Beef with Scoring

3 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

So I got a problem. And it's really petty and I know it, so don't tell me it's petty because I already know I'm being petty, BUT. Equivalence of certain scores is not equivalent. For example, Bluecoats on opening night received just above a 72. On Sunday, Mandarins received a 71.000. Now I know this is being petty but there is no way that Mandarins on Sunday were near as clean as the Bluecoats were on opening night, and that's just my issue. Maybe judges need to start the better corps off higher earlier or have there be more disparity between groups, but this is a major discrepancy that I see. I have nothing against the Mandarins, they've been one of my favorite lower world class groups and their show this year has really started to grow on me this summer, they were just used as an example. Am I making a clear, fair point?

I totally understand this. Honestly, I don't believe many corps at finals (maybe 10th place and lower) will perform then at the level SCV, BD and Crown are right now. Bloo too. I've always thought about this, and I'm not sure what the answer is. But I think a June BD (1st show BD) could beat a finalist 12th place corps. 

3 hours ago, Ediker said:

There are things happening today that were once deemed unrealistic. The activity has evolved to stay alive.  The activity would move in that direction if there were enough pressure from influential corps who felt "boxed in" and underscored by the current system. An open ended system would provide more meaning to the scores when compared across competitions or time periods. The ranking of corps is inherent to the current system, making comparisons outside a given show less meaningful. The current system can't really convey, by number, the difference we all recognize between Blue Coats' past 72.3 and Mandarins' current 71.0.

But there are unintended consequences to what you are proposing. I don't want to see shows become an exercise in how many compulsories we can jam into an 11 minute show.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

But there are unintended consequences to what you are proposing. I don't want to see shows become an exercise in how many compulsories we can jam into an 11 minute show.

Absolutely true, and I'm not proposing that it change.

• Like 1

"Point spreads within individual captions, as opposed to strict ordinal numbers, do actually effect overall ranking outcome when everything is all added together."

That's "affect" in this context because it is the verb form, not "effect"; "effect" would be correct if preceded by the words "have an". 

Edited by TRacer

51 minutes ago, TRacer said:

That's "affect" in this context because it is the verb form, not "effect"; "effect" would be correct if preceded by the words "have an".

Really?  I mean Really?

For me, I am rather forgiving to someone who is quickly typing in a blog or a chatroom as opposed to constructing a formal contract or academic assignment.  Here are a few examples where I would forgive someone posting on DCP:

Affect/Effect, Accept/Except, Adviser/Advisor, Affluence/Effluence, Alliterate/Illiterate, All Right/Alright, Altar/Alter, Any One/Anyone, Arrant/ Errant, Bare/Bear, Blonde/Blond, Briton/Brittan, Caramel/Carmel, Censor/Censure, Clench/Clinch, Decent/Descent, Demure/Demur, Discreet/Discrete, Disinterested/Uninterested, Eminent/Imminent/Immanent, Every One/Everyone, Fair/Fare, Faun/Fawn, Flak/Flack, For/Fore/Four, Forego/Forgo, Fowl/Foul, Gibe/Jibe, Good-by/Goodbye, Grey/Gray, Grill/Grille, Grisly/Grizzly, Hangar/Hanger, Incidence/Incidents,….. Need I go on? The alphabet goes to 'Z' and there are a plethora more examples,

Edited by Stu

9 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

So I got a problem. And it's really petty and I know it, so don't tell me it's petty because I already know I'm being petty, BUT. Equivalence of certain scores is not equivalent. For example, Bluecoats on opening night received just above a 72. On Sunday, Mandarins received a 71.000. Now I know this is being petty but there is no way that Mandarins on Sunday were near as clean as the Bluecoats were on opening night, and that's just my issue. Maybe judges need to start the better corps off higher earlier or have there be more disparity between groups, but this is a major discrepancy that I see. I have nothing against the Mandarins, they've been one of my favorite lower world class groups and their show this year has really started to grow on me this summer, they were just used as an example. Am I making a clear, fair point?

yes but it shows a lack of understanding of the sheets and the criteria.

• Like 2