Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I enjoy the Bernstein/ Zappa discussion. But I don't think Zappa is thought of as cool by this generation. That's just obscure old music from way back in the '70's. In that regard....pretty much like Bernstein!  And yeah, you can't pigeon hole musical tastes. For all we know more kids doing drum corps today would prefer Bernstein to Zappa. 

"Zappa not cool...".  I don't feel so good....:laughing:

3 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

The important thing is for Cadets to find their own niche in this modern era - if everyone went down the abstract route then it would be mighty boring.  I think the direction Cadets is headed is right for them - they just need to nail the design and get clean!  

My take currently is that they are spending so much time on the new ending that they are neglecting cleaning the rest of the show.  In parts (if you watch Orlando and then earlier shows) they seem to be getting dirtier rather than cleaner!  Thats why others are overtaking them.  Time to clean clean clean

You're exactly correct. When you're learning new stuff (that's yet to be put in the show), you're forgoing cleaning old stuff and are not getting the benefit of the changes hence you slide a bit. All temporary. They will soon start going set to set cleaning and should become more competitive in another week or two.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cadet93 said:

Sad they need to be "called" in.  The caption heads need to be with the corps most of the time for success.

I think most caption heads fly in and out. That's what techs are for. Can't image a 50 yo caption head touring 7 straight weeks with any corps honestly

14 minutes ago, Tobias said:

You're exactly correct. When you're learning new stuff (that's yet to be put in the show), you're forgoing cleaning old stuff and are not getting the benefit of the changes hence you slide a bit. All temporary. They will soon start going set to set cleaning and should become more competitive in another week or two.

As will every corps below, above, and around them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

As will every corps below, above, and around them.

Absolutely correct so I'm optimistic they have time to break it down set by set, refining drill, guard positioning and timing, ensemble balancing issues. I still have comfort the show is a strong one, Tom and Drew are tops in ensemble and the guard looked pretty impressive out of the gate for the first time in years so once they get back from learning new closer to cleaning, Cadets HAVE THE POTENTIAL to be looking and sounding very good. Where they fall amongst their peers, time will tell. A few brave judges will need to say hey I like what you're doing now and start assigning more competitive numbers.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I enjoy the Bernstein/ Zappa discussion. But I don't think Zappa is thought of as cool by this generation. That's just obscure old music from way back in the '70's. In that regard....pretty much like Bernstein!  And yeah, you can't pigeon hole musical tastes. For all we know more kids doing drum corps today would prefer Bernstein to Zappa. 

12 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

The two sides can thrive together, but to say Bluecoats isn't setting the standard for interesting music is dubious at best. 

Is it? The only real counterargument I've seen is that Bloo picks music we haven't heard on the drum corps field yet. That's not really what I mean by interesting, but even so, is Zappa really so far removed from your standard, exciting, brassy drum corps fare? Bloo innovates in plenty ways, but the music choices aren't really where that happens, for me.

Musicologically, it's not exactly a risk, is my real point. You hear they're doing Zappa, and you don't wonder "How are they going to do that in drum corps????", which is what i thought when I first heard Cadets were doing Mass this year, and why I think people are being silly by hating on the (rumored) Bernstein deal. I hear "Bernstein" and I get curious—it's a question mark, and Cadets wind up having to prove it can work. I hear "Zappa" and I already know it'll just be fun and appealing, because it's impossible not to be. The Cadets' challenge excites and intrigues me a lot more, even if, as I'm watching the shows, Bloo is clearly more "exciting." (For the record, I love both corps and both shows.)

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1