Phantom Regiment 2017

9 minutes ago, fatbrassboy said:

I've thought the same thing about the low brass this year. Definitely not as strong as PR usually is. It would be awesome if they could get a professional like Robert Nunez, Regiment alum. He the the principal tuba players for the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra in NOLA and works with the Stars low brass. He's got the reputation  of being an amazing teacher.

He was back in my day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fatbrassboy said:

I've thought the same thing about the low brass this year. Definitely not as strong as PR usually is. It would be awesome if they could get a professional like Robert Nunez, Regiment alum. He the the principal tuba players for the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra in NOLA and works with the Stars low brass. He's got the reputation  of being an amazing teacher.

Getting a new brass caption head/staff should definitely be on Phantom's shopping list this offseason. Also, I hope they start doing shows that are more aesthetically pleasing to watch. They haven't had one of those shows since 2010, IMO.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Getting a new brass caption head/staff should definitely be on Phantom's shopping list this offseason. Also, I hope they start doing shows that are more aesthetically pleasing to watch. They haven't had one of those shows since 2010, IMO.

More changes aren't what they need. They already lost a bunch of them to Cavies over the last 3 years.

Plus, whom would they get? Who would want to go there?

Edited by phd-student-TTU

2 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

More changes aren't what they need. Plus, who would they get? Who would want to go there?

Would picking up new staff members that can train the brass members to perform better work better than just getting a brand new caption head? I guess my problem is not necessarily the brass sound, but the execution of the brass book (I'll eat these words if the brass is on fire late in the season).

45 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Would picking up new staff members that can train the brass members to perform better work better than just getting a brand new caption head? I guess my problem is not necessarily the brass sound, but the execution of the brass book (I'll eat these words if the brass is on fire late in the season).

I'm going with the kids are really young. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I'm going with the kids are really young. 

That is most probably the result of them slipping into the 7-9 range. Not nearly as much veteran talent coming in, and more would-be veteran talent leaving for other corps. The Cavaliers went through this phase earlier in the decade after Gaines left, and it seems Phantom is going through this very phase now.

It's too bad they've winded up in this position in the five years I've been following DCI. And yes, the first season I followed DCI was the year they did Turandot, their last medaling show and the peak of an epic three-year rise in placement after the failure that was The Red Violin. They slipped the next year with Triumphant Journey and haven't recovered since.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

And yes, the first season I followed DCI was the year they did Turandot, their last medaling show 

What an epic shows that was by them...one of my all-time favorites...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

That is most probably the result of them slipping into the 7-9 range. Not nearly as much veteran talent coming in, and more would-be veteran talent leaving for other corps. The Cavaliers went through this phase earlier in the decade after Gaines left, and it seems Phantom is going through this very phase now.

It's too bad they've winded up in this position in the five years I've been following DCI. And yes, the first season I followed DCI was the year they did Turandot, their last medaling show and the peak of an epic three-year rise in placement after the failure that was The Red Violin. They slipped the next year with Triumphant Journey and haven't recovered since.

Huh, that's the same year I started following DCI too

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Here's hoping this design team stays around and reverses this trend. What I consider to be a major improvement in design compared to the last several years will probably result in no change in placement given the surge of BAC.

In the short term, it will be important to program shows that will appeal to 18-20 year olds while sticking to the corps's roots as much as possible.

• Like 2

Just watched a rehearsal vid from yesterday evening. 

The opening set is new to me. Tubas begin on the sideline, and the opening is guard centric.

There are new (to me) voice overs sprinkled in throughout: "phantasm," "fantasy invasion," "beauty."

And the guard is indeed still in white to end the show, but they're just using flags instead.