Phantom Regiment 2017

44 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Got to see Regiment over the weekend, admittedly on video.  It's a nice show, and it's a nice Phantom show.  But compared to what the top corps are doing, it does feel a bit of a throwback. I hate to keep comparing corps, but there's no reason that Phantom couldn't do a show a la Crown's Inferno, E=mc2, etc., and still fit right in the "Phantom" wheelhouse.  Regardless, I'm rooting for this show.  DCI is more fun for me when Phantom is challenging at the top. :)

Mike

Mike:

Crown is a perfect example of what Regiment could be/have been. But for some reason unknown to this alum, they haven't gone there. There have been very few Crown shows that I haven't liked. Then, there was this year, can't say it's one of my favorites.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Mike:

Crown is a perfect example of what Regiment could be/have been. But for some reason unknown to this alum, they haven't gone there. There have been very few Crown shows that I haven't liked. Then, there was this year, can't say it's one of my favorites.

Agree on all fronts. Same with Madison. Bluecoats are a perfect example of they could be/have been. I do like the older style shows better but they don't compete these days when design and innovation play a bigger part.

13 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Agree on all fronts. Same with Madison. Bluecoats are a perfect example of they could be/have been. I do like the older style shows better but they don't compete these days when design and innovation play a bigger part.

And the thing is, they vote for the same rules as all the other corps ahead of them. They know what's going to be judged and how it will be judged because they determine the criteria. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

Exactly.  I do applaud what Madison has done this year, though - sometimes you just have to rip the band aid off.  It may take their alums some time to wrap their brains around the "new normal" though.  Phantom just seems a little slower in coming around to the same place everyone is at now.

I don't mean to bag on Phantom.  It's not like they have a bad show this year.  I just want them to be up with the movers and shakers.  They should be helping define what can be done on the field, not trying to adapt to it. 

Mike

• Like 1

Doing the same in DCI as everyone else does seem required but it doesn’t guarantee anything. Madison may end up in 13th place again and for what? Not every corps can be Crown (insert flavor of the Day) due to the ranking / judging system. Regiment’s show clearly won’t win even if they did have the show they don’t have the marchers  but I do feel it’s a move in the right direction. I don’t get the throwback comment for this year nor do I get the high school band show (I don’t watch High School bands, so maybe it does). What I did get was their show looked unique compared to all the other corps on the field and that’s a good thing. Because eventually after following the heard, you need to step out of the heard to move up.

It’s too early to say how this show will end up; their issue is dirt not design. Maybe as it cleans, the design will make it more apparent as to the success of the show’s direction. The other positive of this year is their show is far cooler than the past 2 years and that matters for setting up the next couple of years as to who shows up, again, no guarantee of anything but a start

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Mike:

Hmmmm. If only they had had Klesch and May at one time...

• Like 1

So I'm one of those people who really likes to see and hear something on the field that is - - - beautiful.  There is already plenty of dissonance out there but there is a dearth of beauty.  I think Crown's opener is beautiful, gorgeous, love it.  There are moments of beauty in many shows.  And then there are some shows where I keep waiting for that moment of beauty but it never comes.  (Sorry, Madison Scouts, but your music book comes to mind.  I was never too keen on Mad Max.)  I have counted on Phantom supplying the beauty.  This year, even with a young corps, they are playing a lot of beautiful music.  I agree with Cowtown - it's an issue of being dirty.  When I saw them on the Dekalb show, they had improved greatly from the beginning of the season.  I am hoping that this trend will continue. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, cowtown said:

It’s too early to say how this show will end up; their issue is dirt not design. Maybe as it cleans, the design will make it more apparent as to the success of the show’s direction. The other positive of this year is their show is far cooler than the past 2 years and that matters for setting up the next couple of years as to who shows up, again, no guarantee of anything but a start

I think that's true to a point, but design is still definitely a HUGE issue. I really don't see them placing above 9th because of design alone. As someone above said, BK's show is exactly what the judges are looking for, and because of that, they will be rewarded. 

It's crazy how in the 80s and 90s, I'd get so upset if Regiment or Scouts were not top 5. Then, with Madison, 8th was good enough, now 12th is good enough. When does it end? With Regiment 8th has been good enough. I'm sorry, but I want both Madison and Phantom to be powerhouses again. 8th is not good enough for me with either any more.

I like Regiment's show plenty this year. It's entertaining - more entertaining to me that BK, but I don't think (from a design standpoint) that it will hold up to last year's top 7 and BAC, which puts them 9th.

Edited by henry7184

43 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Madison may end up in 13th place again and for what? Not every corps can be Crown (insert flavor of the Day) due to the ranking / judging system.

Madison may very well end up 13th, but I would rather have them place 13th with a show that fits with modern drum corps than 8th with another show like 2015. If you don't change, you don't grow. There are/may be growing pains, but at least you're moving forward.

47 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I don’t get the throwback comment for this year nor do I get the high school band show (I don’t watch High School bands, so maybe it does). What I did get was their show looked unique compared to all the other corps on the field and that’s a good thing. Because eventually after following the heard, you need to step out of the heard to move up.

When you look at corps like Bluecoats, BD and SCV, who are mastering the integration of electronics into their programs, elevating the usage of props and staging, modernizing their drills, playing a variety of different music genres in their shows, and playing music on the field that hasn't been heard before, Regiment isn't doing any of those things. They are following, not leading (same with a number of corps).