WHY SO SECRETIVE ON SHOWS ???

24 minutes ago, ouooga said:

Hey, we still have lots to talk about. We can discuss Unpopular Opinions, or What Show Design Tropes Make Us Cringe, or The Music Corps Should Do....

If we had the show music, themes, like we used to have to discuss on here, ouooga, then we'd have dozens of more daily posters on here, and dozens of more pages on those themes, music we could now be discussing. The threads on " unpopular opinions " and " music Corps should do "... and... " what show design tropes make us cringe " arn't exactly bringing in the fan traffic in the off season that DCP used to have on here. Neither are any of the other sites devoted to current goings on with the Corps either. We used to have lots of traffic on here on DCP, but fans have drifted away in the off season, once they learned that most of the WC Corps have decided to distance themselves from the fans in the off season. My hunch some ( but by no means all ) of the fans will come out of the caves when the Corps come out of theirs, and we'll have decent traffic on here for the summer, as we'll have something current and real to discuss. Until then, its a discussion on " unpopular opinions " and the like that we are reduced to on here now for 42 out of the 52 weeks in the off season.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

Can you imagine how defeated they would have been if the Internet was provided the opportunity to determine the impact of these design elements before they were given the opportunity to be proven in action?

Nope. First off, the judges don't care a wit about what anybody else thinks of a show and its design. So we can rule out in its entirety that off season silence ( or free flow ) of Corps info has any effect on scores and placements.  It has none. Period. Secondly, you mentioned the Cadets. As recently as 2011, the Cadets gave fans lots and lots of off season info.. including early release of music and themes. In early May, the Cadets gave a full show music standstill and put it up live for fans across the country to watch. Was the show received well ? Not really. If anything, at best, it got mixed reviews, as fans discussed it here and elsewhere. Were the marchers in Cadets negatively effected by the lukewarm reaction to the off season airing of the entire music and its playing ? Heck no. We know this for a fact ? Yup.  How ? Because the Cadets marchers went out and won themselves a DCI Title with the show.. AND... once the visuals/ guard was added to the show, the Cadets 2011 show was very well received by audiences in 2011 as well. Finally, the most dominant Corps in DCI are the Blue Devils. Hardly an off season goes by when they get very little favorable ink  from the national fan base, either here on DCP, or elsewhere. Whether BD goes silent in the off season or talks like a singing bird, is immaterial. Their marchers are never effected by what others think of them. They have won titles with tepid audience responses, as well as years when audiences loved their shows. So no, imo, there is no competitive advantage, nor disadvantage, to the level of info Corps provide to its fans, and marchers performance levels in the summer are not effected by either pro hype, nor negative talk on info that might be released in the off season. There is a mountain of historical evidence to demonstrate that what info Corps release in the off season has no effect on marchers, nor judges, nor scores, nor placements, nor how how their show will ultimately be received by the fans that season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

would want to see evidence of this before buying it.

Look below... you have more fingers than the numbers of current visitors to the DCI forum discussion. If we go back just a few short years ago, we had lots of detail on music and themes to discuss here by the end of April. Thus on this date and time, we'd have at least 5 times more visitors on here, and more discussions on the music, themes, for the summer accounting for the higher draw of traffic to the site, imo

Edited by BRASSO

I'm sure the number one priority for member corps when talking about releasing information is "When can we do this so that DCP will have stuff to talk about on the internet?  Man I bet those people are getting tired of not having anything to discuss..."

Edited by drummer5485

I think the reason why some corps announce early and others later depends on the corps and the show and it can. Are from year to year. Prior to the Internet, if we had show announcements at all, we had to wait until Drum Corps World or Drum Corps News arrived in the mail and since they were monthly during the off season, we probably heard all the corps that  were going to announce at the same time. Today where it is easier to get information out, it seems more staggered.

Personally, I like knowing what will be done but I do not need to know until June. Many times I think a show will be a disaster when I hear an announcement and wonder how it will work. Then I see the show and am pleasantly surprised. This is probably why no corps has ever sought my opinion, or asked me to design a show or arrange the music.

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I think the reason why some corps announce early and others later depends on the corps and the show and it can. Are from year to year. Prior to the Internet, if we had show announcements at all, we had to wait until Drum Corps World or Drum Corps News arrived in the mail and since they were monthly during the off season, we probably heard all the corps that  were going to announce at the same time. Today where it is easier to get information out, it seems more staggered.

Personally, I like knowing what will be done but I do not need to know until June. Many times I think a show will be a disaster when I hear an announcement and wonder how it will work. Then I see the show and am pleasantly surprised. This is probably why no corps has ever sought my opinion, or asked me to design a show or arrange the music.

Be at the ready.

Cadets may be seeking a technical consultant once it is finalized whether they will be using Roman Ritual, Novus Ordo, Missa Brevis, or Hopkinsian Eastern Rite Book of Uncommon Prayer..

17 minutes ago, drummer5485 said:

I'm sure the number one priority for member corps when talking about releasing information is "When can we do this so that DCP will have stuff to talk about on the internet?  Man I bet those people are getting tired of not having anything to discuss..."

Even the Corps Directors and all thew staffers don't visit here with the frequency they used too. They were busy back then too though.

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Even the Corps Directors and all thew staffers don't visit here with the frequency they used too. They were busy back then too though.

They have so embraced this licensing and copy rights thing that now they charge for guest appearances.