Corps member getting kicked out

20 hours ago, BRASSO said:

In even Canada for example, you could legally march over age 21  in Junior Corps in their Canadian Circuits if your Corps was afiliated with a school. Quite a few then marched over age 21, especially with the University afililiated Corps in Canada ( some here know at least one Corps I'm referring too here, too ). . Well, when DCI was formed in '72, many of these Canadian Corps joined DCI. 

Not in 1972.  The only Canadian corps at the 1972 DCI Championship was De La Salle Oaklands.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

Not sure what documentation DCI requires for proof of age these days, but back in the 80s, each corps was required to independently acquire certified birth certificates from the state where each member was born. No, the member couldn't turn in their own copy of their birth certificates; each corps was required to order them themselves from the state department of vital records. And each corps was required to have those certified birth certificates physically with them on the road, and DCI could request to see the at any time. I don't recall DCI ever asking to see ours, but they kept on one of the buses just in case.

I am not sure of what DCI requires for age verification today, but for employment purposes a government issued ID such as a passport, driver's license, or military ID is sufficient. For non citizens a work visa along with a passport and back up documents (birth certificate, baptismal record, school ID, etc.) is required because if it is discovered a person is underage for a job, the employer can be held liable. Granted that is to protect children from being exploited as migrant farmers and from sex trafficking, and not for a DCI corps to prove eligibility, but that is what the law requires. 

Having birth certificates on file is not a bad idea, and if DCI requires it, fine, but in our electronic age with identity theft a reality, some municipalities will not issue certified birth certificates to anyone but the person named if someone is over 18 and parents if it is someone under 18. You would also still need a government issued ID to establish identity for legal purposes.

So, a Muchachos in 75, Bridgemen in 76, or SCV foreign born marchers in 89 probably would not happen today, and if it did, a corps could not claim ignorance.

6 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

was one of hundreds who cheered that.Entrance of the Bulls .If i recall many Booed the Cavies as they entered the field that night,

For the record, I did not boo.... ( haha!). I assume you did not either. I've never booed at a Drum Corps show, not even the judges scores.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:52 AM, Chief Guns said:

Sadly i think something happened finals day with 2000 BD. Think a bass player was caught with drugs and sent home. But later that evening after BD had left to take the field for their finals run, he grabbed his uniform and drum, ran onto the field before anyone could stop him. He was immediately arrested afterward and didn't take part in retreat. Please don't quote me on all that as i may have missed something or said something false. Maybe someone who was there has more accurate info. 

:63_astonished:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Well, remember Boo marched Cavies that year and so his view of events comes through that lens and Delucia was so invested with his corps and his amazing drum line. It is hard to conceive their perspectives could be the same. That makes the two of them human.

Oh I know.  If anyone thought I was implying anything bad about either individual, I assure you that was not my intention.

That's part of what makes it interesting to me, that two good, credible people can see things so differently.  It is perhaps a lesson that we might apply to a lot of other issues in a world where people so readily think the worst of anyone with a different viewpoint.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Not in 1972.  The only Canadian corps at the 1972 DCI Championship was De La Salle Oaklands.

True. '72 was the start up season, and transitional at DCI. Even in the early 70's ( after '72) there were both US and Canadian Corps marching overage members. Quite a few of them too. Some unknowingly, but quite a few, knowingly. Lots of people looked the other way with it back then. Its just the way it was. For context, lots of Corps were losing marchers right out of line due to the new initiation of the military draft in the US, and needed to fill ranks, retain numbers. Draft was 2 years. Some Corps had drafted marchers drafted at 18-19.. serve 2 years, but allowed back in line when they finished 2 years of the military service ( US ). It was only 3 US eastern Corps however that have been sanctioned for the use of overage marchers... Muchachos, Crossmen ( from Pa. at the time ), Bridgemen. SCV was not sanctioned, nor penalized for their use of overage marchers all season in '89 because DCI concluded that unlike the other Corps, they reported the illegality to DCI themselves. They were not reported by another Corps, and SCV sent their overage marchers home after Semi's at Championships.

Edited by BRASSO

If you stop and analyze this thread, we only have a handful of stories about people being asked to leave a corps during a season, and only a few are for behavior. Do people realize how rare this is? Just about any other activity involving young people between 16 and 22 has horror stories of drug use, alcohol abuse, belligerence, leaving sites without permission, unwanted sexual advances, etc. This says something about the kids involved in drum corps and those who recruit and select them. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

l was staying at the Hilton in 75 when all this went down with Muchacho\s .As i recall it was a Cavie that turned in a dropped wallet on the field that showed the guy was over age .During a meeting DCI was told 3-5 corps had over age members .All in finals ,if they took action on all they had no contest.So it was decieded to make an to use Muchachos to as a warning to all the corps ,From what i over heard in the dining room Muchacho\s had won prelums.That was stated at the table of judges eating there. 

there were holes in other corps finals night

l was staying at the Hilton in 75 when all this went down with Muchacho\s .As i recall it was a Cavie that turned in a dropped wallet on the field that showed the guy was over age .During a meeting DCI was told 3-5 corps had over age members .All in finals ,if they took action on all they had no contest.So it was decieded to make an to use Muchachos to as a warning to all the corps ,From what i over heard in the dining room Muchacho\s had won prelums.That was stated at the table of judges eating there. 

Not accurate.

A member of Cavaliers' management team has the inside scoop (and Muchachos' score was never tabulated - read the whole thread following that post and he chases down further details).

Edited by Slingerland

.As i recall it was a Cavie that turned in a dropped wallet on the field that showed the guy was over age . 

It was well known in many quarters back then... even to Cavaliers themselves... that the Muchachos were marching overage marcher(s). Michael Boo ( marcher in the Cavs at the time ) even personally knew one of the Muchachos marchers that was overage and knew so as way back as early as the preseason, or at the latest, certainly back in the early competition season of '75.

Edited by BRASSO