Caption Awards

Caption Awards  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer the caption awards are determined?

• By averaging the caption scores of each night of quarterfinals, semi finals, finals. This is what we currently have.
    • By using scores from Saturday night finals only ? whoever wins the caption on finals wins the caption award.

And what is CV?

CV = Curriculum Vitae: a brief account of a person's education, qualifications, and previous experience, typically sent with a job application.

I appreciate your post and thoughts, and maybe this is worthy of its own thread instead of derailing this one, but I do think that all judges, to eliminate any impression of favoritism, should be required to post their CV and whether they:

1 currently provide services, work, or products to any corps they are judging

2. have, in the past, provided services, work, or products to any corps they are judging, or

3. have any connection to any corps via staff, alum-status, students, etc.

The antiseptic of full disclosure is the only real way to rid the activity of the nepotism and favoritism that you say doesn't exist. (I want to believe you are correct, but I'm not convinced...yet... that there isn't a "club" a corps must join in order to get impartial panels.)

(Adjusts tin-foil hat.)

I'd wish our politicians would do something similar.

Averaging is the only option at this point. This is a silly poll.

How about a weighted average of the three nights? Saturday is the main event, so it should count for a bit more (in the captions awards) than prelims or semis.

I like this idea

• Like 2

I like this idea

1/6 * Quarters

1/3 * Semis

1/2 * Finals

Rewards each night more than the last.

• Like 1

Personally, I would like to see maybe 10% of the prelims score become part of the semi's score, and 25% of the semi's score used as part of the final score, somewhat like figure skating. That could make things interesting.

Edited: Did not know others made similar suggestions.

Edited by Tim K

Given that most of the awards are for single-judge captions, it makes sense that they are an average of the 3 nights. You should have to convince more than 1 judge to walk home with the Ott or the Zingali.

How about the preliminary and semis judges also judge on Saturday for the caption awards only. That way, there's three judges for caption awards, but they are all judging the same finals performance.

Given that most of the awards are for single-judge captions, it makes sense that they are an average of the 3 nights. You should have to convince more than 1 judge to walk home with the Ott or the Zingali.

I don't know that I think this is the right decision, and I know many former MM will disagree, but why not do the same for the total scores? Sort of like instant replay in athletics, everyone seemed to be against it until it directly and obviously overturned an incorrect call that benefitted their team.

• Like 1