SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

I fell in love with this corps in 2016. When they came to my town for a show I spent an afternoon watching their full ensemble rehearsal & day's run-through. I was extremely impressed with the way things ran. The staff in the box was focused, swift and didn't waste words as they switched turns on the mic. The MMs made use of every moment on the field. Nary a valve, stick, mallet, flag or rifle was ever still. It was all about the details and SCV was getting it done. No surprise that they finished just outside of the medals.

The stands were full of supporters too, both local and of the touring sort. When the run-through was about to start, sure enough, here came the apron-clad cook staff because clearly, they couldn't bare to miss a run-through either!

(And as any former cook trailer mom can tell you, the smell of the aprons gave them away even before they sat down behind me.)

I look forward to the coming year. Go SCV!

Edited by luv4corps

A thousand times yes. I was listening to the audio of a recording from 1989 with Gale conducting it and it was just incredible.

A while ago I stumbled across what turned out to be the last time he conducted it, in the lot after finals. The audio and video quality was poor, but there wasn't a dry eye in the crowd and I can assure you I was among them every time I watched it online. If anyone can find that video I would love to see it again.

• 2 months later...

A not-so-natural force invaded the hometown of SCV earlier today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/foam-santa-clara_us_582f845ae4b058ce7aab2dad

I fell in love with this corps in 2016. When they came to my town for a show I spent an afternoon watching their full ensemble rehearsal & day's run-through. I was extremely impressed with the way things ran. The staff in the box was focused, swift and didn't waste words as they switched turns on the mic. The MMs made use of every moment on the field. Nary a valve, stick, mallet, flag or rifle was ever still. It was all about the details and SCV was getting it done. No surprise that they finished just outside of the medals.

We saw them at a rehearsal in Maryland before DCI East and that was our impression, too. Quite focused and productive, even by today's "corps rehearse better than ever" standards.

Such a great corps for so many years.

• 1 month later...

Completely agree DrumManTx!! Time to give this thread a lot more love/attention! 

Any rumors on potential source material for them this coming summer? I know this has been mentioned already, but I am absolutely intrigued with the possibility of them pulling Clowns into a show. Would have to be incredibly well thought out given design/drum corps has changed so dramatically (multiple times over) since SCV last used it in 1976. Would I like to see new music? Of course! But no there's denying the pure, raw emotion, history, and importance of that piece to the corps. I feel like if they were ever to use it again now would be it and if designed well (and with some new source material) could be a really neat mix of new and old with Clowns putting us into pure bliss at the end.

This is probably wishful/old school thinking and not suited for today's drum corps but something about it feels so right.

Thoughts?!

19 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

It's officially 2017, so happy anniversary (year) SCV!  I can't wait to see what they have in store.