WHY SO SECRETIVE ON SHOWS ???

23 minutes ago, xandandl said:

At times they make the media's treatment of Sean Spicer look like a sorority's pillow fight.  

The guy holding the news conference today did a nice job.

Edited by Ghost

So this is a new one. Phantoms show "Phantasm" gets announced, not by the corps, but via Rockford's community calendar. Check out the Phantom 17 thread.

This is what happens when nobody plans for this stuff in advance.

Mike

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MikeN said:

So this is a new one. Phantoms show "Phantasm" gets announced, not by the corps, but via Rockford's community calendar. Check out the Phantom 17 thread.

This is what happens when nobody plans for this stuff in advance.

Mike

I can't help but chuckle at the complete perfectness of this, imo... lol!

An elite DCI corps goes into an off season secrecy mode, and the public receives the Corps theme title and the music composers the Corps will draw upon with absolutely no Corps press release and absolutely no public fanfare about it whatsoever before the public gets the info on their 2017 show theme.

Oh, this is starting out as one fine and wonderful day, I must say !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2017 at 4:45 PM, BRASSO said:

No. 'don't believe so, anyway

The audience rarely remembers what is released or not released in the preseason. They remember what is done in the summer. So whatever the corps release or don't release in the preseason is immaterial. Shows will live or die by what is shown in the summer. Theres no getting over that, imo.  No amount of hype, nor secrecy, will have any effect on audiences at all by the time all the Corps busses roll into Indy. Thats how I view the secrecy throughout the preseason anyway. Nobody remembers the secrecy. They remenber only what they saw and heard.. and generally only that at Championships week. Heck, few will recall even the early season shows all these Corps had before the inevitable tweaks and rewrites take place, let alone what they gave us fans in preseason. So no, audiences are not effected by what is shown or not shown in preseason, imo.

Yeah, but all this talk about the effect of winter/spring reveals is about how fans who follow such things can be influenced to perceive what is on the field in the summer.  I don't think anybody would argue that 10 second pre-season clips occupy the mind of the viewer over the show itself in the long run.  The argument that can be made here is that there is (according to some reasonable people) a danger to showing a work-in-progress... especially when it involves an end product that is supposed to be a bit risky or outside of the box.  First impressions... and all that stuff.  People could have just as easily hated Bluecoats 2016 as they loved it (same for something like Crown 2014, which was a high quality show, but perceived rather oddly by many, especially after their early exhibition reveal). A point of view can be easily cemented in the absence of a tangible defense.  If there wasn't some merit to that idea then the media at large would be talking about all sorts of other things rather than Russian influence on an election outcome (as an example)... (No, I have not indicated my political points of view... so please don't anybody try to pretend that I did).

I think that we forget that these groups are mostly wrestling over GE points when it comes to the end.  Sure, we say all kinds of absurd things about how corps X was "so dirty" and corps Y was "clean as Clorox" in comparison... but that is essentially never as true as we try to make it out to be when comparing contenders.  The winner among world class contenders, for the most part, is the group that holds the biggest margin of hype.  We are getting to a point (if we aren't already there, with the number of contenders that we tend to have) where the champion could easily be the group that places 2nd in every caption but GE (which is pretty darn clean).

Again, I think it is completely reasonable to suggest that groups may be playing the top-secret game in order to protect their ideas from pre-judgement of any kind... The way a show is perceived counts for so much in the end.

56 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

.  The argument that can be made here is that there is (according to some reasonable people) a danger to showing a work-in-progress... especially when it involves an end product that is supposed to be a bit risky or outside of the box.  First impressions... and all that stuff. 

Such " reasonable people " are not as " reasonable " on this as they'd like us to believe then, imo

Corps don't have any visuals/ guard clips to show us of the show before move ins. So the show really is " not a work in progress " at this stage of the preseason.( its in the" concept" stage ). Until the Corps takes the music of the show for that season and puts the Visuals/ Guard to it, its only a " concept ", not "a work in progress ". Once move ins take place ( in May with the elite corps ), only then, with the show on the football practice fields, do the shows become a " work in progress ".. and that " work in progress " goes until Championships in August.  The notion of the effect of " first impressions " having any effect on judges, fans, scores or placements, is not persuasive, imo. People's " first impressions" RIGHT NOW are being drawn in many cases on rumors, speculation, incomplete information, wrong information, etc    In the worst case scenario, if a Corps came out and did a " risky show " that most people hated, it would have no bearing whatsoever on that Corps chances of scoring well, as judges don't care a wit about that, and have historically scored shows even as high as 1st with Corps shows that barely generated more than golf claps with audiences all thru the season. And lets face it, if a fan does not like a show they've seen and heard on the field in June, their opinion is not going to change on that show, unless it goes thru lots of changes and rewrites by August ( at which point they won't care about that " first impression " they once had ), Conversely, if a show is a " hit " with a fan on the field in June, its probably still going to be a hit come August. Finally, nothing, not even " licensing concerns " prevents the corps from showing videos of brass technique drills, percussion drills, encore song practice and similar non show, purely innocuous stuff in the offseason. Do we fans even get THAT ? Nope.  Not too much of it anyway from most of the corps now in off season. So the Corps are not making a persuasive nor compelling case for themselves that going into a complete " cone of silence " for approx 40 out of 52 weeks of the year now is doing them, nor fans, much good to warrant such secrecy silliness, imo

