Cadets 2017

7 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I still think the show is "this much" away from being awesome

Agreed.  It's about smoothing out the rough edges in design and upping the performance levels.  The opening minutes are so close to clicking, imo.  The robes, choir, and narration need to stay.  All three are setting the all-important mood.  

Simple Song is a brilliant piece of music that works when it's kept simple... my preference is for them to get rid of any pauses in this number, and just let it FLOW ("Let us Pray!" jk).  I understand that the designers originally wanted the arrangements to be different enough from '83 & '90, and maybe include a clever twist.  Unnecessary.  Not many people are as familiar with those years as die-hard fans.  Simple Song is a beautiful moment in the show, to the eyes and ears, and they need to linger on it while not corrupting the build and flow of it.  

Agnus Dei is a rousing moment that is benefiting from the recent changes to make the push more like '90.  I'd prefer the brass' entrance to be smoother.  It's currently sounding harsh immediately after the choir.  

The chorale (when they're dumping their jackets) is a missed opportunity for a great moment.  In the original work, which is primarily vocal, the choir ends one phrase at almost a whisper, then re-enters on the next phrase at about a double-forte.  It's an attention-grabber for an otherwise quiet song.  If they can include the brass more in this underappreciated piece, and work those dynamic features, this will be another high moment in the show and will contribute to the variety of effects.  

The drill move where they're snaking through the pews is another high moment.  

The uniform changes are a necessary part of this show.  The way it's done needs to get better.  While they don't want to remove garments as theatrically as a pole dancer would, they also don't want to look like they're just peeling things off in a locker room.  There's a balance and a way to make these costume changes noticeable and effective (think '86 SCV and the pant changes) in a way that is uniquely relevant to this show.  In summary, the transitions from the different moments need to be smoothed and balanced and they need to maximize the great moments while coming up with a couple more.   

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Agreed.  It's about smoothing out the rough edges in design and upping the performance levels.  The opening minutes are so close to clicking, imo.  The robes, choir, and narration need to stay.  All three are setting the all-important mood.  

Simple Song is a brilliant piece of music that works when it's kept simple... my preference is for them to get rid of any pauses in this number, and just let it FLOW ("Let us Pray!" jk).  I understand that the designers originally wanted the arrangements to be different enough from '83 & '90, and maybe include a clever twist.  Unnecessary.  Not many people are as familiar with those years as die-hard fans.  Simple Song is a beautiful moment in the show, to the eyes and ears, and they need to linger on it while not corrupting the build and flow of it.  

Agnus Dei is a rousing moment that is benefiting from the recent changes to make the push more like '90.  I'd prefer the brass' entrance to be smoother.  It's currently sounding harsh immediately after the choir.  

The chorale (when they're dumping their jackets) is a missed opportunity for a great moment.  In the original work, which is primarily vocal, the choir ends one phrase at almost a whisper, then re-enters on the next phrase at about a double-forte.  It's an attention-grabber for an otherwise quiet song.  If they can include the brass more in this underappreciated piece, and work those dynamic features, this will be another high moment in the show and will contribute to the variety of effects.  

The drill move where they're snaking through the pews is another high moment.  

The uniform changes are a necessary part of this show.  The way it's done needs to get better.  While they don't want to remove garments as theatrically as a pole dancer would, they also don't want to look like they're just peeling things off in a locker room.  There's a balance and a way to make these costume changes noticeable and effective (think '86 SCV and the pant changes) in a way that is uniquely relevant to this show.  In summary, the transitions from the different moments need to be smoothed and balanced and they need to maximize the great moments while coming up with a couple more.   

Fantastic analysis

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I fear they are going to crank up the amps and hammer the theme and play a million rimshots and cymbal crashes to bludgeon the audience into an emotional response, like they did in 2014. Came across as super Fascist

Yeah, I hope they are not heading that direction. Clean the darn show and take stuff out. He did say they were taking out some statements and the new company front idea may have legs. Maybe? So I'm glad some things are being taken out of the show.  They have to stop worrying about the color, the GE, and props, the fabrics, etc. Most of that will add nothing and provide no improvement in scores. It's just clutter. Clean, baby, clean. Show the world that The Cadets can clean their brass, percussion, guard, and feet once again. 

Look at Crown. Their show is far from perfect. Many would agree that there are issues with the back 1/3 of their show.  But boy did they perform last night. I realize they may not win the title due to some GE issues, but the effect most fans got last night was "That's the best corps."  I realize their guard is less experienced and there are other issues, but they left me with the feeling that they are the best corps -- even if the show design ultimately knocks them into 4th come Finals. What a performance!  It would not hurt Cadets to learn to clean again. They have failed to really clean in years. What the kids do on the field still matters more than props, fabric, and gimmicks. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

They have to stop worrying about the color, the GE, and props, the fabrics, etc. Most of that will add nothing and provide no improvement in scores. It's just clutter. Clean, baby, clean. Show the world that The Cadets can clean their brass, percussion, guard, and feet once again. 

But boy did they perform last night. I realize they may not win the title due to some GE issues, but the effect most fans got last night was "That's the best corps."  I realize their guard is less experienced and there are other issues, but they left me with the feeling that they are the best corps -- even if the show design ultimately knocks them into 4th come Finals. What a performance!  It would not hurt Cadets to learn to clean again. They have failed to really clean in years. What the kids do on the field still matters more than props, fabric, and gimmicks. 

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT CADETS USED TO BE. 

This was the Cadets I fell for and wanted to be apart of. I'm a competitive person and love winning (who doesn't?), but at the end of the day, Cadets shows in the past were about wowing the crowd with the capabilities of THE KIDS WHO MARCH AND PLAY instead of all the pointless props (although some of those props were ok i guess, ala 1995/1996).

I want THAT Cadets again. Stop relying on the literal and be more subtle with the idea. Let the audience be wowed again. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Daave said:

A huge Shroud of Turin.... with bling?

Nothing says grace and forgiveness like a big bedazzled crucifix!

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

It would not hurt Cadets to learn to clean again. They have failed to really clean in years. What the kids do on the field still matters more than props, fabric, and gimmicks. 

I think it's because their old vis caption head, and the best alums who have become visual instructors (esp from the last decade), are working for the Bluecoats. 

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I think it's because their old vis caption head, and the best alums who have become visual instructors (esp from the last decade), are working for the Bluecoats. 

Well, and we are glad to have them here in Canton! :) Love me some Bloo too.  Bloo themselves is another corps that needs to do some serious cleaning now, but I know they will get that done and may still challenge for a world championship.  I'm just hoping GH pushes the staff to clean, clean, clean. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tobias said:

MAYBE I AM JUST A HOMER BUT I still think the show is "this much" away from being awesome and still think the opportunity exists for them to make the correct small adjustments.... cut some narration here, take out a crooked company front there, clean clean clean and maybe stay over a hot Boston and pop Cavies. Until it's over, I'll keep pushing for my team. 

I agree! 

• Like 1