Cadets 2017

7 hours ago, NakedEye said:

I couldn't disagree more about the robes. The first section of the show is the best thing they have done in years. The robes may be dinging the visual execution scores a bit, but they help create a tremendous atmosphere that is very intriguing. They may keep them on too long, but the larger issue is that the next costume change is completely fudged. The robes come off in drips and drabs, with the percussion first and then some of the horns, and it is all rather diluted and messy. Impact is being lost because of this. The surprise factor goes out the window.

If they restaged it to have more of a mass change, it might better grab the audience and provide a more precise marker that the second section of the show takes a different turn.

Agreed. It's a huge WOW effect missed. If they have the TBone players/tubas de-robe before they jump up on pews while the stage right brass emerge from behind props, it's more of a pop. Looking for minimal "rewrites of drill". Young corps, need to really spend rest of season cleaning. 

7 hours ago, NakedEye said:

I couldn't disagree more about the robes. The first section of the show is the best thing they have done in years. The robes may be dinging the visual execution scores a bit, but they help create a tremendous atmosphere that is very intriguing. They may keep them on too long, but the larger issue is that the next costume change is completely fudged. The robes come off in drips and drabs, with the percussion first and then some of the horns, and it is all rather diluted and messy. Impact is being lost because of this. The surprise factor goes out the window.

If they restaged it to have more of a mass change, it might better grab the audience and provide a more precise marker that the second section of the show takes a different turn.

While I agree with everything you're saying, I'm guessing "surprise" isn't what they are going for.

I saw skirts strewn about on the pews. And then the jackets on the tarp - that was the lamest prop of the season. Gotta get that fixed. So many of the top corps pay attention to detail, and I feel like this show lacks that. And Cadets often lack that attention to detail (e.g., evolving storyline in 2016, moving around obelisks in 2013).

I was really hoping to like this show a lot more in person, but I'm unmoved (or frankly have a little worse feeling about it). 

Edited by kdaddy

I kinda liked the jackets coming off and laying on the cross tarp. It fits the theme of the show really well. It introduces the forgiven section and symbolizes the "sins" of the fallen being placed on the cross. Now the whole corps is forgiven and is in white. IDK...maybe I'm reading too much into it. I also really liked the stained glass/cross reveal. That was a pretty cool moment live.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Corpfan said:

I kinda liked the jackets coming off and laying on the cross tarp. It fits the theme of the show really well. It introduces the forgiven section and symbolizes the "sins" of the fallen being placed on the cross. Now the whole corps is forgiven and is in white. IDK...maybe I'm reading too much into it. I also really liked the stained glass/cross reveal. That was a pretty cool moment live.

Agree. When a corps scores well, everything is looked at as art. When a corps isn't scoring as well, we "see" many faults. It's art/design. Cadets need to CLEAN at this point. They basically tied Cavies in effect. Time to get caption scores up. The clock is ticking. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

While I agree with everything you're saying, I'm guessing "surprise" isn't what they are going for.

I saw skirts strewn about on the pews. And then the jackets on the tarp - that was the lamest prop of the season. Gotta get that fixed. So many of the top corps pay attention to detail, and I feel like this show lacks that. And Cadets often lack that attention to detail (e.g., evolving storyline in 2016, moving around obelisks in 2013).

I was really hoping to like this show a lot more in person, but I'm unmoved (or frankly have a little worse feeling about it). 

IDK. I see messy props with every group. Because Cadets aren't scoring 85, we start picking at logistics. I think they need to agree their design changes are in and just clean as much as possible. Their captions (guard, percussion and especially brass) are low. Clean to max those and probably get a GE boost too. 

• Like 2

Four corps saw their scores drop last night, and there seemed to be major sound issues all around.  Sometimes it's just a tough night, and Cadets got the worst of it.  Whether you like the robes or not, I think they feel a lot more comfortable in 72 degrees of Lucas Oil Stadium than 100 degrees in Broken Arrow, OK.  It looked to me like they started out on adrenaline and just wilted as they went (same thing with Crown).

On the good side, sometimes we forget part of the picture.  I happened to be watching the show on a big screen webcast with a bunch of people who had never even heard of Drum Corps before last night.  They were amazed at the athleticism and musical skill Vanguard and Blue Coats, but the Cadets was a show that was nothing they had ever expected could be done with marching music.  They obviously didn't understand the score differentiation, the issues with company front not being straight, or the variety of hiccups in the drill, etc., but the general effect really blew them away.  So whatever else may be true, this show is giving people a different appreciation for what they imagined this art form to be.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I think we are all saying/seeming similar things

Some good - some bad - in this year's Cadets program

The changes are in. Most good. Some cheese can be removed (narration, tarp) but the real issue is performance levels. They need to work the Brass on quality control, clean the marching, clean the percussion, clean the guard. CLEAN, REFINE, CLARIFY. DO NOT ADD. The show is good but performance levels were probably lowest of the night. 

16 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Go Cadets - An 83.75 or above is a good score tonight. Hoping for an 84-85

After what I saw, they should be thanking the good lord they broke 80 last night!

A few thoughts from last night. I hope the Cadets, and their young brass players especially, can get sufficient rest and recovery time going into the big shows to come because it really seemed like they were running out of gas at the end of the show....reminding me of C2 brass when they are straining to push through to the end. Additionally, I am trying to get to a place where I feel that this specific source material ideally translates to the DCI idiom. I am hopeful that my view changes because it is obvious that the kids are giving it their all....ymmv.