Electronics, Costumes, Tarps, and Props...

I think you have it backwards. The availability of the 'A' portion of A&E has facilitated the use of props. I think that two great use of props in 2016, Bluecoats and Crown, would have been difficult to achieve without the ability to use amplification in a variety of ways.

Interesting perspective.

In what ways would 'Coats' or Crown's show been difficult without amps?

What props would they not have been able to use without it?

"...was..."

The prosecution rests.

Actually they are still running very successful tours in Japan and have an entire new show "BLAST! The Music Of Disney" Same design staff. We'll be seeing them again. They're not done yet.

Interesting perspective.

Bluecoats used mics on the slides when the drummers were standing on top doing the clapping bit. So at least that neat moment would not have worked if not micced. I thought a mic was used with the soloist on the stagecoach, If not, then never mind about Crown.

Did I say that they could not have used props without mics? If so..my bad. I just think that having the mics allows for the integrated use of the props as mentioned above, and at least for the spots noted it was the mics that made them work.

Interesting perspective.

I'm not certain it's as simple as "evolve or die". however, I do believe the reinvention of oneself as a performer, is what keeps people interested in your art. Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Cavies, Madonna, Rolling Stones... etc. They all continue to tour, and they continue to reinvent themselves. They all have notable performance styles, however, they continue to strive to create something fresh within those styles to attract more fans.

I'm not certain it's as simple as "evolve or die". however, I do believe the reinvention of oneself as a performer, is what keeps people interested in your art. Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Cavies, Madonna, Rolling Stones... etc. They all continue to tour, and they continue to reinvent themselves. They all have notable performance styles, however, they continue to strive to create something fresh within those styles to attract more fans.

I'm confused why you quoted Garfield and did not answer his questions.

I'm confused why you quoted Garfield and did not answer his questions.

bah!!! did that response on my phone. thought I clicked on someone else's post about "evolve or die". still getting used to the iPhone SE with my fat fingers.

Edited by C.Holland

Interesting perspective.

however, you cannot achieve the soft velvet timbre of many of the solos bluecoats had without a mic and amp. hearing the claps effectively would not be possible without the amps.

• Like 1

bah!!! did that response on my phone. thought I clicked on someone else's post about "evolve or die". still getting used to the iPhone SE with my fat fingers.

All good-was just trying to understand what you meant, that makes more sense.

I am not completely satisfied with the evolution of DCI and the things mentioned here. I am not saying there haven't been great usages of the equipment and props mentioned, but overall I am not excited by every corps attempting to use them.

Bluecoats are a perfect example of good and bad usage. In 2014 Tilt was an excellent show that used electronics to the best of their ability. However in 2015 when they performed Kinetic Noise, it was absolutely dreadful. The electronics were used to cover up the dreadful hornline(sorry, I have seen horn videos where you can actually hear the performance of the hornline) This year, Downside Up was a nice use of props, however, they were overused. The entire show focused more on the ramps than the actual drill, which was lacking compared to other top 6 corps. It was a great and very entertaining show, but didn't deserve to win. And I felt the ramps could have been used in the opening statement, and would have been more effective then if they built a backdrop with them, performed several minutes of really cool drill, and then used them the last 3 minutes of the show to do all the cool things that they used them for throughout the show.

With electronics, there are many corps who use them effectively. However when the electronics cover up the hornline, I feel a little disappointed. I am going to the show and paying to see and hear an amazing hornline. If I want to hear synthesizer, I can play one at home, or at school. But I can't replicate the sound of 64-80 horns at home, no matter how hard I try. I am not against synth and electronics at all, just would prefer a happier medium.

Props can be great and add to the show. And most corps use them pretty well. The only time I don't necessarily care for props is if they really distract or limit the drill movements.

Costuming is also very important to shows. When the corps uniform is usually the same, guard costuming can be important in helping to tell a story, or show variance between characters. And I think SCV has used costuming to perfection, in such shows where they used the tunnels to change costumer, or in Scheherazade when the lead female changes and reappears. And especially in 94 where the guard suddenly reappears after the crossover in a completely different costume. i think costuming is great unless it inhibits movement of the corps members.

• Like 1