Cadets 2017

Mr. Hopkins on Facebook today summed up:  

17 pages of changes they have in mind (many of them little that things they've been accruing but haven't gotten to), including among other things:  adjusting voice-overs (not sure if he is referring to the Celebrant or some of the synth patched voices in the background); adjusting sound levels; shortening the Nicene Creed; removing one of the "Let us Pray"s; modifying the company front to include some dissolving crosses [note:  aren't there already enough crosses?]; something at the end of Chaos [note:unfortunately, to my eyes, the original drill has the spinning condensing circle resolve too quickly - it really needed to end at the striking of the vibes chord climax and THEN the circle could expand back outward, mirroring the expanding sound waves of the chord); something to Almighty Father; something to the brass when on the pews.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, xandandl said:

So who is the celebrant?  It seems this soloist is the only one with the "Roman Collar" look.

DFDP8spXcAAYQsA.jpg:large
"

That's my man David...his brother Antonio is also marching trumpet!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Eleran said:

17 pages of changes they have in mind (many of them little that things they've been accruing but haven't gotten to), including among other things:  adjusting voice-overs (not sure if he is referring to the Celebrant or some of the synth patched voices in the background); adjusting sound levels; shortening the Nicene Creed; removing one of the "Let us Pray"s; modifying the company front to include some dissolving crosses [note:  aren't there already enough crosses?]; something at the end of Chaos [note:unfortunately, to my eyes, the original drill has the spinning condensing circle resolve too quickly - it really needed to end at the striking of the vibes chord climax and THEN the circle could expand back outward, mirroring the expanding sound waves of the chord); something to Almighty Father; something to the brass when on the pews.

Edited by Trumpet2

2 hours ago, fsthnds said:

After what I saw, they should be thanking the good lord they broke 80 last night!

I thought they had a rough run - but it was in the 82-84 range performance wise

It was 97 out all day and several corps showed fatigue last night

I wish you would be a bit more constructive in your comments. I realize you like BD and Boston but all the corps are comprised of young adults working hard PAYING and trying to entertain us. So probably as the "Grown ups" in the equation we can be a little objective and constructive in our comments.

Just a thought

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

sounds like some good changes... I'm just glad they seem to be maxing out their show

right now Cadets/Boston have been scoring very close and both corps are within striking distance of Cavaliers - and a couple corps (Regiment/BK) are within striking distance of Boston/Cadets with room to grow. It's important all 5 corps continue to make small changes and rehearse effectively so they can feel good about their season 

they are working on voice over / electronics support and have the sound engineering guys in to make some changes (Hopkins mentioned after hearing some of the other corps last night it is apparent)

end of chaos revision, almighty father, as you mentioned adding dissolving crosses into the company front

sounds like they are taking out some of the direct references to religion, jesus, etc... so taking some of the "preaching" out and less identification to a specific religions. Taking out one of the "let us pray" 

the corps will work a shorter day with some breaks and redoing the schedules around SAT so the corps is less tired and impacted by the heat

I'm honestly impressed by the work ethic and the "get it done" mentality. 

Edited by George Dixon

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I thought they had a rough run - but it was in the 82-84 range performance wise

It was 97 out all day and several corps showed fatigue last night

I wish you would be a bit more constructive in your comments. I realize you like BD and Boston but all the corps are comprised of young adults working hard PAYING and trying to entertain us. So probably as the "Grown ups" in the equation we can be a little objective and constructive in our comments.

Just a thought

Amen to that!  I read that there are something like a million kids doing marching music in the United States (not to mention the ones who come from abroad as well).  The finalists every year, nine of whom do not medal, represent the top fraction of 1% of these performers in terms of skill, grace and dedication.  All this banter is in good fun, but don't lose sight of what is important.

• Like 1