2017 Boston Crusaders

I hope some are not deflated by that news.

That will be a 15 yard penalty & a loss of down for Unsportsmanlike Conduct ( for talking smack here, xandandl )..... resume play... ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

Rumor has it Bill Belichick and a couple of his coaches will assist in who will be released and which new draft choices will stay.

Any chance we could " poach " BB to do the same thing with Farrell & the BoSox ?

Edited by BRASSO

It has me thinking that "no spot' is guaranteed...even for the returning vets this coming season...

I think in theory no spot is ever guaranteed in drum corps today, but word of some staff changes with names connected began circulating in Allentown, continued with a no way these folks would move to Boston Crusaders which may be where those who are claiming the throwing money at the staff rumors got their information. In Indy, changes at BAC and Madison were hot topics. After Academy's performance in semi's, the gentleman in front of me said that after BAC's performance, the kids who marched who marched with BAC and wanted to return next year were all but promised a spot and what a great year 2017 would be. Now this man did not leave his seat until intermission, and I have parts of his baseball hat in my photos to prove it, so I don't know where he got his information, perhaps a text message, but this would be in keeping with much of what was said throughout the season.

Personally, I hope this is the case. From a competitive standpoint, if a corps that had so many rookies who were reportedly young and inexperienced, could manage a 12th place finish, this is a group with potential. I also think that talent will follow these instructors, but not right away. Yes, we have historic examples of this happening, namely when so many in 27th went to Cadets in 1982 following Zingali and crew, but Cadets went from 10th in 80 to 7th in 81and everyone knew they were on the rise. However, I think those who might follow the talented staff may want a medal which probably won't happen just yet. They will need to see what is happening with BAC.

Public relations wise it could also hurt. Yes BAC has corporate donors and creative ways of making money, but more often than not in the non-profit world, you don't woo the big donors if you are not nurturing the smaller donors. I can say that those of us who donate by joining the Crusader club, give to fuel appeals, old school challenges, that DCI giving board where one corps competes against another for bragging rights, and other appeals are often given information about how great the kids are and it may not sit well if too many veterans are tossed (bad attitudes and laziness exempted), especially those of us who give donate not because of placement but because we love drum corps.

It has me thinking that "no spot' is guaranteed...even for the returning vets this coming season...

I agree. Marchers & staff are never guaranteed to stay put.. in ANY Corps, from year to year. Thats the culture of DCI for decades. Corps hopping. So when they are not guaranteed to stay put, there should never be a guarantee for a guaranteed spot in line either. ' Can't have it both ways. BD does not guarantee a marcher a spot in line the following season. They might get some small preferential treatment for securing that spot in line the following season ( understandable, as the Corps knows what the marcher is like, both on and off the field ), but they have to compete for it.. to earn it.. at camp competitions. BD is the gold standard in how it arranges its competition for spots in line too. So the notion that the Boston Crusaders should act in any way differently in how they make their selections for spots in line is not only counterproductive to being the best you can be as a Corps, its silly, as the top Corps in DCI that Boston will be competing with,... and chasing... do not operate in this fashion themselves.... and never have.

Edited by BRASSO

I think in theory no spot is ever guaranteed in drum corps today, but word of some staff changes with names connected began circulating in Allentown, continued with a no way these folks would move to Boston Crusaders which may be where those who are claiming the throwing money at the staff rumors got their information. In Indy, changes at BAC and Madison were hot topics. After Academy's performance in semi's, the gentleman in front of me said that after BAC's performance, the kids who marched who marched with BAC and wanted to return next year were all but promised a spot and what a great year 2017 would be. Now this man did not leave his seat until intermission, and I have parts of his baseball hat in my photos to prove it, so I don't know where he got his information, perhaps a text message, but this would be in keeping with much of what was said throughout the season.

Personally, I hope this is the case. From a competitive standpoint, if a corps that had so many rookies who were reportedly young and inexperienced, could manage a 12th place finish, this is a group with potential. I also think that talent will follow these instructors, but not right away. Yes, we have historic examples of this happening, namely when so many in 27th went to Cadets in 1982 following Zingali and crew, but Cadets went from 10th in 80 to 7th in 81and everyone knew they were on the rise. However, I think those who might follow the talented staff may want a medal which probably won't happen just yet. They will need to see what is happening with BAC.

Public relations wise it could also hurt. Yes BAC has corporate donors and creative ways of making money, but more often than not in the non-profit world, you don't woo the big donors if you are not nurturing the smaller donors. I can say that those of us who donate by joining the Crusader club, give to fuel appeals, old school challenges, that DCI giving board where one corps competes against another for bragging rights, and other appeals are often given information about how great the kids are and it may not sit well if too many veterans are tossed (bad attitudes and laziness exempted), especially those of us who give donate not because of placement but because we love drum corps.

With new staff...comes new demands...I think all is up for grabs and personally I don't have a problem with that...to be the best you need to recruit the best..it's speculation at best as to whether this will be an issue or not...who knows who's coming to Boston...I don't think it's our business to dictate how they should run things just because we donate $$$$....sounds like extortion....the good people from Boston need to back up just a little bit and let this run its course if we ever expect good things to happen IMO...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 2

Memories tend to be merged as the years go on. There were in fact two different migrations from Revere to Garfield, the first was when Zingali was let go by 27th mid-season. No kids followed until auditions in the Fall. The second and larger migration was when 27th actually folded, and they went with George Bonfiglio's blessing. I know because he collared me at a meeting, gave me strict orders that his kids better have a great experience, and (since Cadets at that time still had adults seated on each bus) insisted that his kids sit on my bus, which they did. They became as much Cadets as they were Lancers. George B's daughter, Denise, now of well earned DCI HoF also migrated to Garfield's CG staff. This all but parallelled when the DiCarlo and Bevilacqua kids migrated from Crusaders to Garfield. All of them great people with large hearts keeping friends in all 3 corps.

Edited by xandandl

L . B and T. I would hope things will go on the positive side of BAC.. Lets go proactive. For BAC it is headed to the positive.

L . B and T. I would hope things will go on the positive side of BAC.. Lets go proactive. For BAC it is headed to the positive.

You could have said B.L.T.

:augen51:

Edited by E3D

You could have said B.L.T.

:augen51:

What ever. I could comment further. again what ever.