Cesario out as Artistic Director

Just now, garfield said:

I'd rather suggest the position is, in fact, the mall manager telling the anchor stores that green shoes don't sell, and green shoes are keeping people away from the mall, so stop selling green shoes.

BD loves green shoes...

eeehhh...

Perhaps you are right... but I think that telling Macy's that green shoes are cramping the style of the mall isn't quite like surveying the financial records and inquiring about profit margins.

The artistic director telling everyone not to get caught up in the esoteric... is pretty general... maybe as general as saying "Green shoes aren't really in anymore".

I think this is descending into a pointless debate, but 'guidance' isn't in itself 'design'.  In that audio cast, he spends the whole time talking about VERY general thematic elements that cover the full spectrum of the visual and musical.

Just now, garfield said:

So, instead of me getting to see what BD can do with green shoes - even if it's uncomfortable for me - DCI's AD says stop showing green shoes because they're making fans uncomfortable and keeping them away from shows.

Where's the creativity in following the rules?  

Where are those voices (I'm looking at you MikeD :-) who say that drum corps should be "anything goes"?

Who agrees that, when the revenue stops coming in because of green shoes, green shoes will no longer be displayed?

I JUST got a great drumcorps show title out of this...

"On the field... presenting his 2017 program...

Reductio Ad Absurdum!

Garfield!!!!!"

:wink:

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

eeehhh...

Perhaps you are right... but I think that telling Macy's that green shoes are cramping the style of the mall isn't quite like surveying the financial records and inquiring about profit margins.

The artistic director telling everyone not to get caught up in the esoteric... is pretty general... maybe as general as saying "Green shoes aren't really in anymore".

I think this is descending into a pointless debate, but 'guidance' isn't in itself 'design'.  In that audio cast, he spends the whole time talking about VERY general thematic elements that cover the full spectrum of the visual and musical.

You are free to call my points anything you'd like, "pointless" or otherwise...

It's not my thread, but it is my opinion.

Both can be closed, I suppose.

Hey!  How about those crazy see-through shakos?!

Just now, garfield said:

You are free to call my points anything you'd like, "pointless" or otherwise...

It's not my thread, but it is my opinion.

Both can be closed, I suppose.

Hey!  How about those crazy see-through shakos?!

WHOA!!!... take it easy.  Didn't mean that at all.

I meant that the debate about a general position is getting too specific.  I am not calling your comments pointless.

Ease up on the gas, my friend.

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

I JUST got a great drumcorps show title out of this...

"On the field... presenting his 2017 program...

Reductio Ad Absurdum!

Garfield!!!!!"

:wink:

And now "Absurdum!".

With sarcasm, and schtick.

Perfect!

Just now, garfield said:

And now "Absurdum!".

With sarcasm, and schtick.

Perfect!

Well... yeah... I meant that one.

Meaning that this really isn't about the prohibition of green shoes.

Edited by cfirwin3

32 minutes ago, garfield said:

So, instead of me getting to see what BD can do with green shoes - even if it's uncomfortable for me - DCI's AD says stop showing green shoes because they're making fans uncomfortable and keeping them away from shows.

Where's the creativity in following the rules?  

Where are those voices (I'm looking at you MikeD :-) who say that drum corps should be "anything goes"?

Who agrees that, when the revenue stops coming in because of green shoes, green shoes will no longer be displayed?

I'm confused. Are you concerned that BD won too many times while Cesario was the artistic director? Or that they did it by abandoning their identity? Or that they didn't win enough? (How long as Cesario in this role again? Three seasons? Four seasons?)

it's been a slow transition over the past 2+ decades from music/marching ensembles to basically dance troops on a football field. it's not a full transition yet, but i'd give it maybe another 5 years before it applies to the majority of top groups.

it would've happened with or without cesario's influence, imo. 

i agree completely that his uniform/costume designs are cookie cutter. no way around that. ironically, the transition to spandex/unitards will probably add a bunch of variety to uniforms/costumes over the next several years. 

the things the OP attributes to cesario are going to increase if anything. legacy fans will either like it, or they won't, but there are a lot of drummantx's out there to replace us. it's a crossroads for people like me, who really don't care at all for WGI or anything like it. there's just enough focus on the things I personally like to keep me going. it might even end up building a strong enough bridge for me and some other dinos to get behind this transition to supersized WGI Winds ensembles.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

i'm not quite clear on what an artistic director is, either.  i think people forget that when we say things like "how will the judges rate __________'s show design", we're talking about specific language in the rubrics that come directly from member corps themselves. 

wouldn't the person DCI calls their artistic director would be the one who, after rule changes and discussions among the BOD every year, can answer questions for any corps about what may or may not get rewarded based on understanding the "pulse" of those winter meetings? 

i'd imagine that the artistic director also advises judges on what and what not to reward, yes?

feel free to clarify anything for me, you wonderful DCI insiders. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm confused. Are you concerned that BD won too many times while Cesario was the artistic director? Or that they did it by abandoning their identity? Or that they didn't win enough? (How long as Cesario in this role again? Three seasons? Four seasons?)

I know nothing of course, but this is how I envision most corps creative directors reacting (privately) to DCI's Artistic Director:

4-bis1.gif

Now, don't get all bent out of shape.  I don't mean to suggest that BD, for example, and their staff don't fully and enthusiastically cooperate with helping to guide the activity and the development of its present and future talent at all levels, from member to staff to business or Board member.  (In BD's case, one only look at their programs).  Every corps has

But suggesting that an AD is going to guide, or set policy, or limit, or direct, or influence those who are, well... it's kind of like...

A fair-haired boy with all of his fingertips walks up to an old, italian mason building a wall and says "I like my mortar joints a little smaller".

Ya' want to know how to influence BD's creative programming, or Cadets' or SCV or Phantom or 'Coats or Academy or PC's?  Change the judging.  

I have nothing against Michael and I honor him for his part in the activity.  I listened enthusiastically to the cast with Dan (the next Brandt) Potter.  But I think it valuable that we, as an activity, retain clarity on who are actually laying bricks and who are standing around talking about mortar joints.

That some directors felt it necessary to gain "permission" or "direction" from the AD to push the boundaries of their creativity doesn't vest the creative direction of the activity into that newly-created position.

(Again, it could be ANY corps, not just BD, that makes the discussion border on silly.)

Now this is getting fun...

:lle:

• Like 1