2017 PREDICTIONS!

1 hour ago, geluf said:

My argument is not that the caption is "more content oriented", it is that the system is set up so that content and execution are a 50/50 split in every caption.

And assessing a video is well and good, but that allows for multiple viewings at varying angles.  On the day, a judge sees what they see in real-time and where they are looking at the time makes a difference.

Exactly correct.

Design is meaningless without execution.  Despite all the whining about adult-designed programs (which AFAIK has always been the case) sloppy execution is perfectly capable of killing brilliant design.   What's grinding some gears here is that there's a certain tolerance level for execution that can be "overcome" by the confluence of design and performance.  

It's an interesting question (with no defined answer).  What's the minimum level of execution at which design becomes effective?  How much "error" is tolerable before it begins to affect the number you're about to write down?

Of course for some the answer is any error should impact design.  This is exactly what you had in the "tic" system (which simply shifted the semantics to "what is a tic").  And this tolerance (which has always existed and always been subjective) will vary from judge to judge, show to show,  and design to design.  You hope and pray that you get consistency. Of course that's the goal of the judges as well -- to agree on the values used to define a performance.  

Some moments only work when they're perfectly clean.  For other moments clean is so irrelevant (or impossible to define) that in practice they always work.  Most moments are somewhere in between those two extremes.

To say "it's all about design" is just plain ignorant.  Design is a precondition.  You must have design  to place a value on the execution.   But in the end performers must realize the design, bring it to life, and make it their own.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

I've decided to update my Top 12 for 2017

1. Blue Devils

2. SCV

3. Cavaliers

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Blue Knights

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Crossmen

9. Madison Scouts

10. Academy

11. Boston

12. Troopers

...who'll be the first to tell me I hate Boston for not putting them higher, or that how can Blue Stars be out on my list when they were 9th in 2016 (even if the poster of that remark refuses to realize that the Blue Stars have been up and down for several years, if you look at their scores), or that Madison won't jump that high, or that Bluecoats are automatically medal because they won last years, even though this is simply a prediction that really means nothing other than my time to write it.

Here goes...

12 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

1. Blue Devils

2. SCV

3. Cavaliers

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Blue Knights

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Crossmen

9. Madison Scouts

10. Academy

11. Boston

12. Troopers

...who'll be the first to tell me I hate Boston for not putting them higher, or that how can Blue Stars be out on my list when they were 9th in 2016 (even if the poster of that remark refuses to realize that the Blue Stars have been up and down for several years, if you look at their scores), or that Madison won't jump that high, or that Bluecoats are automatically medal because they won last years, even though this is simply a prediction that really means nothing other than my time to write it.

Here goes...

I am not going to argue with your predictions, heck I don't even go out on the limb to make them (other than each year predicting the Blue Devils to win). I will say the Blue Stars have been finalists 7 of the past 8 years, so hard to say they have been up and down. I do understand they are typically in the first quarter of the Saturday show, but they are there. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

1. Blue Devils

2. SCV

3. Cavaliers

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Blue Knights

7. Phantom Regiment

8. Crossmen

9. Madison Scouts

10. Academy

11. Boston

12. Troopers

Here goes...

um..boy i guess Crown has fallen on hard times!  

2 minutes ago, corpsband said:

um..boy i guess Crown has fallen on hard times!  

Maybe because Aungst left and the Battery will only dance.

I KID. I KID.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

I am not going to argue with your predictions, heck I don't even go out on the limb to make them (other than each year predicting the Blue Devils to win). I will say the Blue Stars have been finalists 7 of the past 8 years, so hard to say they have been up and down. I do understand they are typically in the first quarter of the Saturday show, but they are there. 

man 9-13 is going to be brutal.

there are points to be made for every one of those corps.