Corps member getting kicked out

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

In my Garfield years (70-72) we were actually quite a young corps. We would go to shows and see how old some of the members looked in other corps and make jokes about the members' wives and kids coming to shows to provide them support!  :bored:

Edit: At that time, it was not Hawthorne

The local-circuit junior corps I was with in the 1970s had at least one overage member, at least one year I was there.

Didn't help us much in the standings.  LOL.

• Like 2

A bus driver was sent home when I was with a corps.  I guess he was drinking while during the competition.

We can only imagine the horror/panic that many senior corps went through back in the 1940s and 1950s, when, on the inspection line, members were dismissed for not being "card-carrying" members of the American Legion or VFW.  Those corps had to perform with as many as one-third of its members missing.

Edit:

This was prior to the ruling that a certain percentage of membership would be allowed to march, even if they weren't Legion or VFW members.

Edited by Northern Thunder
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ghost said:

1967 American Legion Nationals  Boston Crusaders won the prelims with a 87.833.  Chicago Cavaliers were fourth at 84.000.  Before finals, someone dimed out (only $.10 to make a phone booth call then) the Crusaders for an overage tenor drummer.  Finals had Cavies 1st with a 83.433 and Boston 2nd with a 83.000.  The next major "contest" was the CYO Nationals a few days later.  Boston's manager Joe Dowling said to a few folks he was really concerned how the corps would act if they lost the CYO.  1st was Boston at 88.08 and the Cavies at 84.83.

At the finals that BRASSO mentioned about the Muchachos, their great soprano soloist Jeff Kievit (who might still be playing on Broadway) played a short rendition of a solo (I believe) that he played in their routine.  You could hear it on the NPR broadcast.

Yes... in '75... from outside the stadium, those inside the stadium, heard the disqualified Muchachos  soprano soloist Jeff Kievet play a solo, but not the solo he would have played in the show. It was just a few notes he played of the Cabs " Entrance of the Bulls " signature piece from outside the stadium.. ( or in an entrance corridor inside the stadium but out of sight of anyone in the stands ). Lots and lots of applause he got with that inside the stadium when it was heard... well, at least from the East Coast fans in attendance anyway... haha!... 

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

In the several years I marched DCI, I recall two instances of people getting sent home:

I won't go into details for the first instances, but the other was a hole-filler who just really, really, really sucked and had the worst attitude of any person I had ever dealt with in drum corps. The director paid for the dude's plane ticket and thanked him for his time.

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

In my Garfield years (70-72) we were actually quite a young corps. We would go to shows and see how old some of the members looked in other corps and make jokes about the members' wives and kids coming to shows to provide them support!  :bored:

Edit: At that time, it was not Hawthorne

I marched in the hornline with one guy in Norwood that I have no idea how old he was.  But I do know he was way over 21.  Weren't trying to hide it either.  He played solos.  

• Like 1

This topic brings a couple of questions to mind. In 89, SCV found out and reported to DCI the overage members. Suppose SCV hadn't found out, and several years later DCI would have somehow discovered the oversight or gotten information regarding the members, would they then revoke their title?

Also, if you knew for fact that a corps in the past  5 years had marched an overage member without knowing it, meaning the member somehow had fake paperwork, would you report it to DCI or just ignore it? And if you did report it, does anyone have any idea how DCI would handle the situation? I have to say I do not think I would report it, unless I really thought the corps knew and let it slide or covered it up. But I would have a hard time tarnishing an entire summer for 149 other kids and staff members, over something they were honestly unaware of, and tried to prevent when they check out everyone's documents before the season begins. As a teacher, we all hear about students who look like their older sibling and are able to use their id to get into bars underage, what is to stop someone from using their younger siblings id to get a couple of years or marching in? I have had students who look so much like their older sibling that I want to call them by that name(and have on several occasions). It is sad to see how many people could suffer for the inconsideration and unethical behavior of one individual.

41 minutes ago, Ghost said:

At the finals that BRASSO mentioned about the Muchachos, their great soprano soloist Jeff Kievit (who might still be playing on Broadway) played a short rendition of a solo (I believe) that he played in their routine.  You could hear it on the NPR broadcast.

Looks like Jeff has been most recently playing touring companies of Broadway musicals in Florida, from perusing his website.

• Like 1