Madison Scouts 2017

Started arranging "An Ideal of Hope" the other day to see how it sounds for corps instruments - an opener with an empty field but for a soloist, with the rest of the corps entering in groups as the music builds.

Thing is, a corps has to trust the music to make the impact on its own, and not try to splice into pit ensemble moments, or extraneous runs to add difficulty. How many corps will trust the emotional import of music that isn't inherently complex?

That's a great question, especially this offseason.

Perhaps the best "trust the music" show we've seen in recent history was the Scouts' tribute to New York City. One of the longest spontaneous standing ovations I've ever seen. But that didn't sniff a medal...if that matters...which is the point, I guess.

Andy Ebert needs to go. I've always been so underwhelmed by his design. Everyone in the top 15 has better drill (imo) than the Scouts.

Skimming through and this caught my eye. A couple groups in the BOA circuit had him as a writer and have gone different directions. Seems to be a popular opinion that it is getting stale.

I went on both the official and unofficial today, as well as the alum page and nothing looked out of place.

Thanks. I should have checked some other Facebook pages, where I find the same thing happening, before inquiring here. Apparently it's some sort of scripting problem on my end.

Andy Ebert needs to go. I've always been so underwhelmed by his design. Everyone in the top 15 has better drill (imo) than the Scouts.

And gone he is. He has joined the Crossmen.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, and hopefully positive, announcement concerning visual staff. Looks like only a couple (one?) staff members are back from last year. Definitely going to be interesting to see how the BD look/feel merges with the traditional stylings of the Scouts.

http://www.madisonscoutslive.com/mainsite/2016/09/madison-scouts-welcome-jay-fuentes-visual-caption-head/

Edited by Rufus67

I think probably after this past season scouts are willing to try something in a different direction. Not to say they will or will not completely be unrecognized as compared to the past. I don't know, just speculating at this point. Whatever they do I am looking forward and excited about the change of direction.

• Like 1

The Madison Scouts have hired Mark Hunter and Sean Womack as Battery Caption Head and Front Ensemble Caption Head, respectively.

http://www.madisonscoutslive.com/mainsite/2016/09/mark-hunter-sean-womack-named-scouts-percussion-caption-heads/

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

The Madison Scouts have hired Mark Hunter and Sean Womack as Battery Caption Head and Front Ensemble Caption Head, respectively.

http://www.madisonscoutslive.com/mainsite/2016/09/mark-hunter-sean-womack-named-scouts-percussion-caption-heads/

Seems like some good solid hires for Madison. I'm glad they continue to mix it up with non-alumni. I've always felt during the Stewart era that

it was too inbred and they needed some fresh blood from outside the organization. And I'm psyched that Mark is from the Cavaliers...what a great

percussion tradition! Plus, he learned from two of the best - Kuhn and Campbell!

That's some awesome percussion influence. If he can bring even half of that experience to the Scouts, they'll have an amazing percussion section!