2017 Boston Crusaders

Found the video. As I mentioned in other discussions, all anyone should care about at this point is whether a framework for a good show is apparent, and HOLY #### it's apparent with Boston. 

I'll get my one non-positive (though not negative!!) comment out of the way first: I don't believe the brass book has been written with nearly enough meat to sustain a season that ends with Boston in the top 6. Full disclosure, I have only heard Crown & snippets of BD, but based on the technical books of last year's top 6, there just isn't a difficulty comparison; it seems to me as if Boston is still playing a lower-half-of-finals brass book in terms of technical passages & lack of exposure. AND THAT'S JUST FINE!! Clearly, design & visual was tackled for this season, and they got it right. My initial impression is that it they are fielding a STRONG horn line who will probably outpace the book. In my opinion, there isn't enough substance there to musically hang with the big guys, who will have more difficult brass books that are just as clean. I'm TOTALLY buying the hype that this is a new BAC, just not the hype that they'll be a top 6 BAC (yet).

Ok. Visually, a monster. The groundwork is clearly being laid for the future. Please hang onto this staff, Boston!! I actually was actively fawning over the color pallatte that the uniforms & props created (on a low quality video, no less!). The browns, greys, & whites...it all looks so puritanical. The show setting is unquestionably early America during the Salem Witch Trials. I mean, job well done on this show design. Cohesive, clear, captivating, detailed...this is a home run of a show for them. Musically, Moonlight Sonata leading up to the first big Prokofiev hit is all just erie and terrific. And that Prokofiev hit <3 The Ginastera after the ballad is relentless, intense, and accurately wicked. Favorite musical moment: the thick, dissonant chord that the brass pushes into to end the ballad impact just when you think it's resolved and they've reached the end of the phrase. Dark and delicious and crunchy as hell.

My biggest takeaway from that video: obviously, all of the members are on board 100%, and that's the most important part. I don't mean fuzzy feelings most important part, I mean that Boston (during the middle of the season) and Madison (end of season) found out last year that it's nearly impossible to draw a passionate performance out of a show the performers feel tepid about. When the emotion is there (and holy hell is it there for this show), the keys are yours. This just feels like an entirely new corps, like new life has been breathed into the members in the form of out-of-the-gate ferocity and intensity. What a huge turn around. I look forward to seeing this show progress through the season!

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Regarding the "wicked" vibe, I wondered whether "wicked" is a bit of a play on words. Witches are accused of being wicked, but in the case of the Salem Witch Trials, what happened to them was wicked. Also, for those of us in the Boston area, wicked is an adjective mean really. Things in Boston are not really good, they're wicked good, or wicked exciting, or wicked cool. So I think wicked may refer to the theme but also anticipation of the season, hoping for wicked good scores or wicked high placements.

This actually reminds me of something I was thinking a couple of days ago.  Unlike some folks out there, I actually really like the vocalist quite a bit!  She does a great job and doesn't overenunciate like some singers have in the past.  Kudos to her.  What I do wonder about is what purpose some of the lyrics serve, mostly in the context of what you mentioned above.  What do the lyrics have to do with the show theme?  This is a love song we're talking about.  Does anybody know if there's going to be some sort of love story in the background, or is there an element that isn't obvious from the videos so far? If not, I'm having some trouble understanding the thought process other than having picked a cool song and wanting a vocalist.

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

You could be right, Jurassic Lancer. I know she marched Guardsmen in the mid 70's.. not sure what years though.

Well, since she marched in the 70's, she must have already gone to bed.

• Like 1

Massive improvement over last season across the board. I really don't care for the singer- balance issues all over the place (yes I know it's early season) and whilst the guard is much improved and will move up the rankings, they are definitely not going to be a top 3 guard probably more likely 6-7th which will still be a marked improvement for them 

6 hours ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

50 bucks says that guard girl will be being burned at the stake by seasons end.

Wouldn't be surprised if they have figured out a way to do this.  Too lazy to read up on what's allowed.  Helll, if powder is a no no, this might nt happen.  Maybe a hanging?

It will be interesting to watch the layering that'll take place throughout the season in this well thought out, well crafted show from Boston this summer.

They will be in Lawrence today (schedule FB).  Should be able to get a different prospective up high.

• Like 1