2017 PREDICTIONS!

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Doubt it.

The trend lines have been unmistakably there ( imo ) for a couple of years now, that the adult designed show designs are trending toward more build up points on the revised scoring sheets than the performer responsible side of the ledger. Thats why  Bluecoats won last season, despite some quite visible and audible performer" dirt " in the Finals performance.

I think you are right. I was listening to Marching Roundtable' interviews with the judges that took place in January, and I got the feeling bringing something new to the table was essential to score maximum points in the content subcaptions of the GE sheets. I suspect there is also significant bleed into the performace captions as well.

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think you are right. I was listening to Marching Roundtable' interviews with the judges that took place in January, and I got the feeling bringing something new to the table was essential to score maximum points in the content subcaptions of the GE sheets. I suspect there is also significant bleed into the performace captions as well.

Yes.. while I'll never be able to prove it, to illustrate the show design " bleeding into the performance captions " is probably taking place more than perhaps we might think, I would find it hard to believe that ( for just one example ) the Cadets percussion section would not have finished in the top 5 in percussion last summer, if their show design execution by the adults wasn't much better than what they put out on the field last summer.

Edited by BRASSO

34 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

After listening to what judges consider to give out a perfect score...the idea of putting down a number based upon that nights performance is NOT true...as I'll paraphrase it has to be better than ANYTHING they EVER saw...

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Effect will most always be dinged by sloppy execution.   "I see your intent but you're not fully realizing it".    Sometimes the performer and the design and the emotion of the moment carry the day (see Spartacus) but most often it does not.  

Bringing something new may be necessary (although that specific language is not on the DCI sheets,  it does appear in some other venues) but it's not sufficient.  Bring something new and perform the snot out of it is far more reliable path.  

IMO Bluecoats absolutely deserved the win last season.   Entertaining as hell.  But -- after the lights were switched off -- everyone watched the DVD.    If you think excellence needs to be "good enough" and that your "innovation" will always carry the day,  you're in for a rude awakening.  

You want proof?  Take a look at what that corps in Concord never fails to do.  Execute.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liahona said:

After listening to what judges consider to give out a perfect score...the idea of putting down a number based upon that nights performance is NOT true...as I'll paraphrase it has to be better than ANYTHING they EVER saw...

I don't think that was a paraphrase. I think that is a pretty direct quote which is an amazing statement in itself. It's another factor to be considered in numbers management, the meaning of a tenth and keeping the spreads right. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

In 2013, Carolina Crown won DCI, despite not finishing in the top 5 in the strictly performer  execution judged caption of Percussion. It would be almost inconceivable for most people to believe that Carolina Crown could have won in 2013 ( or any other year ) if they had finished out of the top 5 in any of the GE captions( not exclusively, but mostly show design oriented ) instead of non top 5 in a strictly performer execution caption such as Percussion or Brass.

SCV has medaled every year the last 4 seasons in Percussion, They won Percussion ( strictly performer oriented ) in DCI 2 of the last 3 years. When it comes to performance execution in Percussion, SCV is either the best in the BIz, or one of the best in the biz the last 4 years. As most here know, SCV has not medaled however in DCI in over a decade. If SCV had a show design that was top 3, its almost impossible to imagine that SCV would not have medaled by now, if things were reversed and SCV was winning GE, but not medaling in performer execution captions such as percussion or brass.  This is why, my guess, SCV went out and lured Michael Gaines back to designing shows for  DCI Corps and most especially for them now.

Edited by BRASSO

On 4/20/2017 at 4:46 PM, BRASSO said:

In 2013, Carolina Crown won DCI, despite not finishing in the top 5 in the strictly performer  execution judged caption of Percussion. It would be almost inconceivable for most people to believe that Carolina Crown could have won in 2013 ( or any other year ) if they had finished out of the top 5 in any of the GE captions( not exclusively, but mostly show design oriented ) instead of non top 5 in a strictly performer execution caption such as Percussion or Brass.

Percussion isn't strictly performer based, though.  In fact, none of the Music captions are.  Half the caption is Content, which isn't dependent on the performer.

In fact, literally every caption in DCI is set up that way.  Half a caption is for Content (some label it as Comp/Sustance and Rep, but it is functionally the same thing), the other half is for execution of that content (Achievement for Visual and Music, Performance for GE)

Edited by geluf

30 minutes ago, geluf said:

Percussion isn't strictly performer based, though.  In fact, none of the Music captions are.  Half the caption is Content, which isn't dependent on the performer.

In fact, literally every caption in DCI is set up that way.  Half a caption is for Content (some label it as Comp/Sustance and Rep, but it is functionally the same thing), the other half is for execution of that content (Achievement for Visual and Music, Performance for GE)

The " Percussion" caption however is far more of an execution caption( performer controlled ), than a " content" caption ( adult controlled as adults choose the drum charts ). However, if anyone wants to believe that even the" Percussion " judged caption is more content oriented, they would be compelled to convince themselves that the adult created show design ( and adult created content ) is more important in the scores than what the performer executes in the show. This tends to run counter intuitively to our natural inclinations ( mine too ), but one look at the newly revised judging sheets coupled with the on field RESULTS, tends to add convincing credence to this, imo. If we switched the entire marcher talent between ( for example ) the Cadets and the Bluecoats last season, its hard to think that the placements would have been roughly the same. The Bluecoats ( imo ) were a bit dirty in their Finals performance last season. Its even stored on the videos for such assessment , imo. But their stellar Bluecoats Show Design carried the day for them, imo

Edited by BRASSO

8 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

However, if anyone wants to believe that even the" Percussion " judged caption is more content oriented, they would be compelled to convince themselves that the adult created show design ( and adult created content ) is more important in the scores than what the performer executes in the show. 

My argument is not that the caption is "more content oriented", it is that the system is set up so that content and execution are a 50/50 split in every caption.

And assessing a video is well and good, but that allows for multiple viewings at varying angles.  On the day, a judge sees what they see in real-time and where they are looking at the time makes a difference.

Edited by geluf

23 minutes ago, geluf said:

My argument is not that the caption is "more content oriented", it is that the system is set up so that content and execution are a 50/50 split in every caption.

And assessing a video is well and good, but that allows for multiple viewings at varying angles.  On the day, a judge sees what they see in real-time and where they are looking at the time makes a difference.

The Bluecoats 2017 Show Design was essentially as stellar on video however, as it was live, imo. We can observe the holistic approach with the overall Show Design in both live and video versions. It is only the execution captions that are more technical, and minutia oriented and subject more to viewing angles of the judges. Even the Corps on the field are subjected to the arbitrariness of the execution oriented caption judges on the field, as lets face it, we oftentimes see the on field judges running for their lives, instead of evaluating the playing.. lol!. So even the execution caption judges " angles " on evaluating are compromised by the very show design itself, imo.

Edited by BRASSO