Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

Absolutely correct so I'm optimistic they have time to break it down set by set, refining drill, guard positioning and timing, ensemble balancing issues. I still have comfort the show is a strong one, Tom and Drew are tops in ensemble and the guard looked pretty impressive out of the gate for the first time in years so once they get back from learning new closer to cleaning, Cadets HAVE THE POTENTIAL to be looking and sounding very good. Where they fall amongst their peers, time will tell. A few brave judges will need to say hey I like what you're doing now and start assigning more competitive numbers.

You know, it's just best to not be optimistic. Just give up. 

• Like 6

I'm just waiting for the next person to say: 

"You know, I watched the over two hour original Mass written by Bernstein, and I don't think a 13 minute drum corps show really captures all the subtleties of the production."

Of course it doesn't! :4_joy: I don't remember anyone being this contextually critical of any of the Les Miz shows, and considering the medium and the tools in their toolbox, they're doing a dang good job. In fact, they literally created an entire voice never used before to this extent in order to be faithful to the work.

(Sidenote: this is the most hummable show of the year.)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I love the Bluecoats. But I find the idea of Bluecoats setting the standard for interesting (rather than just exciting) music choices pretty suspicious, honestly.

Personally my mouth is salivating at the idea of Cadets doing "On the Waterfront."

You mean like Bluecoats played in 2008?

I love the Bernstein and find him more entertaining that Zappa and listen to him at about 100 to 1 over Zappa but it’s a silly debate. So the third year of the Bernstein deal is 2019, an Anniversary year for Cadets. Do we get them solidifying their new identity with WWS? I hope so as 2009 didn’t give me what I wanted.

Anyway, not catching up, am I to understand Cadets have 4 minutes of new drill going in tonight?

That seems very ambitious

• Like 1

Just now, cowtown said:

I love the Bernstein and find him more entertaining that Zappa and listen to him at about 100 to 1 over Zappa but it’s a silly debate. So the third year of the Bernstein deal is 2019, an Anniversary year for Cadets. Do we get them solidifying their new identity with WWS? I hope so as 2009 didn’t give me what I wanted.

Anyway, not catching up, am I to understand Cadets have 4 minutes of new drill going in tonight?

It's a risk. They are changing the staging at the end of "Part 2"; the staging and movement to the musical bridge to the closer, and the closer drill including 1 additional minute of music. It builds and resolves longer now. But yes on July 14th it's a lot. Especialy with an admittedly young corps. Seems like they are just putting it all together for the first time today (they've had the drill and music taught since early last week). I guess tomorrow would be a long ensemble running large chunks to get the corps a little comfortable with all this

19959082_10155623085581349_6050434870911

6 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Yes and no.  They added a minute (always planned to do  that and adjusted the minute leading into it so it's not a tag ending but one that flows). It works better. It addresses the blunt ending they had and addresses the very long non drill period in Almighty Father where the corps was literally doing nothing while the girl was doing her confession. We all knew THAT was going to get nailed day one.

Edited by Tobias

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It's a risk. They are changing the staging at the end of "Part 2"; the staging and movement to the musical bridge to the closer, and the closer drill including 1 additional minute of music. It builds and resolves longer now. But yes on July 14th it's a lot. Especialy with an admittedly young corps. Seems like they are just putting it all together for the first time today (they've had the drill and music taught since early last week). I guess tomorrow would be a long ensemble running large chunks to get the corps a little comfortable with all this

19959082_10155623085581349_6050434870911

I still think they have time now to really go back and clean. Also avoid a mid season stalemate by portraying new material.

Edited by Tobias

excellant weather today in Indiana for practice sessions and for tomorrow at DeKalb, Illinois. Good stadium for tomorrow's show will give great sight lines for new drill assessment.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1