Phantom Regiment 2017

6 hours ago, zachariaswmb said:

Hey henry7184, can you give me a specific show or shows from 1984 that you're referencing in comparison to this year's Regiment visual program? You've said that multiple times, so I assume you have something specific in mind. 

Henry?

9 minutes ago, zachariaswmb said:

Henry?

Sorry I missed you. Sure - watch '83, '84 and '85. They look just like those shows visually, especially '85 - even the uniforms look like the white tops and black paints they work back then. I've also said I liked their drill - problem is I'm not sure the judges will because it is old school and readable. 

Have you seen '85? It is probably my most favorite Regiment show. They were a complete and total bag of poop (I wanted to say the more crass version of poop but it would get **** out) in June. I mean terrible, horrible, horrible in June. On finals night, they were simply sensational. I hope those members are incredibly proud of where they took that show over the course of the season. Extremely difficult musically and visually. It was really remarkable how far they took that show. Just a beast. I often wonder where they would have placed in the '84 corps had done that show.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

I posted a Stanford Review in the review section today.  I had the pleasure of being at the show and was very pleasantly surprised by what I saw from Regiment.  I was prepared for the worst after seeing the scores from Friday & Saturday.  I left with a polar opposite impression and some excitement.  The difficulty is sick - this show is a BEAST.  I didn't see anyone else move AND play at that difficulty for large chunks of the show.  I don't completely understand the slamming in the show thread.  The execution challenges that come from that are hurting the effect.  If you peel back the layers though, there are some moments that had a nice impact and can become great impacts.  Most encouraging to me is the gaps you see between the rep and performance categories.  The rep scores are higher by a wider margin for the most part than most other corps.  That usually means good room to grow from a scoring perspective - and with performance that challenged, the rep scores have equal room to grow.  The last several years was the opposite, we all saw lower Finals placements coming because the performance scores caught the rep scores and even surpassed them.  I'm sure there are individual show exceptions that anyone could find, I'm sure, but I'm confident in the generalization.

More to the point, I really dug the show despite how ragged it is -  and cannot wait to see it grow and develop.  That's a huge departure from the last several years.  A better litmus test than me - 2 of my dearest DC friends, one who marched SCV and the other who marched Star, SCV & BD, both really liked Regiment's show & potential.  It's in the members and teaching staff's hands as to how far they can take this vehicle.  I think it's quite possible they can challenge for 6th.  Equally important, they've re-established the brand with demand that can bode well for 2018 and beyond. 

Go slay this beast, Regiment!

Harvey

• Like 7

Just now, Hrothgar15 said:

Caught a little bit of rehearsal today--already sounding cleaner than last night. My guess is they had a shaky run.

let's hope so

3 minutes ago, Hrothgar15 said:

The second piece they play has definitely been done by a corps before, but I can't quite place it. Anyone know?

SCV in 2005.

1 hour ago, TexasPRfan said:

I posted a Stanford Review in the review section today.  I had the pleasure of being at the show and was very pleasantly surprised by what I saw from Regiment.  I was prepared for the worst after seeing the scores from Friday & Saturday.  I left with a polar opposite impression and some excitement.  The difficulty is sick - this show is a BEAST.  I didn't see anyone else move AND play at that difficulty for large chunks of the show.  I don't completely understand the slamming in the show thread.  The execution challenges that come from that are hurting the effect.  If you peel back the layers though, there are some moments that had a nice impact and can become great impacts.  Most encouraging to me is the gaps you see between the rep and performance categories.  The rep scores are higher by a wider margin for the most part than most other corps.  That usually means good room to grow from a scoring perspective - and with performance that challenged, the rep scores have equal room to grow.  The last several years was the opposite, we all saw lower Finals placements coming because the performance scores caught the rep scores and even surpassed them.  I'm sure there are individual show exceptions that anyone could find, I'm sure, but I'm confident in the generalization.

More to the point, I really dug the show despite how ragged it is -  and cannot wait to see it grow and develop.  That's a huge departure from the last several years.  A better litmus test than me - 2 of my dearest DC friends, one who marched SCV and the other who marched Star, SCV & BD, both really liked Regiment's show & potential.  It's in the members and teaching staff's hands as to how far they can take this vehicle.  I think it's quite possible they can challenge for 6th.  Equally important, they've re-established the brand with demand that can bode well for 2018 and beyond. 

Go slay this beast, Regiment!

Harvey

Yea for you saying all this so very, very well!  I figured that having lost most of their veteran horn line this year, this would be a rebuilding year.  Well, if this is a rebuilding year, they are using titanium building blocks because musically it is great!  Ragged, yes, but it's early and probably the horn line is young.  But did you hear the tubas?  Holy cow, those guys can play!  And a gorgeous, melancholy solo.  Just so wonderfully musically rich.  I can't believe everyone is picking them apart.  Hang in there Phantom Regiment - I am looking forward to how this show is going to grow and mature. 

• Like 3