Cadets 2017

20 minutes ago, aLittleBird said:

-2000 "I'm not excited for my own drum corps and refuse to hear anything about how much anybody loves the Cadets or how excited they are for this show which already promises to be very unique from the one picture and one video that have been posted and will lash out at anybody who suggests the very notion" Cadet

Maybe a bit of an over-reaction to someone who simply says lets wait and see? 

If you had listened to George (and a few others) early last season,  Cadets were going to win the championship running away.   I don't blame Tekk for not buying into some of the pre-season hype this year.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Reference the last sentence of the below post: 

And I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade. I just refuse to be hyped up after 5 years of being excited only to be disappointed at the end of the season. Cadets have a lot of making-up to do (with me). 

(Not necessarily directed at you, Corpsband), just pointing out the last sentence which pretty much summarizes what I feel right now.)

No worries.  

I've been known to occasionally hype for Crown. What might not be obvious to many is  that most of the timeI'm laughing at that hype as I post it.  Because IT'S HYPE.  Not what I really expect or believe.  

Before my kid marched I rarely hyped any corps.  Thought it was pointless to "cheerlead" over drum corps.  When she started marching I felt a little obligated to "support the home team".  Turns out it's fun -- even it is a rather silly thing to do.  Silly things can be quite enjoyable.

Edited by corpsband

The problem with hype is that people have quickly turned it into fact and expectation, only to result in anger and disappointment as the season progressed. If we could keep hype hype, I would agree it's harmless. However that hasn't been the norm. 

Its perfectly natural to listen to a brass line and / or a percussion line in the offseason and believe that section is better... maybe even much better... than previous seasons. And then express that opinion here on DCP, or elsewhere. Its even quite possible that assessment proves in the end to be true. Its also true that despite the better brass line and / percussion line, that the Corps scores and placements could still drop that season. This is because without seeing the Visuals, Guard, and how the Corps marchers move in the drill, its really an unknowable in the off season as to how the Corps will fare, placement wise.  It was pretty clear listening to SCV percussion lines the last few seasons, that they were a monster... same as Cadets brass line of 2 years ago. The fact that this was true, but neither Corps would medal with such outstanding " Drums" and " Bugles " is quite illustrative that listening to sections play in the off season is fraught with the persistent unknowable of what it all will ultimately mean come that summer season.

For example, if anyone listened to the Cavaliers in the winter camps of 2011-2012, would have naturally assumed the Cavs would continue to medal in 2012, as they had in 2011. The brass line sounded good... the percussion line sounded good. There was good retention, no drop off in mm talent in that winter. But the warning signs were there for those paying attention, ie loss of a key show designer. Cavs, despite the solid brass and percussion lines fell 5 placement positions ( from 3rd to 8th ) and dropped 8 points in scoring. Yet, if one listened to the brass line and the percussion line alone in the winter, there was no indications from watching and listening to these sections that there would be significant placement slide coming in 2012 ( incidentally, kudos to Cavs for weathering this, and looking like they have rebounded quite nicely from this transition period and the loss of an icon visual show designer ).

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Its perfectly natural to listen to a brass line and / or a percussion line in the offseason .... this, and looking like they have rebounded quite nicely from this transition period and the loss of an icon visual show designer ).

Pretty interesting post considering you predicted the Cavaliers to finish 2nd despite losing Gaines in the off season.  As I recall you didn't think losing Gaines would matter much.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/148053-the-official-2012-prediction-thread/&do=findComment&comment=3137625

34 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Pretty interesting post considering you predicted the Cavaliers to finish 2nd despite losing Gaines in the off season.  As I recall you didn't think losing Gaines would matter much.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/148053-the-official-2012-prediction-thread/&do=findComment&comment=3137625

Exactly.  I  learned a valuable lesson with this from 6 years ago

Adult Show Designers are far more important on the current DCI score sheets than MM's in DCI now. The Cavs loss of Gaines could not be salvaged by any superior level of MM's talent in 2012.  This was a wake up call for me 6 years ago. I am not not a close minded individual. I am naturally curious by nature. I have been known to alter my previously held positions when new evidence presents itself that my previously held beliefs may no longer be timely and/ or accurate any longer. This was the case here, and the result got me to rethink my position on the overarching critical importance of adult Show Designers to Corps prospects. SINCE the '12 season, as you may be aware, I have posted a few times on here how critically important the Adult Show Designers are now to a Corps scores and placements. Prior to 2012, I was not so sure of this.  I am far more convinced now of this, however.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

Maybe a bit of an over-reaction to someone who simply says lets wait and see? 

If you had listened to George (and a few others) early last season,  Cadets were going to win the championship running away.   I don't blame Tekk for not buying into some of the pre-season hype this year.  

That is an outright lie. And no one is hyping them this year either. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The second sentence proves my point.

As for the first sentence...

You didn't make the statement directly (nor did I claim you did) but your hype in the early season Cadets thread  was enough to put medals into the eyes of even the most pessimistic Cadets fan.  Worse than that - you were around the corps a lot so it made it seem as if your hype was not hype at all.  

Sorry -- it's not a personal attack.  You just have a really bad case of maroon-colored glasses. 

36 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I agree. Corpsband likes to archive things about as much as he likes to overstate things, it appears. For example he'd be hard pressed to find any Cadets fan or Alum from last winter that posted that after watching the Cadets in the offseason, that ( his charge claim on Cadets fans ) " the Cadets will be running away with things" ( a convincing DCI Title win last summer ). He thus just made it up, it would appear. Its pure fiction. Now.. if her can archive a post from a Cadets fan that posted that "The Cadets will be running away with the DCI Title " last summer, we'll rethink our position that he's engaging in anything more than pure fiction on this charge claim of his.

Edited by BRASSO