Cadets 2017

6 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

It's REALLY hard for me to not think of this part as rationalizing... 

Well Cadets came in 6th last year so when discussing them and the company they associate with, it is a very fair speculation. Overall something is brewing in Cadetland and Tommee confirms George Dixon's assessment that their is substance here that will take all season to max. A good think IMO.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Well Cadets came in 6th last year so when discussing them and the company they associate with, it is a very fair speculation. Overall something is brewing in Cadetland and Tommee confirms George Dixon's assessment that their is substance here that will take all season to max. A good think IMO.

Oh this is without a doubt the most excited I've been for a Cadets show since 2011, and I'm really confident in what they'll put out. But, "it's not like the last hornlines, but I like it" is just hard to stomach.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, brassdude6171 said:

Oh this is without a doubt the most excited I've been for a Cadets show since 2011, and I'm really confident in what they'll put out. But, "it's not like the last hornlines, but I like it" is just hard to stomach.

Cadets sound has been consistent for decades? A new arranger and staff will be a different animal. Not bad just different. 

6 hours ago, Tobias said:

Cadets sound has been consistent for decades? A new arranger and staff will be a different animal. Not bad just different. 

Yes, Bocook wasn't Prime, nor was Don Hill a Michael Klesch. Perhaps a new era with Drew.

double post

Edited by jwillis35

9 hours ago, Tommeee said:

I am home from Johnstown now.  Been mulling over this show for the past couple hours, and here are some of my impressions of the limited stuff they did tonight:

1. Drill is better than last year.  There are multiple sets that are memorable in this show.

2. Percussion is outstanding.  Both battery and pit are just great.  Very musical, but also very aggressive.  And there is a pretty large chunk (Simple Song) when the battery doesn't play at all.  But their features are going to be favorites.

3. Speaking of Simple Song, it's really nice.  Very reminiscent of 1983, without being a rehash.  

4. After all the talk about the choir (which hasn't arrived yet), there are parts of this show that are actually SCREAMING for that choir to be present.  It's almost like something is missing.  I think the choir will help.  

5. I like the possibilities that the skirts make possible (in whatever form they take with the actual costume).  The way the fabric flows when moving will be cool to see.  The whole idea is better than I originally envisioned.

6. Some cool colorguard work when they are amongst the church pews.  And I like the way the pews are staged on the field.

7. Sully seems to be pretty heavily involved at this point.  But I can't even begin to understand the things that go through his head.  :)

8. Did I mention that the percussion is AWESOME?

9. The arrangement of Agnes Dei is very different from what they have used in the past.  MUCH more aggressive.  

10. Lots of electronic sound effects.  They actually fit with this music, in my opinion.

11. When the corps played ALL music in their arc at the end, I could actually understand the flow of the show, even without visuals.  It seems to work.  I love the fact that one piece of music is being used, but it still allows a bunch of musical styles to be explored.  The jazzy section is great.  It's been a while since Cadets have had this much variety in one show.

12. This show is going to be BIG.  And it's going to take every single day of this season for it to meet its potential.  It's going to be really fun to watch it progress!  I really enjoy it already!

The most negative thing of the evening for me was the lack of a souvenir trailer.  There were TONS of people there tonight, and it was an incredibly mind-boggling missed opportunity for them to not do any fund-raising.  I heard multiple people mention the fact that there were no t-shirts to purchase.  

Thanks for this great review, Tommeee. It's nice to hear a little about this show.  I haven't seen or heard anything from the corps yet, but I am beginning to get the impression that The Cadets 2017 may have a big-boy production.  Hope they can fine-tune, tweak, and fully realize this great work by Bernstein.  I am also glad to hear percussion and brass sound strong.  I am glad the brass is going back to using Euphs and perhaps working toward a darker, rounder sound.  At least early on. I'm sure they will let them open things up as the season progresses, but I always preferred the sound of the Cadets from the 80s and 90s.  

As for the t-shirt issue, I'm just guessing, but it could be that the University has a licensing agreement that does not permit other organizations to sell merchandise on their campus without first getting permission and perhaps paying a royalty. Of course, my other guess is that Cadets are still working on t-shirt designs for tour.

