2003 Regiment "Harmonic Journey"

I find myself rewatching or relistening to Phantom Regiment's 2003 program quite often. 

It seemed to grow and grow dramatically that season - culminating in a fine finish at the World Championships

I bring this up to ask a simple question to those who have some insight on 2003 vs. 2016

This past year moments of their program reminded me of the 2003 show - but there was an apparent lack of development and tweaking of the program during the season

It just didn't "grow" enough

I still loved the show - but any insight on how the two year's differed?

Thanks,

George 

I commented early in the 2016 season the similarities in rep of the two shows. But it was on paper only.

Some differences to me:
- Similarities in the rep stylistically, but not in hummability. With the exception of the Young Person's Guide, the melodies in 2003 trumped those in 2016.
- The build in the opener then the follow up to Wild Nights was delightfully purposeful. The 2016 opener seemed much too brief and thrown together in comparison.
- While the visual programs are really no comparison, I'll mention that the big drill move in the closer in 2003 was much more effective than what they tried to do in 2016. 

Ultimately, I don't think 2016 fell short due to tweaks, I think it was always just a poor man's 2003 from the start.

• Like 1

One of my favorite Phantom shows, and the ending is righteous.

I loved the Phantom Regiment 2003 show... " Harmonic Journey ".

The closer, both musically and visually, kickedazz bigtime. Phantom Regiment 2016 was visually enjoyable I thought, and ok musically. But Phantom Regiment 2003 was a more enjoyable show overall for me than 2016.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2003 was a more visceral program.....and it was     appreciated by many. I hope 2017 brings back the raw, heartfelt energy the Regiment is known for. SUTA!

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I loved the Phantom Regiment 2003 show... " Harmonic Journey ".

The closer, both musically and visually, kickedazz bigtime. Phantom Regiment 2016 was visually enjoyable I thought, and ok musically. But Phantom Regiment 2003 was a more enjoyable show overall for me than 2016.

Harmonic Journey was, for me, the most musical show Regiment has done since Defiant Heart. Nothing else from them has come close.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

The thing about 2003 show was that the program was designed to put emphasis on music over drill - but they happened to have a decently good drill that fit in with the music just about perfectly at the right times. The impact sets were great. And the mm's did a heck of a job performing the show. 

What the show had was a continuous theme - the Canon in D - and when they finished the Bartok and went into the reprise with the Canon, along with that impact set right there, was one of the most magical moments I have ever seen in a drum corps show. And then the way they closed it out - first the beauty of the Canon being played at fff, tubular bells ringing the angels down from Heaven itself, the backwards pass-throughs, the colorguard in their black suits and yellow flags spinning away in tandem and congregating on the right side of the field to get out of the way of the brass - and then the suspense and potential energy when the front ensemble went back to the Bartok for those 4 bars, then it just kept building and building until the final hit - and I think those of us who have seen the show (and it only takes one viewing) to remember the final set - tremendous (in fact I can still visualize the entire show, music and drill, from the beginning of the reprise until the end) - and that suspense, it wasn't just in the closer, it was all through the Bartok, too, not to mention the Adams. It was a really aesthetically pleasing blend of beauty (Canon & the ballad), mystery (Adams), and suspense (Bartok, closer).

This show was one of the best musical programs ever written for a marching ensemble.

They also hit the nail on the head with 2008, but I have a soft spot in my heart for 2003. 2016 was not even close. Neither was the Triumphant Journey show they did 3-4 years ago.

I would have to rank 2003 just 3rd behind 1996 and 2008 as their best programs ever. 1989 and Faust would round out the top 5, with Into the Light a close 6th, only because the brass was lacking that season. Percussion was incredible.

Closer:

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

You know what completes that, even though the show's over?

1)  The solo guard girl laughing and crying at the same time from the emotion at the end.

2)  Her fist pump.

3)  The fierce hug she gets from the other girl.

WE understand those....but try to explain to a non-corps person?   Good luck.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

You know what completes that, even though the show's over?

1)  The solo guard girl laughing and crying at the same time from the emotion at the end.

2)  Her fist pump.

3)  The fierce hug she gets from the other girl. 

And I raise you the shot of the contra player after the 2008 show ended.  Just soaking in the crowd's response.

• Like 3

I wanted to march down the aisle at my wedding to the 03 opener. Wife said no.

That's about all I have to contribute. Carry on.