Phantom Regiment 2017

19 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Madison may very well end up 13th, but I would rather have them place 13th with a show that fits with modern drum corps than 8th with another show like 2015. If you don't change, you don't grow. There are/may be growing pains, but at least you're moving forward.

I doubt your sincerity with that statement as there is a conflict in your argument 

Edited by cowtown
I meant doubt not don't
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

When you look at corps like Bluecoats, BD and SCV, who are mastering the integration of electronics into their programs, elevating the usage of props and staging, modernizing their drills, playing a variety of different music genres in their shows, and playing music on the field that hasn't been heard before, Regiment isn't doing any of those things. They are following, not leading (same with a number of corps). 

Again, you argument doesn’t  make any sense, it’s noise.  You accuse them of not doing all these things other corps are doing and then conclude they are following and that's the problem.:blink:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

When you look at corps like Bluecoats, BD and SCV, who are mastering the integration of electronics into their programs, elevating the usage of props and staging, modernizing their drills, playing a variety of different music genres in their shows, and playing music on the field that hasn't been heard before, Regiment isn't doing any of those things. They are following, not leading (same with a number of corps). 

Not sure I would say they are 'following' anyone. It seems more like, hey, this is what we're gonna do so, deal with it. My issue is not with them being or not being a follower. If they want to compete for a top spot, the current vehicle is not going to cut it, I think we'd all agree on that. I'm not saying I don't like it either. It's just not the direction the activity has been going and does this not appear to be ending anytime soon.

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd like to see them go they way of the activity. Though, I must admit, I prefer SCV over everyone in the top 6 thus far.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Not sure I would say they are 'following' anyone. It seems more like, hey, this is what we're gonna do so, deal with it. My issue is not with them being or not being a follower. If they want to compete for a top spot, the current vehicle is not going to cut it, I think we'd all agree on that. I'm not saying I don't like it either. It's just not the direction the activity has been going and does this not appear to be ending anytime soon.

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd like to see them go they way of the activity. Though, I must admit, I prefer SCV over everyone in the top 6 thus far.

Yes, absolutely. I like the show too. I'm a huge classical music buff, so how could I not like their music. I agree - SCV is by far my favorite show this year.

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

I doubt your sincerity with that statement as there is a conflict in your argument 

It doesn't matter whether or not you think I'm sincere. Madison, Regiment, SCV and Cadets have always been dear to my heart since the early 80s. If Star were around I would include them as well, but sadly they are not.

I understand the conflict in what I said re: following. I was in a rush to get to a meeting. What I meant to say is they aren't leading the activity - they aren't the ones people are following. They aren't innovating - that's BD and Bluecoats IMO. Look at how what Bluecoats did last year is effecting the activity today. True innovators. Regiment used to be among the activities innovators. They aren't anymore.

What I said above, "integration of electronics into their programs, elevating the usage of props and staging, modernizing their drills, playing a variety of different music genres in their shows, and playing music on the field that hasn't been heard before" absolutely isn't noise. It is truth. They aren't really doing any of those things. The white helmets littered all over the filed is messy and not well thought out IMO. These things need to stop being an after thought and more thought out.

I hope they will get there. When you look at how at the forefront of the activity they were in 2006-2008, for example, it's really disheartening to see where they are today.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, henry7184 said:

I think that's true to a point, but design is still definitely a HUGE issue. I really don't see them placing above 9th because of design alone. As someone above said, BK's show is exactly what the judges are looking for, and because of that, they will be rewarded. 

It's crazy how in the 80s and 90s, I'd get so upset if Regiment or Scouts were not top 5. Then, with Madison, 8th was good enough, now 12th is good enough. When does it end? With Regiment 8th has been good enough. I'm sorry, but I want both Madison and Phantom to be powerhouses again. 8th is not good enough for me with either any more.

I like Regiment's show plenty this year. It's entertaining - more entertaining to me that BK, but I don't think (from a design standpoint) that it will hold up to last year's top 7 and BAC, which puts them 9th.

"It's what the judges are looking for."

Well, the corps write the sheets so it's their job to design and execute accordingly.