Madison Scouts 2017

They had success with creating new classics in their style. Corps of brothers, 78th & madison... are both great shows of the new regime. I'm hoping they'll look into that methodology. Story, no story, doesn't matter. Just creating something new, using the Madison style seems to have been their best bets.

I might be wrong, but I thought they got rid of the people responsible for those shows and went back to the Scott Boerma/Scott Stewart well?

How about a concept show featuring some in-your-face Latin jazz they haven't played yet?

Quick, when is the last time a latin jazz show made finals? (Love latin jazz....btw)

How about a show involving Han Zimmer's "Man of Steel"? The show could even be titled "Men of Steel".

Edited by Madcityscout

I'm a long time Madison Scouts fan. Have loved them for decades. I don't think things are that bad in Scout land. When I saw them this is what I noticed:

1. Great sound by brass
  2. solid percussion that played a fairly nice book and just needs to continue their development
  3. very good visual drill and marching execution. In fact, I thought the scouts were excellent marchers. Great body control! They were easily top 12 in that regard.
  4. A strange guard design that didn't add much "pop" to the show
  5. A tough theme to pull off
  6. Music arrangements that were too segmented, too chopped

The top 3 indicate to me they can play and march, which means they have some excellent teachers. The bottom 3 tell me they need to find a better vehicle for show theme. Broadway musicals are long (2+ hours), and often arrangers will try to include too much material into a 12 minute show, hence each snippet becomes chopped and often meaningless. There simply wasn't enough build and development in their music book. It seemed too centered on trying to include as much material as possible.

They just need to make minor changes. Better show theme or concept. Lively music. Jazz, Spanish, Latin, Rock. There guard will do much better if they don't have to tell such a dark story on the field.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 4

The top 3 indicate to me they can play and march, which means they have some excellent teachers. The bottom 3 tell me they need to find a better vehicle for show theme. Broadway musicals are long (2+ hours), and often arrangers will try to include too much material into a 12 minute show, hence each snippet becomes chopped and often meaningless. There simply wasn't enough build and development in their music book. It seemed too centered on trying to include as much material as possible.

It's interesting that you say this because I didn't find the 99 version to be choppy at all, yet they played mostly the same rep this year.

Let's be honest. Scouts remade their 1999 show and it was no where as good as 1999 from a music/visual perspective. 1999 was not so long ago for people to remember. I have faith that the Scouts will be back.

They fell into the trap of Cadets 2009, they were too conscious of a re-do so avoided some of the stuff so it would be ‘different’. They really handicapped themselves with that approach

This thread needs a bit more strife to compete with some of the other corps thread