Electronics, Costumes, Tarps, and Props...

I can see why you'd feel that way. But, I think that's more of a personal preference than any one style of show design being better.

Those were all pretty widely disliked/deemed very ineffective and in the way. An opinion maybe but one that was very widely shared and it's obvious they didn't help how they finished.

• Like 1

I can see why you'd feel that way. But, I think that's more of a personal preference than any one style of show design being better.

Your initial post was not about "style of show design being better". It was "IMO more options will always lead to better art. Sure props, synths, etc may be tacky at times but I think it's important DCI has them so people have a whole new set of tools with which they can amaze and entertain." You asked for "examples", so I listed some that I feel did not "amaze and entertain" moi. If I've missed read or misunderstood your post it's my bad.

My bad if I was unclear Ghost. My main point is just that if things are experimented with some of those will become really useful whiles others will prove useless and will fall into obscurity, and from what I've seen props/electronics can be used well and poorly. I think props/electronics are choices that won't necessarily determine whether people succeed or fail it's how those items are used which will decide success.

• Like 1

I'm not clear why Props are being thrown in with Electronics?

Props have been in DCI before -- they come and go. They're really not the same as the use of electronics at all.

But, as a platform for mics and amps and speakers?

Props to facilitate the use of A&E...

Edited by garfield

i see where you're going -- but electronics really don't require props at all.

i'll allow that i may be wrong about that -- but that's my first reaction. props don't worry me at all.

i see where you're going -- but electronics really don't require props at all.

If you want a show with giant talking props, then yes, they do. :tongue:

• Like 1

I think you have it backwards. The availability of the 'A' portion of A&E has facilitated the use of props. I think that two great use of props in 2016, Bluecoats and Crown, would have been difficult to achieve without the ability to use amplification in a variety of ways.

Giving your viewpoint the benefit of the doubt, what musical tastes do A&E, Props, and field speakers address in the "normal people" audience that analog does not? Is summer marching band competition for excellence not enough to attract the kids and the audience?

What excellence are we presenting, BLAST!? To appeal to the public it must be iPads, props, amps and speakers?

BLAST is pretty successful :)

• Like 1