Edited by BRASSO

9 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I can't help but chuckle at the complete perfectness of this, imo... lol!

An elite DCI corps goes into an off season secrecy mode, and the public receives the Corps theme title and the music composers the Corps will draw upon with absolutely no Corps press release and absolutely no public fanfare about it whatsoever before the public gets the info on their 2017 show theme.

Oh, this is starting out as one fine and wonderful day, I must say !

Exactly!  I had the same reaction when the composer of the fanfare that BD is using this year tweeted that they are using one of his pieces a month or so back.

Clearly the drum corps "outsiders" don't understand the rules of the Cone of Slience game :)

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

Exactly!  I had the same reaction when the composer of the fanfare that BD is using this year tweeted that they are using one of his pieces a month or so back.

Clearly the drum corps "outsiders" don't understand the rules of the Cone of Slience game :)

It's crystal clear that they don't understand all the buzz around keeping things secret.

9 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Such " reasonable people " are not as " reasonable " on this as they'd like us to believe then, imo

Corps don't have any visuals/ guard clips to show us of the show before move ins. So the show really is " not a work in progress " at this stage of the preseason.( its in the" concept" stage ). Until the Corps takes the music of the show for that season and puts the Visuals/ Guard to it, its only a " concept ", not "a work in progress ". Once move ins take place ( in May with the elite corps ), only then, with the show on the football practice fields, do the shows become a " work in progress ".. and that " work in progress " goes until Championships in August.  The notion of the effect of " first impressions " having any effect on judges, fans, scores or placements, is not persuasive, imo. People's " first impressions" RIGHT NOW are being drawn in many cases on rumors, speculation, incomplete information, wrong information, etc    In the worst case scenario, if a Corps came out and did a " risky show " that most people hated, it would have no bearing whatsoever on that Corps chances of scoring well, as judges don't care a wit about that, and have historically scored shows even as high as 1st with Corps shows that barely generated more than golf claps with audiences all thru the season. And lets face it, if a fan does not like a show they've seen and heard on the field in June, their opinion is not going to change on that show, unless it goes thru lots of changes and rewrites by August ( at which point they won't care about that " first impression " they once had ), Conversely, if a show is a " hit " with a fan on the field in June, its probably still going to be a hit come August. Finally, nothing, not even " licensing concerns " prevents the corps from showing videos of brass technique drills, percussion drills, encore song practice and similar non show, purely innocuous stuff in the offseason. Do we fans even get THAT ? Nope.  Not too much of it anyway from most of the corps now in off season. So the Corps are not making a persuasive nor compelling case for themselves that going into a complete " cone of silence " for approx 40 out of 52 weeks of the year now is doing them, nor fans, much good to warrant such secrecy silliness, imo

You are putting a lot of effort into your disdain for this silence thing. Since when is a concept or incomplete portion not part of the "work-in-progress"?  You are working really hard to create all sorts of definitions to counter something that's pretty straight forward.  When planning, process and practice is left open to interpretation... then interpretation is what you get (and the less that there is to work with, then the more open the interpretation... which may not be good).  That's a truth as old as the common sayings that reflect it.  Your rant about "rumors, speculation, incomplete information, wrong information, etc" demonstrates that you know exactly what I am talking about.  That you seem to be trying to neatly partition and restrict the evidence of the point being made from the point itself is... fascinating... in the least.

Nobody is trying to compel people to like the silence, agree with it, or support those organizations that choose to operate that way.  Some of us are just providing the potential rational behind the decision to keep quiet (as asked for in the original post).  I don't have to fabricate a system of restricted terms and meanings in order to do that.  What's your story?

It seems to me that you simply just don't agree with the practice, the rational, or the effect thereof... I think we all get that.

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

You are putting a lot of effort into your disdain for this silence thing. .

Nah.. it came to me naturally and quite easily, as a matter of fact.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1