Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

1 minute ago, cowtown said:

That doesn’t make sense; it confuses two ideas, a hand shake deal and a contract. Never known a contract to be validated, accepted by a handshake, how’d that work, a video of hands shaking over a contract? I’ve seen thumbprint signatures on a contact but not a handshake. I also don’t get how it’s sad or accept that was once a time where everyone’s word was always and forever good but I would like to visit this magical place.

If Boston is so flush with cash, they’ll probably scholarship the debt or perhaps publically shame Crown in to releasing the marchers without collecting 

Clearly there is bad blood between the corps and it is sad if it’s being taken out on the marchers but it is also sort of nice because it reminds of back in the day when corps loyalty mattered more so a bit conflicted myself 

Oh, good God.  Do I have to say this?:

It was about character.

Remember, one of those things the activity is trying to teach its kids as they become adults?

And really?  You've never made a "handshake" deal?  

• Like 2

For all those who are anti Crown on this matter, do you also get angry at your cell phone carrier for expecting you to pay your bill? Or for enforcing early cancellation fees when they're clearly written in that paperwork you signed in exchange for half off your iPhone?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

In amateur college sports, if a player on athletic scholarship transfers to another school, the new school might provide him a scholarship. However, the idea that such player that transferred would have to pay back the scholarship monies to the previous school is prohibited from being done by NCAA rules and regs. They have policies that address this. For one reason ( among many ) they believe it is just plain stupid, to ask a player that transferred to pay back SCHOLARSHIP  monies to their previous school after they left the school. But to be clear on this, in the absence of DCI policy here with DCI, Carolina Crown appears to be acting in a legal fashion here, even if in many quarters in DCI their policy their policy is raising eyebrows to say the least.. 

In most transfers there are penalties though. Typically, the player transferring is required to sit out a year of playing, which some would argue is even steeper than paying back scholarship money.

• Like 1

Just now, dsundercover said:

In most transfers there are penalties though. Typically, the player transferring is required to sit out a year of playing, which some would argue is even steeper than paying back scholarship money.

They didnt work years ago when in place and wouldnt now..jmo..it's one reason contracts were formed.

Ive been down this road with corps, staff, mms, winter programs and yes even HS programs when a kid wants to march independent.

From what I have heard from people at crown, is that approximately 18-20 crown guard vets are planning on going to Boston. I'm sure this is a big reason for crown to try to keep that from happening. I'm sure they will stop anyone they can from going. I can totally understand the frustration. They won the zingali last year. Now they have to watch all that talent go to Boston. I'd be pretty ###### too. I  have to say though being involved with Crown for quite some time I've never heard of this rule of scholarship repayment. They have always had the rule of paying the tuition fully before you can transfer to another corps, but this seems like something new maybe. 

1 minute ago, the lone ranger said:

From what I have heard from people at crown, is that approximately 18-20 crown guard vets are planning on going to Boston. I'm sure this is a big reason for crown to try to keep that from happening. I'm sure they will stop anyone they can from going. I can totally understand the frustration. They won the zingali last year. Now they have to watch all that talent go to Boston. I'd be pretty ###### too. I  have to say though being involved with Crown for quite some time I've never heard of this rule of scholarship repayment. They have always had the rule of paying the tuition fully before you can transfer to another corps, but this seems like something new maybe. 

And believe me , there is ALWAYS more to the story.

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

I

Every scholarship comes with limitations and restrictions.  Play this way, act this way, stay this long, contribute in these ways, stay out of trouble.

True, and in this DCI example, the former Carolina Crown marchers "act this way or else " that forced their " scholarship " monies to be converted to " payment on demand " was the " troubled " decision to simply decide to march another Corps when they completed that scholarship season with Carolina Crown. If people now here on DCP are so supportive or dismissive of such a restrictive transfer policy by a top DCI Corps, where have they been the last few years here on DCP when they were all telling us they did not want such marcher restrictions to transfers between Corps ?  Having scholarship monies converted to payment on demand notices from another season because one transfers to another DCI Corps sure seems " restrictive " to me, and I would assume to most people that are clear thinking on this.

Edited by BRASSO

9 minutes ago, ouooga said:

For all those who are anti Crown on this matter, do you also get angry at your cell phone carrier for expecting you to pay your bill? Or for enforcing early cancellation fees when they're clearly written in that paperwork you signed in exchange for half off your iPhone?

No one is mad at Crown except for Brasso...

1) Yes, a contract is contract, and a binding agreement.  So if the language is there in the scholarship contract, then that's that.  You read it, signed it, enjoyed the fruits of it marching with Crown.

but...

2) If a what should be considered one of the consistently Top 3 corps going in the activity right now, why is that in the scholarship contract?  I can understand if the MM quits in the middle of the season, or gets kicked out, but for fulfilling the obligation to the corps for the season, and then wanting to go elsewhere...kind of sucks on that end.

In the end, maybe DCI will step up and make the 2 groups do a drumline battle at one of the regionals this year.  That could be interesting!!!  Possibly follow it up with a staff tug of war, or arm wrestling. :fight:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

For the record, the fact that the "proof" came out in a matter of hours proves that the poster could have waited until actual proof was in hand before inflaming a thread of rumor.

That said, so what?  It's a CONTRACT.  According the THE CONTRACT, the recipient of a scholarship owes it back if said MM changes corps.  Under what terms?  Who cares?  It's a CONTRACT and it was signed by TWO parties.  If contracts are no good, then how about we change the gate entry requirements when you're holding a ticket to get in.  Nope, that contract in your hand in the form of a ticket is not fair.  We're nullifying and ignoring it, and SHAME on you for having the temerity to expect me to uphold my end of it.

A kid went to BAC, he owed money from his scholarship contract.  He knew, he left.  The end.  Pay the money - move on.

And don't forget that it will be DCI that declares the MM unqualified, because the directors wrote these rules.  If BAC is dead-set on taking him, let them pay the monies due.  That's the way it works.

And please don't have the presumption that any one of us here are either qualified or entitled to tell a World Class drum corps how they should run their business.  If you're right that this should be condemned, the market - that echo chamber of potential MM's - will take care of it.  We here get to run our drum corps the way we want.

I would direct any further inquiry to the Crown office but, please be sensitive to the fact that staff members are PLANNING A DRUM CORPS SEASON and are not obligated, nor presumed, to spend a minute of their time addressing a disagreement with how their corps is run.

EDIT: To clarify, each of us here who donate funds to Crown, volunteer for Crown, support the group in any way even to the casual fan who refuses to buy souvies, can all express our dissatisfaction with the notion of Crown enforcing its contract by withdrawing that support.  That's also how the market works.  Whether or not your contribution is sufficient to weigh on the Crown Executive and BOD is dependent upon each contributor.

Re "CONTRACT", and this applies to life outside of Drum Corps as well, I have heard the analogy that you have a loaded gun in your hand every time you pick up a pen to sign your name to something.  It is up to the signer to know what is in what they are signing.  Caveat Emptor.

• Like 3