WHY SO SECRETIVE ON SHOWS ???

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Look below... you have more fingers than the numbers of current visitors to the DCI forum discussion. If we go back just a few short years ago, we had lots of detail on music and themes to discuss here by the end of April. Thus on this date and time, we'd have at least 5 times more visitors on here, and more discussions on the music, themes, for the summer accounting for the higher draw of traffic to the site, imo

To be fair, message boards and dedicated websites are on the tail end of their time in the sun. The DCP Facebook Page has a little more discussion, and it helps that the content literally "just shows up" in my newsfeed v. this medium where I have to actively seek it out. Drum corps Reddit page also has good discussions (though a predominantly younger audience, a lot of CMMs on there), and I'm seeing a few brands literally using subreddits for the purpose that message boards once had.

My point being that maybe looking at DCP user frequency as an indicator for interest in drum corps discussion is analogous with Blockbuster looking at their sales numbers in the final year and simply concluding that people just don't like movies anymore.

25 minutes ago, ouooga said:

My point being that maybe looking at DCP user frequency as an indicator for interest in drum corps discussion is analogous with Blockbuster looking at their sales numbers in the final year and simply concluding that people just don't like movies anymore.

The analogy would work if movies did not promote themselves 24-7.  Even when a movie is in production, they have legions of promoters hyping the movie and providing all sorts of specifiic details on the movie. Not only do the Production companies tell us the actors, script, theme. music, they even run out movie trailers on the movie to the public and its done even before they print up the tickets and provide the show times, etc. The movie industry model is far, far removed from the model that the DCI Corps embrace by self actualizing themselves into becoming the 21st century's " Silent Movie " of the Marching Arts realm. Blockbuster advertised their business 24-7 too. The fact their business model failed was principally the result of non responsiveness to the changing marketplace on how the public received their in home movies for viewing. They never were about to conclude that the public did not like movies anymore. As for DCI, I never posited that the public has no interest in discussing the Corps in the off season. I simply stated that the Corps self imposed silence is likewise reflected in the silence we see with the fans in the off season. Facebook has had an INCREASE in the numbers of traffic and sign ups to discuss Corps from BITD on several of their newly created discussion forums, so its not like people are not out there in sufficient numbers to discuss todays current DCI Corps, and the upcoming summer of shows. They are out there still. But todays Corps give them no reason to wade into the waters  to discuss the goings on with the current Corps in the off season. And so naturally.. they don't.

Edited by BRASSO

When you have waited 8 months already, what is 6 more weeks.....as much as I didn't like the wait, the excitement once Bluecoats show was revealed last year was probably the highest I can remember in DCI for the past 20 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

The analogy would work if movies did not promote themselves 24-7.  Even when a movie is in production, they have legions of promoters hyping the movie and providing all sorts of specifiic details on the movie. Not only do the Production companies tell us the actors, script, theme. music, they even run out movie trailers on the movie to the public and its done even before they print up the tickets and provide the show times, etc. The movie industry model is far, far removed from the model that the DCI Corps embrace by self actualizing themselves into becoming the 21st century's " Silent Movie " of the Marching Arts realm. Blockbuster advertised their business 24-7 too. The fact their business model failed was principally the result of non responsiveness to the changing marketplace on how the public received their in home movies for viewing. They never were about to conclude that the public did not like movies anymore. As for DCI, I never posited that the public has no interest in discussing the Corps in the off season. I simply stated that the Corps self imposed silence is likewise reflected in the silence we see with the fans in the off season. Facebook has had an INCREASE in the numbers of traffic and sign ups to discuss Corps from BITD on several of their newly created discussion forums, so its not like people are not out there in sufficient numbers to discuss todays current DCI Corps, and the upcoming summer of shows. They are out there still. But todays Corps give them no reason to wade into the waters  to discuss the goings on with the current Corps in the off season. And so naturally.. they don't.

Unfortunately with Cadets, when they don't put any clips out during the offseason I (unfairly) assume they are hiding the fact that they aren't as talented as normal.  Hopefully not true this year, but I do worry.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cadet93 said:

Unfortunately with Cadets, when they don't put any clips out during the offseason I (unfairly) assume they are hiding the fact that they aren't as talented as normal.  Hopefully not true this year, but I do worry.

The young people I have known who have marched with Cadets who are almost always positive about their experiences claim that buying into the Cadets philosophy trumps talent because talent can be developed, attitude cannot. Of course this is easy to say when you march with a corps that has a history of recruiting and retaining some of the most talented kids in drum corps. Also there were many critiques of Cadets shows in 2014, 2015, and 2016, but talent of members was never mentioned as a reason for less than hoped for placement. 2017 has probably had recruitment challenges. A 6th place finish last year will not help and while I have not heard numbers, my guess is some moved with their instructors, but I am not expecting a disaster. Also GH knows how to use publicity rather well (FB rants, the exception, but they are usually on his personal page, not the corps). We'll see videos when it helps deliver the message he wants delivered.

I think if too much is released before season starts, the early critiques begin. I'm sure judges get wind of music, concept and by early season , they've already seen and heard chunks of show versus the element of surprise at the first show.  By the time Cadets 2016 came out, I'd already seen big chunks of the show multiple times..,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

The young people I have known who have marched with Cadets who are almost always positive about their experiences claim that buying into the Cadets philosophy trumps talent because talent can be developed, attitude cannot. Of course this is easy to say when you march with a corps that has a history of recruiting and retaining some of the most talented kids in drum corps. Also there were many critiques of Cadets shows in 2014, 2015, and 2016, but talent of members was never mentioned as a reason for less than hoped for placement. 2017 has probably had recruitment challenges. A 6th place finish last year will not help and while I have not heard numbers, my guess is some moved with their instructors, but I am not expecting a disaster. Also GH knows how to use publicity rather well (FB rants, the exception, but they are usually on his personal page, not the corps). We'll see videos when it helps deliver the message he wants delivered.

I know percussion had a huge pool of talent to pick from and guard (from George's FB last night) had a record turnout for Cadets. Brass I don't know much except what caption head Drew Shanefield said at a webcast that the line was set and they had the entire show music by feb. They did lose lots of vets but they seemed to fill the ranks and Cadets still draw very talented kids even after a 6th place finish in 2016. Seems the music licensing issue was the real hold up and why we heard nothing. I did see a Jan? camp pic and it was a full brass line for sure.

Edited by Tobias