Carolina Crown 2017

7 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

What's funny is that people consider the singer as playing over the brass instead of the brass actually being an accompaniment...

But I know a good amount of people that won't ever like it just because it's singing. I've sat next to many people over the last few years that groan right when anything spoken or song comes out. I'm just not one of them but we all have different tastes.

Because at the end of the day, people come to these competitions to listen to the hornline and percussion with cool visuals. 

I don't groan at any spoken word, I really liked Crown 2013 and 2014. The use of voice in this show is just not integrated as well this time though. The brass should never, ever be accompaniment to a singer. The singer should complement the brass, not the other way around. 

Edit: made the wording a little less harsh, I don't want to come off as bashing the corps, just not a fan of the implementation this year.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Because at the end of the day, people come to these competitions to listen to the hornline and percussion with cool visuals. 

I don't groan at any spoken word, I really liked Crown 2013 and 2014. The use of voice in this show is just not integrated as well this time though. The brass should never, ever be accompaniment to a singer. The singer should complement the brass, not the other way around. 

Edit: made the wording a little less harsh, I don't want to come off as bashing the corps, just not a fan of the implementation this year.

Yeah I didn't mean you specifically Cappy, but you just happened to be the one I quoted lol.

I think the first line shows the divide that'll exist for awhile in DCI with fans. I go to watch shows, not just listen to the brass or percussion and see some cool drill and guard work. I go to see the entire program. Obviously those are the meat and potatoes of every show but in the last few years we're starting to see other stuff get in the mix with it (electronics, singing, props, even uniforms) and some people just aren't fans of that stuff coming in. I remember semis in 2015, one person that sat by me left for the Blue Devils and Bluecoats because they hated what they have been and are doing now with show designs. That's a more extreme example but I think singing specifically is always going to be one of those love it or hate it things in DCI.

As for this year, the singing makes perfect sense to me in Crown's program. I guarantee the designers knew the risk of doing it but stuck with it despite what some may think of it. Still a long two months left though to see what ends up on the field in Indy in August. I'll add this to the long list of stuff me and Cappy don't agree with :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

The thing about the human voice is that we humans pay a lot of attention to it. If one singer is in front of an 80 piece orchestra, most people are going to focus on the singer. 

ShortandFast-

You have explained the situation brilliantly. We always liked Coke Classic !

Edited by Fred Windish

27 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

The thing about the human voice is that we humans pay a lot of attention to it. If one singer is in front of an 80 piece orchestra, most people are going to focus on the singer. 

In DCI where we have genuinely fantastic brass and percussion, I find that voice is best used sparingly. It can be very effective - think e=mc2 - but it's always going to draw attention to itself. It's hard for a college-aged vocalist to be as awesome of a singer as Crown's brass is of a horn line. So if your attention is constantly being pulled from a world class brass section to a decent singer, you might get a little annoyed as an audience member.

I think finding the sweet spot here is tough for designers. Crown will hopefully cut it back some as they get feedback on the show.

I'm liking the little mix of social/perceptual psychology in your explanation. Good post and I completely agree. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

The worst part about the "singer" (thus far) is the lack of integration into the show visually and tonally...
why is she hidden, and then just walks out and stands basically in one spot (front and center) like she's on "Crown's got talent"... 

She's mic'ed so she could be anywhere on the field...

just like the percussion platforms the integration of the voice is sorely lacking, on all levels (why are they just pushed to the front) and unused until time to use them... reminds me of those trampolines which were their downfall.

"IT IS" early... VERY early... 

While I have my opinions on the use of the vocals in the show, what I really think of when listening to it is Boston's "Conquest" show, but even more so.  Hopefully Crown will find the correct balance with the vocals (and they have certainly shown in past years that they can).  Personally, I am not a fan of the way it is being used right now, but I highly doubt that what we are hearing now will be the same as what we will hear late in the season .