British corps to attend 2017 DCI Championship

Seriously all.. chill. The CO coming over is not going to take anything away from the experience or the competitive awards of American corps. The worst that will happen is you will have a new corps to watch in the cinemas. Look, DCUK corps aren't daft... we know we aren't amongst the top flight of DCI... although it makes for an interesting gauge to see where we stand competitively. All they basically will be is in scored exhibition. Yes they will get a score and a placememnt but wont "knock out" anyone as if they make Semis, they will simply have 26 in Semis to compensate.

This aint the end of the world. My rookie year in Freelancers (1987) we got beat by the Spirit of Sunnyvale... a community marching band. Woodwinds and all, they beat us. It didn't "take away from my experience". I didn't feel let down that DCI (or specifically DCW) allowed them to compete. They were actually pretty good. In fact, I recall I enjoyed their show and made several friends from among their ranks. I went on to march 6 more years. Enjoy the show and if you want to experience more of the 2017 British Invasion, check out Kidsgrove at DCA.

So sit back, enjoy the show and if you want more of the British Invasion of 2017, come check out Kidsgrove at DCA

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 1

BD went across the Atlantic in recent years? I remember watching videos. Another corps went across the Pacific? I think it was on DCI news? It was a few years ago (not decades lol)

BD International did an Europe tour in 2015

BD A did an Europe tour in 2000 and 2005

Glassmen did an Europe tour in 2006

Madison Scouts did an Europe tour in 1988

I think Boston Crusaded did across the Atlantic as well

• Like 1

early 80's......... 1982 or 1983, I believe.

1982!

i9pciqwxu0vrfrn6g.jpg

• Like 1

The very essence of "international competition" is to compete beyond one's own circuit or nation by deferring to the common "international" rules.

Since they can't be compared to each other, different groups following different rules is the OPPOSITE of "international competition".

That is, rather, a set of adjudicated "international exhibitions".

Edited by candl

...allowing an all-age corps to compete in the under 21 Open/World class World Championships.

IMO the real question isn't why DCI shouldn't.

The real question is why DCI should.

...especially with the availability of the DCA All-age World Championships.

Edited by candl

...allowing an all-age corps to compete in the under 21 Open/World class World Championships.

Then perhaps DCI should just get rid of their "International" designation altogether....besides it used to be called "Nationals"anyway...

Edited by Liahona

Simple. Change the ruling. This is not the Ten Commandments. You can add something to the effect that International Corps can compete at Drum Corp INTERNATIONAL even with over age members.

Edited by afd

You do realise that Jubal, Beatrix and all the Asian corps that have come to DCI before have also had members over 22? I don't recall such an outcry!

I can't believe the vitriol against this British corps- in days of drum corps decline. Surely as Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL, we should be encouraging and celebrating any INTERNATIONAL corps that chooses DCI as a place to perform!!!

• Like 2