What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

This show design is not my cup of Java:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

land lubbing percussionists, those slackers.    and the guard is a no-show,  But might beat pickleball.

love the guy playing trombone with one hand and steering with the other. 

Didn't Blue Stars venture into something like this ...?

13 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Didn't Blue Stars venture into something like this ...?

Yes, only somewhat though. They took a Tour, then at season's end, a Detour. ( I actually liked that Blue Stars show however )

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, corpsband said:

not sure I'd call that show "Sully's"  -- the show was the brainchild of another "personality".  Sully certainly did with it what he could :-/

i think what bothered me (and perhaps others) the most was the obvious talent on the field being saddled with that concept.  it happens  i guess -- it was certainly a "let's try this" kind of thing.   Cadets trying something "new" never bothered me too much -- even if they missed on this one.  

One thing I'll give props to in that 2008 show... the vocals were much improved, from an audio-quality standpoint, over 2007.

Using the voice actors hidden behind the screens in '08 was a big step up from using the marching members in '07, IMO.  Those out-of-breath, overmodulated, pitchy, tin-can vocals in '07... yikes.  LOL

22 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, I can't unsee that!  Horrible. 

There are plenty of examples, but that one is the most egregious in my opinion.  The awful part is that I remember people calling me out for being critical.  They would argue that it was a classy way of paying tribute to what that part of the show represented, while I argued the opposite, that the amateurish/insincere/over-the-top acting actually diminished the intent and did nothing in the way of paying tribute to the most devastating moment in recent US history.

Ever since then, whenever I see over-the-top acting in Drum Corps I feel like an old man, because it's the only time that I actually find myself saying "let's just stick to Drum Corps..."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I remember in 2002, DCA's Empire Statesmen had two guys from a Dutch bicycle band in their ranks... cycling around the field playing sopranos (pretty sure this was a year before trumpets were legal in DCA)  and generally creating mayhem during the "Officer Krupke" segment of their West Side Story selections that year.

Over the top, sure... heck, "over the top" was the Statesmen's calling card... but kinda cool, actually, the way they were used that year.

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I will never figure out, in a show whose centerpiece was a "National Public Radio" interview.... why was the "interview" done on a TV-show set, rather than a radio studio set. 

I worked in radio news/public affairs for several years... never did an interview on a set like that.  :tongue:

Also could not quite figure out why the "interview" looked more like a guy coming home from work, hanging up his suit coat, and sitting down with his significant other for a cup of coffee or something. LOL

I agree... a poorly-executed show concept, overall.

I called it the Sally Jessy Raphael show.  Definitely not my favorite...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

One thing I'll give props to in that 2008 show... the vocals were much improved, from an audio-quality standpoint, over 2007.

Using the voice actors hidden behind the screens in '08 was a big step up from using the marching members in '07, IMO.  Those out-of-breath, overmodulated, pitchy, tin-can vocals in '07... yikes.  LOL

Agreed. At least they realized and improved on the vocal front from 2007 going forward. 

There is something about Guards that hit the ground, do a 180 degree roll over like Fido, then get up and run to another dot, that needs to be given a rest as a marcher move, imo. Enough of the roll overs on the ground. It adds nothing to 90% of the themes, imo.. and anybody can hit the ground, roll over and get up. Heck, even I have sometimes done this move getting out of bed in the morning.