Cesario out as Artistic Director

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm confused. Are you concerned that BD won too many times while Cesario was the artistic director? Or that they did it by abandoning their identity? Or that they didn't win enough? (How long as Cesario in this role again? Three seasons? Four seasons?)

(I owe you a PM.  Boy, do I love peaches...  :whistle:)

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

Ya' want to know how to influence BD's creative programming, or Cadets' or SCV or Phantom or 'Coats or Academy or PC's?  Change the judging.  

Hey, remind me, what was Michael Cesario's big project for DCI in 2014? Something about rewriting the sheets?

And who had the final say in the DCI judge reviews process? Wasn't it the artistic director?

I guarantee they listened to what he had to say!

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

Ya' want to know how to influence BD's creative programming, or Cadets' or SCV or Phantom or 'Coats or Academy or PC's?  Change the judging.

But didn't they do that? Didn't the sheets get tweaked, and didn't the word go out to the corps and judges that audience engagement needed more consideration? Everyone seems to agree that there's been a shift toward more entertaining shows in recent years, and it seems to have coincided with Cesario's tenure.

Now as to whether Cesario was a driver of that change or just along for the ride, I don't know.

With regard to the actual role of DCI's Artistic Director, DCI posted in 2012:

Spearheaded by DCI Artistic Director Michael J. Cesario, the inner workings of this new judging system—which has been under development for more than two years—have been put together by instructors who make up DCI's Rules and Systems Task Force (RSTF). 

That is about as explicit as you can get that the "Artistic Director" was not just offering guidance and suggestions to the individual corps, but directly shaping the ways in which corps were judged.  

We can all draw our own conclusions as to whether corps are willing to change their direction/behavior in order to seek enhanced recognition by the judges, so I think it safe to say that the role had a lot of impact, indirectly, on how the corps design.

29 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

Hey, remind me, what was Michael Cesario's big project for DCI in 2014? Something about rewriting the sheets?

And who had the final say in the DCI judge reviews process? Wasn't it the artistic director?

I guarantee they listened to what he had to say!

Wha-a-a-a-???

Hmmm.  OK, so it's clear you don't actually need reminded.  But I think you have it backwards...

Your contention is that the AD was guiding the re-write of the sheets in 2014 2012?  That Phillips & Company were "guided" by the AD how to re-write the sheets?

Who, exactly, would the AD would be representing in those discussions (presuming he was actually involved with them)?

Edited by garfield

28 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But didn't they do that? Didn't the sheets get tweaked, and didn't the word go out to the corps and judges that audience engagement needed more consideration? Everyone seems to agree that there's been a shift toward more entertaining shows in recent years, and it seems to have coincided with Cesario's tenure.

Now as to whether Cesario was a driver of that change or just along for the ride, I don't know.

Yes, of course!  It's obvious I'm not being clear.

Did the word "go out to the corps and judges that audience engagement needed more consideration"?

Everyone including me agrees that there's been a shift...("entertaining" is subjective, but I get your point).

It "seems to coincide"...  ahhh, there be the rub, my matie.

Last sentence = DING!

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

It "seems to coincide"...  ahhh, there be the rub, my matie.

Yes, some corps should title their show "Correlation Is Not Causation".

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

Wha-a-a-a-???

Hmmm.  OK, so it's clear you don't actually need reminded.  But I think you have it backwards...

Your contention is that the AD was guiding the re-write of the sheets in 2014 2012?  That Phillips & Company were "guided" by the AD how to re-write the sheets?

Who, exactly, would the AD would be representing in those discussions (presuming he was actually involved with them)?

I don't think anyone other than the direct participants knows whether the AD "spearheaded the effort" (DCI's language) or was just along for the ride (yours). DCI never had an AD before, so why did the corps decide to hire and pay one these last 5 years? I'd guess it's because they agreed that an artistic change was needed and then created a position to lead that change. 

The fact that they've decided to continue the position post-Cesario suggests that the corps think they are getting value from that role.

23 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

How recently did he take over?   So not everyone likes his taste in uniforms.  Who cares?  I had more fun watching drum corps last year from Bluecoats down to Les Stentors than I ever had.   And part of that is what he's talked about over the last few years.  Every corps has a voice.  Every corps has something in their show to get us on our feet.  And IMO he has had a part in that, and for that I'm very grateful to him on what he's done for the activity.  

He always seems incredibly passionate, excited, and just like he loves the activity.  It's so easy to pin blame on him for what we might not like in shows, but when it comes down to it corps themselves made that decision.   

I wish him a happy retirement and all the best.  I'm certainly not gonna trash talk the guy from behind my keyboard as he is finishing up a pretty big part of his life and I imagine he's pretty emotional about this being his last season.  

I hope Mr. Cesario has a great 2017 drum corps season.  

preach brother. I heard him talk about what he's been saying with DCI back in 06 or 07...re-engage the fan, and the last few years DCI top to bottom has taken huge steps in that. Effect is about the full triad again, not just super deep faux intellectual crap. It's ok to make us laugh, cry, even hate. Maybe now, DCI has finally gotten ( back) to what he was preaching...and look at the results the last few years...a few more corps, attendance growth...maybe he's saying "my work here is done".

and if so, I say thanks Michael, because you provided the kick in the ### DCI sorely needed

• Like 5

21 hours ago, garfield said:

I don't miss the sarcasm, and hint of disdain, in Xandandle's commentary, and I admit to feeling a twinge of it myself.   Would the activity be different - better off - without the homogenizing influence of the "Chief Creative"? 

i feel its less homogenized than it was in 2011