Staff merri-go-round

it doesnt mean anyone who has alot of change falls into that same narrative

Its good to know however that securing a first rate, grade A staff could lead to possible oblivion in future years, with the Corps folding ( which is true as a potential result, of course). My guess however, the fact that this 76 year Drum Corps got by on years ( and didn't fold ) with essentially unpaid brass, percussion, guard instructors some years, gives me the confidence that Boston's adding this jawdropping list of talented staff teachers for 2017 won't lead to Boston's " same narrative " result of " folding " down the road. Quite the contrary. it positions the Boston Crusaders for potential spectacular results down the road, more likely than " folding ", as the result of the additions of this stellar staff to Boston. Crown did not " fold " when they put together an improved staff back in the early 2000's.. and if I recall, noone back then stated that Crown putting together an improved staff might be something they might not be able to afford, and they could " fold " as a result ( athough, of course it COULD have happened to Crown in succeeding years, I suppose, as that staff, as talented as they were at the time, were a bit untested at that time. )

Edited by BRASSO

Silly Man! The next purchase is a bus company, then DCI, THEN Zildjian!!

From pictures on Boston's FB this season, they were using the same type sleeper bus again. Don't know if it was leased or not. They were looking into getting some idea of the numbers on a larger capacity sleeper. If a corps could swing the costs on a few of these, the thinking is the costs for school housing would drop since a gym would not be needed and the mm might get more sleep on the overnight drives. Might take a special person to be a bus monitor during those trips to the next location.

Its good to know however that securing a first rate, grade A staff could lead to possible oblivion in future years, with the Corps folding ( which is true as a potential result, of course). My guess however, the fact that this 76 year Drum Corps got by on years ( and didn't fold ) with essentially unpaid brass, percussion, guard instructors some years, gives me the confidence that Boston's adding this jawdropping list of talented staff teachers for 2017 won't lead to Boston's " same narrative " result of " folding " down the road. Quite the contrary. it positions the Boston Crusaders for potential spectacular results down the road, more likely than " folding ", as the result the additions of this stellar staff.

I dont think anyone said BC would fall into this . Only time will tell that I dion't think the question was even about BAC or crown either. I think they said a Florida corps

Edited by GUARDLING

Sully brought in Craig Sellers who worked under Sully at Colts. He's very strong and will probably be a cleaning guy along with Marc and maybe some of the older vet techs. I think Tom Aungst's return is important in that he relates well with people so more vet staff may consider returning. Hoping Jeff comes back for drill. Still waiting on brass team announcement and a big name for design.

Craig also worked with Sully for years while at the Blue Knights.

Will Marc Sylvester return now to the Cadets ( Visuals) ? As long time Drum Corps followers here know, there is a lot of history between MS, and GH working together with the Cadets visuals in the past ( same as with Aungst with Cadets, Percussion ). Or has that shipped sailed now between MS and GH too ? What do DCP'er here think of that possibility of the return of MS to GH and Cadets ? Is Daryl Pemberton returning to the Cadets for 2017, do we know ?

Oh gosh. You're not very "dialed in" are you?

Craig also worked with Sully for years while at the Blue Knights.

Didn't know that but knew Sully's been mentoring him for years. The kids at Cadets said he was great just arrived too late to salvage the season after the whole viz team was sacked in mid July.
  • Like 1

From pictures on Boston's FB this season, they were using the same type sleeper bus again. Don't know if it was leased or not. They were looking into getting some idea of the numbers on a larger capacity sleeper. If a corps could swing the costs on a few of these, the thinking is the costs for school housing would drop since a gym would not be needed and the mm might get more sleep on the overnight drives. Might take a special person to be a bus monitor during those trips to the next location.

Craiga poster here has suggested Boston purchase 2 dozen RV's exactly like his model RV. But the Mayor & City Council of Quincy, Ma said they would have to study if they could all be parked for the DCI show in Quincy as they said they did not know what an RV is, and nobody they knew in their City had such a motorized contraption to tell them about these RV thingys anyway. But thats just a rumor, so take it for what its worth.

Edited by BRASSO

It was leased, w/driver, from the same company they used last year. A new bus would cost approx. $700,000 before fuel, ins. drivers, etc. Even if you rented, you would need at least 6 - if available (plus an entertainer coach = smaller sleeper). The cost for these, I believe, is shall we say, at least a few dollars more than what is paid out now. So at the present time, I don't believe it's financially possible.

Regarding not needing a gym........ A) no gym usually means no showers or not enough of them to handle 180 - 200 people. B) no gym means no place to rehearse in inclement weather. Boston, in fact suffered both of those problems in Indy. and finally C) The show sponsors pay for the vast majority of housing, on tour. The corps only pay on days there isn't a show (for example: the days around July 4th; or the 2nd day in Allentown) unless they make a deal with the sponsor or school to cover it. So not much savings would come from no gym.

Craiga poster here has suggested Boston purchase 2 dozen RV's exactly like his model RV. But the Mayor & City Council of Quincy, Ma said they would have to study if they could all be parked for the DCI show in Quincy as they said they did not know what an RV is, and nobody they knew in their City had such a motorized contraption to tell them about these RV thingys anyway. But thats just a rumor, so take it for what its worth.

Don't you mean an AHHHHH V? ;)

Edited by Barneveld
  • Like 2