Corps member getting kicked out

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

in 1975, the Hawthorne Muchachos (  Hawthorne, N.J )  were reported by another DCI Corps at Championships week for marching an overage marcher all season. Since DCI concluded that the Muchachos did not come forth themselves with that info, they entire Corps essentially was " sent home " by DCI after their Semi Finals performance. They were a top 3 DCI Corps in '75. They were judged at Semi Finals, but their unrevealed scores confiscated and destroyed by DCI, and they were disqualified from Finals participation the following nite. The marchers in the Muchachos sat in the stands and watched Finals, then got on the bus, and sent home.

Wow! Imagine  that happening today. Crown gets booted from finals...

1 hour ago, JKT90 said:

Has anyone heard of any stories like this? 

Yes. And seen. And not discussing. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

in 1975, the Hawthorne Muchachos (  Hawthorne, N.J )  were reported by another DCI Corps at Championships week for marching an overage marcher all season. Since DCI concluded that the Muchachos did not come forth themselves with that info,  and should have known they had an overage marcher, the entire Corps essentially was " sent home " by DCI after their Semi Finals performance. They were a top 3 DCI Corps in '75. They were judged at Semi Finals, but their unrevealed scores confiscated and destroyed by DCI, and they were disqualified from Finals participation the following nite. The marchers in the Muchachos sat in the stands and watched Finals, then got on the bus, and sent home.

And two years later when muchachos staff and top talent migrated to Bridgemen, same thing happened. A top 2 DCI corps outed by Phantom. They did exhibition at finals and a closed score (4th place) noted but were probably 2 if the shenanigans didn't occur. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

in 1975, the Hawthorne Muchachos (  Hawthorne, N.J )  were reported by another DCI Corps at Championships week for marching an overage marcher all season. Since DCI concluded that the Muchachos did not come forth themselves with that info,  and should have known they had an overage marcher, the entire Corps essentially was " sent home " by DCI after their Semi Finals performance. They were a top 3 DCI Corps in '75. They were judged at Semi Finals, but their unrevealed scores confiscated and destroyed by DCI, and they were disqualified from Finals participation the following nite. The marchers in the Muchachos sat in the stands and watched Finals, then got on the bus, and sent home.

The Facebook 1970's drum corps group has a grainy video of Hawthorne performing at a local show in Hershey PA on 8/17/75, the day after finals...must have been an extremely emotional time for the members.

• Like 2

Ironically, many, if not most, of the top Corps in the 60's and the early years of DCI in the US marched overage marchers. The " sin " was getting caught. In even Canada for example, you could legally march over age 21  in Junior Corps in their Canadian Circuits if your Corps was afiliated with a school. Quite a few then marched over age 21, especially with the University afililiated Corps in Canada ( some here know at least one Corps I'm referring too here, too ). . Well, when DCI was formed in '72, many of these Canadian Corps joined DCI. They then competed in both their Canadian Circuit's Championships, as well as DCI's Championships. Anyone that thinks that these Canadian Corps took all their overage marchers out of their ranks when they came to the US to compete, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell them as prized beachfront property... haha!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Ironically, most of the top Corps in the 60's and the early years of DCI marched overage marchers. The " sin " was getting caught. In Canada, you could march Junior Corps in their Canadian Circuits if your Corps was afiliated with a school.  Students could over 21, but allowed to march in that school's Corps in Canada ( some here know what Corps I'm referring too here, too ). So these Corps could march in the Canadian Circuit Championships. Well, when DCI was formed in '72, many of these Corps joined DCI. They then competed in both their Canadian Circuit's Championships, as well as DCI's Championships. Anyone that thinks that these Canadian Corps took their overage marchers out of their ranks when they came to the US to compete, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell them as prized beachfront property... haha!

Totally agree with your post.  I had forgot about the Canadian corps age issues.  

It was long rumored that most drum & bugle corps of the 60s and 70s were using a few overage kids.  In a few instances there were corps using more than a few.  That was supposedly the rumor with Muchachos. The urban legend, if you will, is that they had more than just a few overage kids. DCI found out they knew about it but did not report when they learned.  There was a rumor that DCI felt Muchachos chose to ignore the age restrictions and tried to get away with the crime.  This is why they were sent packing.  Again, I have no idea, but this was one of the long-held rumors.

In the case of Santa Clara in 1989, they did not discover the overage Brits until late in the season (might have been finals week, after quarters I think). SCV, from what I am told, did offer proof to DCI that they didn't know. I believe they showed DCI the copies of the licenses/ID they were given. So there was no disqualification, and SCV would go on to win the DCI Championship. 

Sadly, the rule that allows 22 year old marchers was not around until maybe in the 90s (I forget). 

I have never heard that Blue Devil rumor before...about the kid they supposedly kicked out before Finals, and then he snuck into the field and still marched finals. That's wild. 

I'm sure there are many kids over the years who have been sent packing for all kinds of things. Drugs, alcohol, bad behavior, sexual misconduct, fighting, etc.  

Edited by jwillis35

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I'm sure there are many kids over the years who have been sent packing for all kinds of things. Drugs, alcohol, bad behavior, sexual misconduct, fighting, etc.  

staffers too. In any large competitive endeavor, involving literally thousands of participants, it is going to happen from time to time that people have been found to have broken the rules and must be sent packing as a consequence.

Edited by BRASSO

37 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

It was long rumored that most drum & bugle corps of the 60s and 70s were using a few overage kids.  In a few instances there were corps using more than a few.

In my Garfield years (70-72) we were actually quite a young corps. We would go to shows and see how old some of the members looked in other corps and make jokes about the members' wives and kids coming to shows to provide them support!  :bored:

Edit: At that time, it was not Hawthorne

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MikeD said:

In my Garfield years (70-72) we were actually quite a young corps. We would go to shows and see how old some of the members looked in other corps and make jokes about the members' wives and kids coming to shows to provide them support!  :bored:

Edit: At that time, it was not Hawthorne

Interesting.  When I first started attending shows, I used to hear rumors about Madison all the time. Never really believed it, but there were many who joked about the age of their lead sops and contras and how they should have been home working to feed their families.  Most of these jokes, I am sure, were just people having fun with rumors.