Unpopular Opinions?

3 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

I'll go a different route: these are who I consider the best judges in DCI at "thinking for themselves" and giving the MOST fair and accurate scoring and spreads. Here are my Top 5 (alphabetically).

1. Joe Allison
  2. Albert Lo
  3. Glenn Fugett
  4. Paul McGarr
  5. Jeff Prosperie

I will refrain from TORCHing the PINheads I think are on the SAUCE every time they judge.

Although Joe Allison hasn't judged DCI for a couple of years now.

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Although Joe Allison hasn't judged DCI for a couple of years now.

So I see. Was it a voluntary separation or was he shown the door for making too much sense? :innocent:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stu said:

Your accusation here is collusion; a form of dishonesty.  So, again please name those in which you believe lack integrity and are in collusion.

Influence is not the same as collusion.  Out-of-band relationships can dispose one to all sort of thoughts that might not otherwise occur.  There need not be secrecy or conspiracy.  

31 minutes ago, imcbdit said:

Influence is not the same as collusion.  Out-of-band relationships can dispose one to all sort of thoughts that might not otherwise occur.  There need not be secrecy or conspiracy.  

Collusion need not be secret.  The accusation put forth here is that within DCI adjudicating there is not just mere influence, but that there is a head of the heard, with all the other calves following the head of the heard, and the entire heard congregates outside of DCI to make sure the heard stays together.  Again, that is a claim of a textbook form, out in the open Collusion, not just mere influence.

1 hour ago, hostrauser said:

I'll go a different route: these are who I consider the best judges in DCI at "thinking for themselves" and giving the MOST fair and accurate scoring and spreads. Here are my Top 5 (alphabetically).

1. Joe Allison
  2. Glenn Fugett
  3. Albert Lo
  4. Paul McGarr
  5. Jeff Prosperie

I will refrain from TORCHing the PINheads I think are on the SAUCE every time they judge.

By only listing five, or any number for that mater, who you consider best at thinking for themselves, and omitting others for this list, there is no need for you to list who you consider as following-the-heard, on-the-sauce pinheads who have trouble thinking for themselves.  The implication is already there via omission.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Each season is different and scores/placements/performances are only relevant to a specific year.  That in no way (except I suppose in your eyes) should take away from the Academy’s achievement in 2016 of making top 12 for the very first time!  I suppose to you the 2006 World Series winner St. Louis Cardinals are likely not worthy of their title either.  They only had an 83 – 79 regular season record, and four of the six teams in the NL Central division finished below .500 on the season; and in most other seasons the Cardinals would not have even made the Playoffs.  But the truth of the matter is that the Academy ‘earned’ top 12 in 2016 and the Cardinals ‘earned’ the World Series Ring in 2006.  To state any different is to actually disrespect those who were on the field earning those achievements.

This is an unpopular opinion thread right?..not an I want to argue with your unpopular opinion...LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tobias said:

I believe there is a herd mentality amongst the judges with the head of the herd telling the calves which corps to dump as they start to solidify the top 3. (Check out gaps between third and fourth place corps) regardless of gaps the entire season.

I believe there are way too many off season relationships between judges and staff of corps  and the huge subjective component in scoring should be minimized to remove biased influenced on scoring. 

I believe Cadets should have won in 2007. The risk of voice in the program should have been rewarded vs BD with a traditional show. Why was innovation not important that year but when BD started lining the field with furniture, the judges started rewarding novelty. And then there was that 2010 show. :-((

I didn't feel that the singer from 2007 did anything to enhance that show that year...not the worst singer in DCI history...but far from the best either...'shut up and play' seemed to be a popular mantra as well... :ninja:

25 minutes ago, Liahona said:

This is an unpopular opinion thread right?..not an I want to argue with your unpopular opinion...LOL

So, to you my contentious opinions are unpopular.  Well then; they actually do fit quite well into this thread thank you. :w00t:

Just now, Stu said:

So, to you my contentious opinions are unpopular.  Well then; they actually do fit quite well into this thread thank you. :w00t:

oh go RELAX on the beach or something like that :colgate:

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Your accusation here is collusion; a form of dishonesty.  So, again please name those in which you believe lack integrity and are in collusion.

Biases don't have to be intentional but they're present.