Cadets 2017

Setting aside for the moment whether we like choirs or not in Drum Corps, the Cadets did apparently bring in some pretty good singers this offseason. I havn't heard any brass or drum clips from the Cadets this offseason(  sort of unusual for them in this respect ), but the video they put out from their choir practice last month did seem to show that they have recruited some talented young singers for their choir section this season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 9:12 PM, 2000Cadet said:

I call it being realistic. You would understand if you were in my position. I'll leave the hype machine to you. I'll choose to remain skeptical given the circumstances. So many of you called for an entire change in what they do. And ridiculous decisions led to ridiculous results. So forgive me if I don't share your excitement over a show that we know nothing about, a staff that hasn't proven themselves in the "battlefield" yet, and a corps that went from being a corps I worshiped to being a corps that causes me worry especially when other corps are doing things that drives crowds nuts; Cadets used to be that way. 

And yes, you ARE incredibly annoying. 

1. I'm not "hyping"

2. I didn't call for "entire change"

3. I am excited for a show I know a fair deal about - apparently you don't know anything about it - but some of us do

4. Yes - the staff needs to prove themselves

5. Cadets were pretty well received last year - not incredibly - but pretty well. I'm all for the baby-throwing moments of yesteryear!

6. I'm actually a great guy. Very popular & highly admired and extremely successful. And humble.

• Like 1

Newsday is now reporting the passing of John Wevers, retired band director at Copiague H.S. which has been a USBands participant along with several other circuits.

Not only literally building the marching band program from scratch, he led many bandsters to DCI awareness and membership in Cadets, Surf, Crown, and several other units. His community and band included many recent Polish, Latino, and Italian immigrants in a town where Marconi did his radio beginnings. Copiague and Lindenhurst several decades back had no less than five drum corps some whom competed.  http://www.newsday.com/long-island/obituaries/john-wevers-ex-copiague-marching-band-director-dead-at-65-1.13129585  

Edited by xandandl

34 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

1. I'm not "hyping"

3. I am excited for a show I know a fair deal about - apparently you don't know anything about it - but some of us do

5. Cadets were pretty well received last year - not incredibly - but pretty well. I'm all for the baby-throwing moments of yesteryear!

6. I'm actually a great guy. Very popular & highly admired and extremely successful. And humble.

Thanks for the pointless itemized list. I don't want to know much about the show (mind you, I have been calling for them to shut up until June if you remember). In reference to number 6, Congrats to you. But your success and popularity mean absolutely nothing to me. I don't know anything about you outside this forum other than how much you annoy me.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

1. I'm not "hyping"

Yes, the few who I know on the inside say the show is special and will be very well received. Funny the kids still know very little in fact because of lack of vids (until all rights secured), aren't sure what they sound which is interesting. (We all know being in the arc with Percussion banging around you is not quite the way to get a sense of the ensemble). Said brass line is filled up sans a tuba or two and talent is typical of a Cadets line. ( of course we'll see what new staff is capable of). Getting a little excited.. 

Edited by Tobias

Many shows this year will be special and well received. I'm with Tekk, let's take it easy for a little while longer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Thanks for the pointless itemized list. I don't want to know much about the show (mind you, I have been calling for them to shut up until June if you remember). In reference to number 6, Congrats to you. But your success and popularity mean absolutely nothing to me. I don't know anything about you outside this forum other than how much you annoy me.

-2000 "I'm not excited for my own drum corps and refuse to hear anything about how much anybody loves the Cadets or how excited they are for this show which already promises to be very unique from the one picture and one video that have been posted and will lash out at anybody who suggests the very notion" Cadet

24 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Many shows this year will be special and well received. I'm with Tekk, let's take it easy for a little while longer

In fact "special and well received" are pretty standard hype vocabulary.

Nothing at all wrong with hyping.  Just be prepared to accept that it's hype.  

21 minutes ago, aLittleBird said:

-2000 "I'm not excited for my own drum corps and refuse to hear anything about how much anybody loves the Cadets or how excited they are for this show which already promises to be very unique from the one picture and one video that have been posted and will lash out at anybody who suggests the very notion" Cadet

Reference the last sentence of the below post: 

4 minutes ago, corpsband said:

In fact "special and well received" are pretty standard hype vocabulary.

Nothing at all wrong with hyping.  Just be prepared to accept that it's hype.  

And I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade. I just refuse to be hyped up after 5 years of being excited only to be disappointed at the end of the season. Cadets have a lot of making-up to do (with me). 

(Not necessarily directed at you, Corpsband), just pointing out the last sentence which pretty much summarizes what I feel right now.)

Edited by 2000Cadet