Great flashy drill needs to make a comeback.

Just pointing out that in the Cavaliers clip shown in the first post, that the brass isn't playing.

That's not a complaint, just an observation.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I'm finding a ton to like drill wise this year.  

• Santa Clara Vanguards whole show needs no explanation........the building block into that fake hit in the ballad is my favorite visual moment of the year.  
  • I really like Bluecoats drill this year, the FTL under the stage stuff is very cool, and the low brass sprinting down that ramp at the end is pretty dang fun to watch.  
  • Carolina Crown has some great Sacktig moments.  
  • Cavaliers whole visual program is INCREDIBLY fun to watch, especially from up high.  The end of Little Green Men right before the ballad is insane, that's about as run and gun as I've seen in recent years.  
  • Boston Crusaders has incredible clarity, the part leading into the ballad is super fun to watch.  
  • Phantom Regiments visual program is actually pretty fantastic to watch, very traditional overall with some modern touches.  Some incredibly beautiful sets and sequences.  
  • Blue Stars whole show.  
  • Mandarins Rorschach test drill throughout the show is really cool.  
  • Pacific Crest has some really cool moments.  
  • Genesis's drill is incredibly difficult and incredibly fun to watch.  
  • Legends show had some very exciting high velocity moments in the 2nd production and closer.  

I can say a lot more about drill this year than most years.  

I agree on every point you make.  My one over riding factor this year, and maybe it's just me, is that I'm less than impressed with the winds drill that BD is putting out.  Other than the warm up tag at the beginning, which I love, being a huge chunk of Chuck Mangiones "Legend of a One Eyed Sailor" and snippets from several old time favorites like "Dindi", "Pegasus", "Channel One Suite", "T.O." , among other favorites, they really do just above nothing.  A lot of Freeform drill, walking out of time to the music to get in place, several block forms, each done in angles or flexed to not quite look like blocks, plenty of FTL, some jumping around and that's it.  There is no difficulty whatsoever and there is plenty of park and bark at which most of it is stand in place, no planned movement at all.  Great horn line, great guard drill - opposite of the winds - and even plenty of movement with the percussion.  I can't understand the scoring going on in GE or visual.  I'm stunned by people who tell me it's the greatest show BD has ever done, because right now I'm not impressed in that area at all and I've watched every show available.  I'm not a BD hater, they are the classiest organization in DCI.  No one can touch their approach to each season, nor can anyone approach they way they go about things.  It's magnificent what they have done and they will probably never finish outside the medals for who knows how long and they are always a veteran corps because of their set up.  It's a family organization that every corps should be trying to replicate in so many ways because it would provide stability to organizations that need it.  But this show doesn't make sense to me, especially considering the past 6 of really incredible show ideas and productions!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Vdad76 said:

I agree on every point you make.  My one over riding factor this year, and maybe it's just me, is that I'm less than impressed with the winds drill that BD is putting out.  Other than the warm up tag at the beginning, which I love, being a huge chunk of Chuck Mangiones "Legend of a One Eyed Sailor" and snippets from several old time favorites like "Dindi", "Pegasus", "Channel One Suite", "T.O." , among other favorites, they really do just above nothing.  A lot of Freeform drill, walking out of time to the music to get in place, several block forms, each done in angles or flexed to not quite look like blocks, plenty of FTL, some jumping around and that's it.  There is no difficulty whatsoever and there is plenty of park and bark at which most of it is stand in place, no planned movement at all.  Great horn line, great guard drill - opposite of the winds - and even plenty of movement with the percussion.  I can't understand the scoring going on in GE or visual.  I'm stunned by people who tell me it's the greatest show BD has ever done, because right now I'm not impressed in that area at all and I've watched every show available.  I'm not a BD hater, they are the classiest organization in DCI.  No one can touch their approach to each season, nor can anyone approach they way they go about things.  It's magnificent what they have done and they will probably never finish outside the medals for who knows how long and they are always a veteran corps because of their set up.  It's a family organization that every corps should be trying to replicate in so many ways because it would provide stability to organizations that need it.  But this show doesn't make sense to me, especially considering the past 6 of really incredible show ideas and productions!

I agree with that sentiment about Blue Devils visual program greatly this year.  And I loved what they put out the last three seasons and greatly respects but didn't necessarily enjoy the visual programs of 2009 - 2013.  I haven't said anything because I know I'll be lumped in with the Blue Devils haters even though I was a huge advocate the last three seasons, their ballad last year was some of the absolute best drill I have EVER seen.   It was perfection.

I am not necessarily speaking to difficulty/effectiveness but I do know if I had to pick 12 shows to watch from up high with no music in they wouldn't be one of them.  

I guess lets see where they take it, they're obviously not done layering but I'm not sure if a lot of the "drill" is gonna change on a large scale.    

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 5

I do like the drill SCV puts out every year.  They are one of my favorite corps to watch drill wise.   I think Crown has done some great stuff too ( not as much this year).  While I think there are some great drill moments,  I find it quite ironic that years ago there was a collective sigh about too much emphasis on drill and not on music.  Agree though, when you have a nice balance,  it does make a show interesting.  I think SCV is doing that this year especially.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

I do like the drill SCV puts out every year.  They are one of my favorite corps to watch drill wise.   I think Crown has done some great stuff too ( not as much this year).  While I think there are some great drill moments,  I find it quite ironic that years ago there was a collective sigh about too much emphasis on drill and not on music.  Agree though, when you have a nice balance,  it does make a show interesting.  I think SCV is doing that this year especially.

Ironically Crown just secured Jeff Sacktig so it is a bit amusing you feel that this year's edition of Crown's drill isn't as great

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

Of what I’ve seen this year which is still limited, Crown has the best single drill moment. It’s a big triangle that rotates  3 smaller triangles back into one

I too want better drill

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Just pointing out that in the Cavaliers clip shown in the first post, that the brass isn't playing.

That's not a complaint, just an observation.

I picked that moment specifically to show that drill alone can coax out an audience reaction.

Edited by cube
  • Like 2

Yes! Although I never marched- the Cavies were King when I was age eligible...and their awesome drill is what I came to expect from a DCI show.

While I love these shows my critique of the 00s cavaliers is that visual proficiency was clearly the emphasis with sacrifices made elsewhere in the show.  These were watch from the high camera shows... certainly not listen to in your car on the way to work shows. My favorite Cavaliers show is actually Mad World...that show had it all for me.

I don't know if drill will ever get as intense as your clip again but there are a lot of shows this year (SCV) that have a nice taste of great drill but also have a lot more going on too.