2 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Thanks for this great review, Tommeee. It's nice to hear a little about this show.  I haven't seen or heard anything from the corps yet, but I am beginning to get the impression that The Cadets 2017 may have a big-boy production.  Hope they can fine-tune, tweak, and fully realize this great work by Bernstein.  I am also glad to hear percussion and brass sound strong.  I am glad the brass is going back to using Euphs and perhaps working toward a darker, rounder sound.  At least early on. I'm sure they will let them open things up as the season progresses, but I always preferred the sound of the Cadets from the 80s and 90s.  

As for the t-shirt issue, I'm just guessing, but it could be that the University has a licensing agreement that does not permit other organizations to sell merchandise on their campus without first getting permission and perhaps paying a royalty. Of course, my other guess is that Cadets are still working on t-shirt designs for tour.

Actually, performance was not on UPJ property but across the street at Richland H.S. However, your point may still stand

I always found the Gino/Bocook lines a bit top heavy, a difficulty particularly on humid nights. But Gino himself was a trumpeter and Bocook gradually began to add more middle voicings and low brass features. The uniqueness and success of the concert French horn feature from 2015 showed great possibility of what other approaches might be for Cadets. Perhaps the trombone feature will have the same success and will be different from how they were used last year in Pines. My old ears are beginning to like low tones better and I am ready to explore new aural sensations.

9 hours ago, Tommeee said:

I am home from Johnstown now.  Been mulling over this show for the past couple hours, and here are some of my impressions of the limited stuff they did tonight:

1. Drill is better than last year.  There are multiple sets that are memorable in this show.

2. Percussion is outstanding.  Both battery and pit are just great.  Very musical, but also very aggressive.  And there is a pretty large chunk (Simple Song) when the battery doesn't play at all.  But their features are going to be favorites.

3. Speaking of Simple Song, it's really nice.  Very reminiscent of 1983, without being a rehash.  

4. After all the talk about the choir (which hasn't arrived yet), there are parts of this show that are actually SCREAMING for that choir to be present.  It's almost like something is missing.  I think the choir will help.  

5. I like the possibilities that the skirts make possible (in whatever form they take with the actual costume).  The way the fabric flows when moving will be cool to see.  The whole idea is better than I originally envisioned.

6. Some cool colorguard work when they are amongst the church pews.  And I like the way the pews are staged on the field.

7. Sully seems to be pretty heavily involved at this point.  But I can't even begin to understand the things that go through his head.  :)

8. Did I mention that the percussion is AWESOME?

9. The arrangement of Agnes Dei is very different from what they have used in the past.  MUCH more aggressive.  

10. Lots of electronic sound effects.  They actually fit with this music, in my opinion.

11. When the corps played ALL music in their arc at the end, I could actually understand the flow of the show, even without visuals.  It seems to work.  I love the fact that one piece of music is being used, but it still allows a bunch of musical styles to be explored.  The jazzy section is great.  It's been a while since Cadets have had this much variety in one show.

12. This show is going to be BIG.  And it's going to take every single day of this season for it to meet its potential.  It's going to be really fun to watch it progress!  I really enjoy it already!

The most negative thing of the evening for me was the lack of a souvenir trailer.  There were TONS of people there tonight, and it was an incredibly mind-boggling missed opportunity for them to not do any fund-raising.  I heard multiple people mention the fact that there were no t-shirts to purchase.  

Nice to read that Cadets have messaged their approach to programming a show. Thanks for taking the time to write a nice review.

Doesn't seem like the brass played allot during the performance. So beside some drumming thingies and a few memorable drill movements, no mention of any WOW moments in visual/GE/guard which is three major areas needed to win Championships in this era. 

15 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Nice to read that Cadets have messaged their approach to programming a show. Thanks for taking the time to write a nice review.

Doesn't seem like the brass played allot during the performance. So beside some drumming thingies and a few memorable drill movements, no mention of any WOW moments in visual/GE/guard which is three major areas needed to win Championships in this era. 

• cf. comment #6 above
  • Richland H.S. field is a rather low rise set of bleachers not a college stadium or Texas/Indiana football mega-temple . Only on roof of press box can one truly read the field and visual show..
  • corps only marched some of first act and played in an arc the remainder of the show.
  • I am guessing not all props were yet entered into show and field. Re-verify with those few DCP persons actually present.
Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1