Underrated Shows?

11 hours ago, aLittleBird said:

BD, RE:Rite of Spring. People I know really, really hated the show, but man when they come in with the main theme of Rite of Spring I just can't get enough. Constantly listen to that show.

I haven't seen a lot of people chastise that show as much as they did for the Dada show, but I see your point. It was a great show!

• Like 1

I've been a casual reader since last season. But, I've got to say, this thread is amusing. Someone visiting for the first time, reading this, will get the impression we really DO NOT like anything about today's drum corps!  :cry:

All kidding aside, I love current drum corps productions!   ON TELEVISION !

Many of the little details, nuances that bother us, actually work VERY well on screen. Although a topic that deserves its own space, the struggle to design what works for a single viewer, in a single seat location, live, in an outdoor grandstand, and "nailing" the same performance produced on screen, with all the digital trappings, is REAL.

DCI Live! has kept this old guy in the game.  Great shows!

11 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

, I love current drum corps productions!   ON TELEVISION !

Yup. Bring the Championships back ON TELEVISION !... I'm with you too, Fred Windish. Its been WAY too long. These marchers are HUGELY talented, and deserve greater exposure to the Nation at large that only being ON TELEVISION can bring.

That said, back to the OP's topic......

Edited by BRASSO

Hey, BRASSO!

You know, I actually screwed-up and posted my comment to the wrong thread. I meant to reply to the "what tropes annoy you" discussion.  Either way, today's shows are MAGNIFICENT on television with all the advantages that can bring. It's an entirely different show than being there in person.  Most say, not as good. I say, works for me !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I've been a casual reader since last season. But, I've got to say, this thread is amusing. Someone visiting for the first time, reading this, will get the impression we really DO NOT like anything about today's drum corps!  :cry:

This thread topic is asking us for a list of shows that DCP posters liked a lot and thought were " underrated  shows ", Fred.  DCP'ers then responded  with pages worth of listed  shows by lots of Corps they liked, and that DCP'ers thought were underrated shows. So my guess,  anybody reading this thread topic will not get the impression that there is anything at all connected to the underrated shows listed here on this thread, with anything at all to do with " todays drum corps " ( let alone that these DCP posters who submitted their responses " do not like anything about todays drum corps".) Near as I can tell, unless I'm missing something here, there is no connection at all to " todays drum corps " and what the OP is asking us here on this thread topic of theirs.

Edited by BRASSO

1991 Phantom Regiment " Phantom Voices "... they finished 3rd this season. It sort of got lost that season, and I thought their strong Finals Performances this nite, might have pushed them to the top. Its underrated, imo... Phantom later brought back some of these musical selections later in DCI, but it was fresh, emotional, and well done for this timeframe ( 1991), imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

And I imagine one of the sexiest guard moves evar had nothing to do with your feelings about that show.

As a matter of fact, it had little to do with the fact that it was a favorite of mine, and was an underrated show, imo. I do agree with you however that it was a sexy guard move by Phantom in 1991, Ghost. My favorite ( or underrated ) shows tend to be ones that I like musically. I've seen Corps try to sell their shows with sex a lot over the years. But " sex " can't save a Drum Corps show for me. If Phantom did that guard move you are talking about, but the music ( for me ) was a yawner,  you'd have not had me list this Corps show for one of my " underrated " shows, Ghost.

Edited by BRASSO