Unpopular Opinions?

The Cavaliers should only have two titles. They were not the best corps in a full five of their championship seasons. They won on visual novelty alone in at least two or three years.

The Madison Scouts are the most overrated corps by the fans in DCI history. They've put out only five or six good shows in the past thirty years and their reputation is still riding the laurels of championships won before any current DCI marcher was born.

Dave Glyde's and Wayne Downey's 21st Century arranging style just sucks, and it amazes me that the Blue Devils don't get hammered in Musical GE (er, GE 2) due to lack of musical coherency. That's not to say they aren't talented. Just that the Blue Devils' musical design gets rewarded for things that should not be rewarded. So maybe this is more of a gripe with the DCI sheets.

DCI should go back to three classes (World, Open, and A) as there are far more than two levels of competition and objective in the drum corps activity.

DCI should also strip tour requirements and implement an advancement/relegation system like the English Premier League. It is just absurd that Blue Devils B, Vanguard Cadets, Racine Scouts, Blue Devils C, and Blue Saints are all lumped into the same catch-all "non-World" class.

Fight me. :fight:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hostrauser said:

The Cavaliers should only have two titles. They were not the best corps in a full five of their championship seasons. They won on visual novelty alone in at least two or three years.

The Madison Scouts are the most overrated corps by the fans in DCI history. They've put out only five or six good shows in the past thirty years and their reputation is still riding the laurels of championships won before any current DCI marcher was born.

Dave Glyde's and Wayne Downey's 21st Century arranging style just sucks, and it amazes me that the Blue Devils don't get hammered in Musical GE (er, GE 2) due to lack of musical coherency. That's not to say they aren't talented. Just that the Blue Devils' musical design gets rewarded for things that should not be rewarded. So maybe this is more of a gripe with the DCI sheets.

DCI should go back to three classes (World, Open, and A) as there are far more than two levels of competition and objective in the drum corps activity.

DCI should also strip tour requirements and implement an advancement/relegation system like the English Premier League. It is just absurd that Blue Devils B, Vanguard Cadets, Racine Scouts, Blue Devils C, and Blue Saints are all lumped into the same catch-all "non-World" class.

Haha! Love it!

I agree with the last three.

I agree that the first three would be unpopular opinions. Also, I assume you mean during the DCI years for The Cavaliers.

• Like 1

Yes, DCI seasons only. 

2 hours ago, hostrauser said:

1992 and 2002 are the two years, by the way. 

2 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Wonder who would be Hull City, Middlesbroough, and Sunderland this coming August?

5 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Totally agree on the first two points you make, can't agree completely on the third. There's definitely been some shows where I've wondered "what are they even doing" (2010 comes to mind), but I think their style fits their visual programs really well. 

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Wonder who would be Hull City, Middlesbroough, and Sunderland this coming August?

I've kept a log of this, setting it up to start back in '72. I'll post the results sometime soon, but the tiers are for the most part pretty much what you would expect.

In many other seasons, the Academy's 2016 show would not make Finals. The relatively poor quality of shows from the Madison Scouts and Boston Crusaders that season paved the way for the Academy to make its first Finals appearance.

(Disclaimer: I am talking strictly in terms of placement, not my personal enjoyment of the show.)

46 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

In many other seasons, the Academy's 2016 show would not make Finals. The relatively poor quality of shows from the Madison Scouts and Boston Crusaders that season paved the way for the Academy to make its first Finals appearance.

(Disclaimer: I am talking strictly in terms of placement, not my personal enjoyment of the show.)

Yeah, and 1986 Vanguard would have won every other DCI championship held before then.  Their timing was lousy.  You can only compete in the year you have that show, and Academy was 11th last year because they were better than everyone below them.  There have been plenty of shows through the years that had flaws, but they were one of the best 12 shows for THAT YEAR.  The old story about the two hunters running from the angry bear applies here:  you only have to outrun the other guy, not the bear.

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Each season is different and scores/placements/performances are only relevant to a specific year.  That in no way (except I suppose in your eyes) should take away from the Academy’s achievement in 2016 of making top 12 for the very first time!  I suppose to you the 2006 World Series winner St. Louis Cardinals are likely not worthy of their title either.  They only had an 83 – 79 regular season record, and four of the six teams in the NL Central division finished below .500 on the season; and in most other seasons the Cardinals would not have even made the Playoffs.  But the truth of the matter is that the Academy ‘earned’ top 12 in 2016 and the Cardinals ‘earned’ the World Series Ring in 2006.  To state any different is to actually disrespect those who were on the field earning those achievements.

22 hours ago, hostrauser said:

In any competitive arena where the top cumulative score in a Final Competition wins the Gold, the unit which gets the most points on that day wins the Gold.  That is fair, equitable, and sensible. Thus, whether you, I, or anyone else not judging those contests view other corps shows those years as being better, the years in which The Cavaliers achieved the highest cumulative score at Finals competition they did indeed ‘deserve’ to win the Gold.

• Like 3