Then it blew up way beyond that, so much so that it led to creation of a new phrase to describe it: thunderous goo. So, what's incorrect about this argument? Why are there not too many amplifiers?

The only attack here is the one you claim to have suffered

Use of electronics and amplification should be rewarded if good and not when bad. However there are no specific criteria that Im aware of anywhere. Who evaluate's it and what is the parameters.

It certainly IS a "work in progress" as a performance tool. Right now, it seems to growing in use, and in too heavy use, will become an impediment. They'll work this out, I'm sure.