Cadets 2017

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Then what is the excuse for BD, Crown and Bluecoats last year? There doesn't seem to have been any negative effects of their "disengaging" from their donor base for 5/6th of 2016.

They put out a lot of other content that isn't show related.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wallace said:

Simply, their shows were better. Maintaining a shako of silence has no effect good or bad on placement.

AGAIN. I AM NOT STATING BEING SILENT AFFECTS PLACEMENT. Making the same point over and over doesn't change the fact that I didn't say that. That their shows were better has nothing to do with the fact that they were silent. You made the point that it wasn't good to keep fans in the dark for 85% of the year. That statement seemed to imply that it would be some kind of business problem by keeping their fans in the dark. Yet those corps did that and they were still successful over the summer in regards to finances. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

AGAIN. I AM NOT STATING BEING SILENT AFFECTS PLACEMENT. Making the same point over and over doesn't change the fact that I didn't say that. That their shows were better has nothing to do with the fact that they were silent. You made the point that it wasn't good to keep fans in the dark for 85% of the year. That statement seemed to imply that it would be some kind of business problem by keeping their fans in the dark. Yet those corps did that and they were still successful over the summer in regards to finances. 

you've actually appeared to connect the two things a few times in your posts so I'm glad to here you do not think that 

having a good show is what matters in the end, not keeping it top secret or leaking out bits or going full-bore on off season releases

I do agree it is "fun" to have it be a surprise and it probably gives folks (on here) less time to rip the show details apart

29 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Bottom line is that cops are dammed if they do dammed if they don't...lol

All one has to do is look back, whether it contributes to an outcome or not ( yes this could be debated ). The court of public opinion and arm chair judging' which there's always plenty of, even before  seeing anything, DOES form opinion and puts it all out there  to discuss. This alone has for corps put positive or NEGATIVE shadows upon them and often it sticks. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
spelling

If any posters would like to chime in on what negatives ( that outweigh the positives ) to fan engagement, fan growth, etc that playing non show music videos would be at the Corps camps, I'm sure other DCP posters would like to hear of what the downside would be.

' Not talking about showing the show music here for clarification. I'm talking about showing camp videos of such things as brass line chord progressions, Corps songs, encore songs, percussion practicing fundamentals, paradiddles, warm up exercises in brass, percussion and the like. Harmless stuff.  Guards perhaps tossing flags for 5 minutes, or doing non show related dance routines or what not. Corps can be creative, and it takes no time away from what they are already doing at these camps that is non show related, and yet protects their preciously held secrecy of the show/ music/ visuals, at the same time. I see no excuses... none whatsoever... in not providing fans much more camp videos that include the likes of harmless, non show oriented stuff, such as what I've just described as examples of what I believe could be easily taped and released to the fans at all of their camps. And heres the thing... some DCI Corps are already doing this ( but not enough of it, and not nearly enough Corps doing large time segments of such at all these winter camps. )

Edited by BRASSO

36 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

If any posters would like to chime in on what negatives ( that outweigh the positives ) to fan engagement, fan growth, etc that playing non show music videos would be at the Corps camps, I'm sure other DCP posters would like to hear of what the downside would be.

' Not talking about showing the show music here for clarification. I'm talking about showing camp videos of such things as brass line chord progressions, Corps songs, encore songs, percussion practicing fundamentals, paradiddles, warm up exercises in brass, percussion and the like. Harmless stuff.  Guards perhaps tossing flags for 5 minutes, or doing non show related dance routines or what not. Corps can be creative, and it takes no time away from what they are already doing at these camps that is non show related, and yet protects their preciously held secrecy of the show/ music/ visuals, at the same time. I see no excuses... none whatsoever... in not providing fans much more camp videos that include the likes of harmless, non show oriented stuff, such as what I've just described as examples of what I believe could be easily taped and released to the fans at all of their camps. And heres the thing... some DCI Corps are already doing this ( but not enough of it, and not nearly enough Corps doing large time segments of such at all these winter camps. )

I think cops corps could decide what would be a positive outcome or possible negative outcome . AS you pointed out it also would depend on what one is choosing to make public.

I would agree if they choose to put out things non show related and want to protect that info. during the winter I personally see nothing wrong with that type communication and engaging .If a corps chooses to also out it all out there, I see nothing wrong with that either, Their choice.

11 hours ago, George Dixon said:

you've actually appeared to connect the two things a few times in your posts so I'm glad to here you do not think that 

having a good show is what matters in the end, not keeping it top secret or leaking out bits or going full-bore on off season releases

I do agree it is "fun" to have it be a surprise and it probably gives folks (on here) less time to rip the show details apart

Except that I clearly stated each time that it wasn't my intention to connect the two.

45 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Except that I clearly stated each time that it wasn't my intention to connect the two.

well there ya go - when you state something that implies a connection multiple times we end up thinking you connected them

glad to hear you do not

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

well there ya go - when you state something that implies a connection multiple times we end up thinking you connected them

glad to hear you do not

What is this the twilight zone or something? I just said that I stated that there was no connection so there was nothing left to implication.

19 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

What is this the twilight zone or something? I just said that I stated that there was no connection so there was nothing left to implication.

Its called "doublethink".    Get used to it.

• Like 1